Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Exclamation New v1 Owner Saying Hi...

I pick it up in a week or so, and it's already assembled and test-flown. I hafta say I am pumped; particularly since I am still fairly new to the hobby, but I'm taking things slowly and stepping thru the usual suspects (coaxial, 120SR, 250-size FP, B400, B450, m CPX)

I have yet to flip a bird, but that hasn't stopped me from asking questions. And I've become a regular one man pit crew with the ball drivers and the stupidly-tiny Philips screwdrivers! My plodding progress -- hindered significantly by the unseasonable weather here in sunny Ontario Canada -- is providing me the opportunity to learn a helluva lot about CCPM, and throttle/pitch curves, and gyro's and all that other mysterious stuff that we all know & love(?)

But the real learning won't begin until I'm standing behind it and spooling it up.

Meanwhile...know that I am lurking here in the shadows reading & thinking!

Cheers!
Ron~FordTech is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
corrosionate
Registered Users

Welcome!

As someone who went from 450 size to a 550E 3g V1 I can tell you that it may seem terrifying at first due to the size and sound this thing makes compared to a 450. The good news is, once you can get over the initial anxiety, you'll love it. It is like switching into slow motion. I was also surprised how much difference there was in visibility. I can fly this thing so much higher and farther away than I can my 450's it's amazing. I think that is a huge factor in my improvement in FFF and turns because I can fly it out and around more. I found that I can have more fun with my 450's now that I hone my skills on the bigger bird and then I become fearless behind the sticks of the 450's.

The 550 enhanced my enjoyment of the entire hobby in more ways than one. I hope you find the same satisfaction that I have.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
markleyland
Registered Users

Welcome Ron. You are going to love the 550, wont be long until you are "flipping the bird". Let us know how you get on. I can say since owning the 550 my flying skills have rocketed due to it's stability, and my 450 doesn't see the daylight anymore.
markleyland is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
CyprusFlyer
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Welcome from not so sunny Cyprus, just starting out again too so whare some interesting times ahead.
BTW, found a fantastic site, a fellow countryman of yours: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/
Covers everything, great info on Lipo batteries, bought 2 of his helicopter setup books, worth the money, great info on how to tame the beast for those early days.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
garyji
Registered Users

Congrats and welcome. You're going to love this heli.

G.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
mtuccio
Registered Users

Welcome! You are going to love the 550E. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
bike mad
Registered Users

helo, great bird and a wise buy, easy to get spares and flys so much nicer than a 450 but costs a lot less than the larger heli's,
one word of wisdom, before your maiden flight check the swash plate moves right before you fly, it takes just one bit of the 3G unit to be set wrong or go back to a defult setting to wreck a set of blades,
good luck be safe and have fun
bike mad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
smokin10
Registered Users

Talking Align T-Rex 550 helicopters

I just got my 550E V2 also, after a fresh starting new hobby ( from ProNitrous Drag Racing ) this is a lot more affordable, I started with a MCX2, then 120SR, then MSR, then MCPX2, then a SR, and now I am putting together a 550E, and all this started on Dec 24, 2011, OH and I forgot the Banana Hobby Goblin that broke day one and still isn't back for them........a month and a half later..........fr iggen customer survive and junk birds, I wish I could be the consumer protection agency, and keep that junk out of the US!!!!! but back to the 550, WOW what a bird!!, can't wait to see what it can do! Any tips on building? I am ready to pop the servos in tomorrow?
smokin10 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen! I pick up my beast later this morning, although -- and this was always the plan -- I have alot of practising to do on the 450 before I light the 550 for the first time.

I also didn't get bitten until late last year, and I too have churned through several heli's to get to this point. Unfortunately the weather here flattened my learning curve, so I've not yet flipped any of my birds. I've been having a ball with the mCPX [indoors] at work, but there are lots of steel posts and the floor is concrete...hence the lack of inverted flight.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
kouasupra
Registered Users

Enjoy it. I know I do with mine.
kouasupra is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
gmoneyhobbit
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post
Welcome!

As someone who went from 450 size to a 550E 3g V1 I can tell you that it may seem terrifying at first due to the size and sound this thing makes compared to a 450. The good news is, once you can get over the initial anxiety, you'll love it. It is like switching into slow motion. I was also surprised how much difference there was in visibility. I can fly this thing so much higher and farther away than I can my 450's it's amazing. I think that is a huge factor in my improvement in FFF and turns because I can fly it out and around more. I found that I can have more fun with my 450's now that I hone my skills on the bigger bird and then I become fearless behind the sticks of the 450's.

The 550 enhanced my enjoyment of the entire hobby in more ways than one. I hope you find the same satisfaction that I have.

Good luck!
i second this. i feel the same way with my 550. it really is a great skill builder. when i fly my 450 now i can really push it because of the skills i have developed with my 550.
gmoneyhobbit is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Well - I have to say I am encouraged by all of these positive (and optomistic) statements!

