START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCX

mCX Blade (eFlite) Micro CX Helicopters Information and Help

Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
biker007
Registered Users

Default MCX2 and DX6i FWD Speed

Any ideas on how to get a better fwd speed with the dx6i.. At least as good as the rtf controller. I maxed out the settings but still flies slow fwd!! Thx
biker007 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Pfloyd
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In hi-rate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
biker007
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep..
biker007 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
HeliBry
Registered Users

Me too...
HeliBry is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Pfloyd
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have it on fast rate, are you using the longer set of balls on the swash??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
mwierowski
Registered Users

First off I am by no means any sort of expert and new to flying helis, so if this information is mis-informative I would like someone to correct me so that I can learn as well.

I have the mCX2 and a DX6i as well. I noticed when I first bound the two together that the servo travel with the DX6i was not as much as the stock transmitter even with all the D/R options set to 100. I have all my setting programmed in the radio under mode '0'. I noticed that the Gyro option was set to 50% by default and bumped this to 100% for mode 0. This one setting has appeared to have increased the servo travel and hence increased the the response and speed of the mCX2.

I also messed with the Travel Adj settings, but didn't see any additional servo travel past 100, so I have all of them set to 100 currently.

After reading the DX6i manual as to what the Gyro function does, I can not explain why this increased the servo travel. But you may want to try this to see if it helps with your forward speed.

Thanks,
-Mike
mwierowski is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
mwierowski
Registered Users

Well I figured out the reason increasing the Gyro to 100 increased the servo travel. On page 12 of the mCX2 manual it states channel 5 requires full motion to activate dual rate in the 5-in-1 board. According to the DX6i manual, channel 5 is the gyro setting.

-Mike
mwierowski is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
Vovets
Registered Users

Exellent job, Mike! Solved the same problem with my wife's mcx2 and dx6i.
Vovets is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
GG07
Registered Users

Just thought I would add a bit to this discussion. I own two mCX2s and both of them were way out of adjustment in terms of the elevator servo arm which controls the amount of forward and reverse thrust from the rotor. I have found that all of my models needed some amount of adjustment to this servo out of the box.

An easy way to tell is how fast the model flies in reverse as compared to forward out of the box without any programming to the radio and the trim centered. With both of my MCX2s, they flew backwards way faster than forwards which indicated to me that the servo arm needed to be adjusted. My recently purchased second MCX barely moved forward with full forward stick and trim out of the box!

I popped the linkage off the swashplate and screwed the linkage clockwise about 4 turns, and this balanced the throw much more equally between forward and reverse.

I haven't done any programming of my DX6i for any of my models other than adjusting the servo travel on the aileron and elevator to 125%. I am now getting what I feel is excellent forward speeds and equally speedy left and right aileron thrust. You just have to be VERY careful when popping the linkage off the swashplate, cause that little ball joint can snap off if you don't do it right. (I grip the metal arm just below the black plastic linkage and gently pull on it until it releases. To put it back on, you push forward on the metal rod the same way while making sure that the linkage hole is lined up with the swashplate's ball joint.

Only model you can't do this with is the Tandem Resue cause it uses motor speed to control pitch, so in the case of those, I ended up sending both back to Horizon for repair to fix the problem with nearly zero forward speed on one, and a dead/siezed up airleron servo on the other.

In my opinion, the QC on these models is very poor and no two models fly the same way out of the box, but they all seem to fly in reverse much faster than they do forwards.These are physical push rod length issues that no radio trim or programming would overcome without over traveling the servo beyond a safe amount.

This is why I chuckle at the claim that all of these models are test flown at the factory!

YEAH RIGHT!

Factory Test Flight...

GG07 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
MrRoboHeli
Registered Users

Hi all, I tried setting my DX6i to 125% servo throw on my mCX2 but when in high rate mode, the servos stop moving before my stick reaches maximum throw when using that setting. I've since set them back to 100% and so am kind of wondering whether you guys have tested the servo throws on the bench at 125% with your TX and whether you guys actually keep hearing the servo move through the entire throw to that 125%?
MrRoboHeli is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboHeli View Post
Hi all, I tried setting my DX6i to 125% servo throw on my mCX2 but when in high rate mode, the servos stop moving before my stick reaches maximum throw when using that setting. I've since set them back to 100% and so am kind of wondering whether you guys have tested the servo throws on the bench at 125% with your TX and whether you guys actually keep hearing the servo move through the entire throw to that 125%?
I still actually have travel left at 125% if my ex6i woild let me I would go to.130 and see what happens but as is mine are not maxed oit in either direction.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
MrRoboHeli
Registered Users

Sorry to be repetitive but this is when you are sending 100% gyro to the heli as well?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Yes....but also note that my swash is set up so that it has very little reverse. When you manually trim the servo arms you gain travel as a side effect because now the servo arm is shorter.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
MrRoboHeli
Registered Users

Hmmm... Somehow that doesn't seem like it would explain my case. I had a level swashplate and when I tried +-125% servo throw, the servo would stop moving in the 5-in-1 (I could hear it) before I got to the end of my stick. It didn't "hit": the end of the swash plate motion and then buzz because it was stuck.

I'll have to play with it again and see whether I just messed up my DX6i settings the first time I tried it.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Try shortening your rods by screwing in the rod end a few turns....this wil give your more travel on the servo but not necc more throw on the swash depending on your other settings.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCX

mCX Blade (eFlite) Micro CX Helicopters Information and Help