I picked up the machine on the weekend (Feb. 4/12) and found it quite straightforward to insert the tail boom, affix the rear fin...the tail case & the boom supports. I was initially stymied by the balance plugs on the LiPo that came with the machine (two of them - with locking tabs on each instead of the single JST-XH withOUT locking tabs that I am accustomed to)

But I have since discovered that -- with the purchase of an adapter I will be able to charge it up just fine with my existing equipment.

I was also taken aback by the sheer weight and bulk of the main chassis (before boom insertion) Geez - lifting it out of the box was like picking up an automobile alternator! I took a few pictures with my mCPX alongside (for scale and amusement) to show my friend.

Now I am struggling to learn the DX7 which is also a new acquisition for me. It is my plan to bind the 550 to the DX7, but first I'm looking for settings. I guess I've been spoiled by the HorozonHobby manuals...which clearly provide the parameters for all of my current helis!! I also need to figure out how to change the STUNT mode switch from the current one (FLAP) to GEAR so that it is where I expect it to be!

The number of owners who are swinging 520mm blades vs 550mm blades seems about even. The default/OE blades are 520mm, and Align has indicated that 550's are optional, correct? So how are people choosing to step up to 550's? Is it arbitrary? Just because? And/or does it increase stability even further? I'm assuming it would.

I have another 41 questions to ask, but I don't wanna be too long-winded!!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Smile

Question:
There seem to be eleven different characteristics that differentiate a v1 from a v2 from "an early" v? from a v-bar from a second generation from...

EGAD!

Putting aside the customizations that people do, and the variations in blade length and which of the staggering array of heads, BEC's, UBEC's, ICE's, ESC's. satellites, auxiliary batteries, photon torpedoes etc. etc. etc. that may or may not be installable...

What can I look for -- and write down in my logbook -- that will identify my 550? I know it has a AR7000 receiver, but I also know that doesn't prove anything. But I'm sure the ESC has a rating or markings of some kind. If it has such-and-such stamped on it...does that I.D. my machine as a version "X"? Or is there some other attribute that will verify its generation?

Many thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
1004ron
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A few clear photos, and I'm sure that we can identify it for you.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Okay - I'll get on that this evening! Thank you!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
taoY
Registered Users

Looks like V1 tail box, V1 tail grip, V1 tail slider, KDE performance tail upgrade, Fusuno V1 frame, and 600M motor.

And it's a flybar version.

No canopy standoff. More likely earlier model. Sorry, I do not follow the model number at all. Perhaps someone can tell you that.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
1004ron
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I sure does look like an early V1 FB, with the tail pitch links and frame being after-market add-ons.

It looks like someone lubricated the tail bevel gears - these should not be lubricated - attacks dust and then wears the gears.

That is a stock Align 70A ESC, using it's built-in BEC, which should be OK for sport flying. Check the numbers that are visible in the photo of the underside of the heli. This ESC is still supplied in the latest kits.

That's an unusual mounting arrangement for the GP780 - I hope that it does not cause problems - I'd mount it on the lower plate below the tail boom mount, where there's less vibration, and no need for that type of mounting tape.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /

Last edited by 1004ron; 02-18-2012 at 09:06 PM..
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
I sure does look like an early V1 FB, with the tail pitch links and frame being after-market add-ons.
The previous member said Fusono for the frame. Is this an enviable upgrade? Is it better/thicker/stronger/more easily repairable than the frame that would have come in the original kit?
Quote:
It looks like someone lubricated the tail bevel gears - these should not be lubricated - attacks dust and then wears the gears.
Yes - I noticed that right away when I got it. Not sure of the reason, but I agree, and will clean the area thoroughly.
Quote:
That is a stock Align 70A ESC, using it's built-in BEC, which should be OK for sport flying. Check the numbers that are visible in the photo of the underside of the heli. This ESC is still supplied in the latest kits.
Okay - so aside from being current (quite current? Fairly current?) is it a good unit? Am I going to wish I had a discreet BEC? Why?
Quote:
That's an unusual mounting arrangement for the GP780 - I hope that it does cause problems - I'm mount it on the lower plate below the tail boom mount, where there's less vibration, and no need for that type of mounting tape.
Isn't it better to locate the gyro as close as possible to the main shaft? Why do you think it might cause problems? And why do you believe that the lower/further aft deck has less vibrations? And why would I not use foam tape if the gyro were mounted in that location? (I was under the impression that the foam tape was important for vibration-isolation?)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Is there a better photo and/or any reference numbers that would reveal additional identifying info for my sharp-eyed friends here?

And I appreciate the input, gentlemen. I am obviously a novice...but not your typical 'bought-it-at-an-auction-without-a-clue-what-he-was-getting' newbie. I've been flying 450/3D's and the mighty mCPX around for a few months...and spending a hellishly long time with ball drivers, #0 Philips and a pull-down magnifier on my head lately!!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.