Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR


mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Psyklik
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Default Batteries for MCPX in an MSR?

Hi
I have both of the titled heli's. I noticed that the adapter for the charger on the MCPX will allow you to connect the MCPX battery to the MSR.
Now I know there will be some items to overcome, COG and battery location, but for double the flight time can it be done?
Has anyone done it?
Can the MSR board handle the 250 - 300 mah battery?

Thanks to all
Psyklik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

From what I have read on this forum they are too heavy and make the heli sluggish but I'm curious too, I have 4 mcpx batteries and only 2 msr batteries.
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Psyklik
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Default

Well maybe I'll get brave and try it. Get an extra MCPX landing gear/battery holder and cobble something up

If I do I'll post whats up :-)
Psyklik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
atv223
Registered Users
 
Posts: 315
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chester County, PA
Default

Should be safe with he board since both are 1S
atv223 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyklik View Post
Well maybe I'll get brave and try it. Get an extra MCPX landing gear/battery holder and cobble something up

If I do I'll post whats up :-)
I have a spare mcpx landing gear too now that you mention it.
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

This appeared to be bad news but it seems it worked out in the end.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....highlight=mcpx

As far as the landing gear goes, it looks like the mcpx gear would need to be shortened and might still interfere with the servos if not trimmed in the front.

<<<<<<<< Charging mcpx battery now and getting out the scotch tape for a test flight..lol
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

12 minutes of continuous flight, minus 3 or 4 stops to check the motors for heat.

I would call it a success.

The extra weight didn't bother me at all but I was only hovering around doing circles and figure 8's.

I got the cg perfect on the first try, the black cap on the battery was just about even with the back of the main shaft.

It was just taped under the stock landing gear but I suspect I will be modifying an MCPX set to fit .
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
wulfrun
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyklik View Post
Hi
I have both of the titled heli's. I noticed that the adapter for the charger on the MCPX will allow you to connect the MCPX battery to the MSR.
Now I know there will be some items to overcome, COG and battery location, but for double the flight time can it be done?
Has anyone done it?
Can the MSR board handle the 250 - 300 mah battery?

Thanks to all
You won't get double the flight time, the motor has to work harder because of the extra weight. You can get over 8 mins with the Turningy Nano-tech 160mAh or Hyperions but you won't get 15-16 mins from a 300mAh.

The board will have no problem because the voltage is the same. The motor will wear out faster and the handling may well suffer though.
__________________
Belt CP/Blade 400 hybrid with RDTS mod
Blade mSR, Blade mSR-X, Blade mCP X (V1), Blade Nano CP X & QX
Buzzfly BE (aka Walkera 4#3B)
wulfrun is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Psyklik
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
12 minutes of continuous flight, minus 3 or 4 stops to check the motors for heat.

I would call it a success.

The extra weight didn't bother me at all but I was only hovering around doing circles and figure 8's.

I got the cg perfect on the first try, the black cap on the battery was just about even with the back of the main shaft.

It was just taped under the stock landing gear but I suspect I will be modifying an MCPX set to fit .
Thats great news Liduno, 12 minute flight time will be good. The mCPX landing gear almost fits but you are correct will need a little adjusting. I'm going to the LHS later to pickup an MCPX landing gear to give it a try.
Post a pic of what you come up with for the MCPX landing gear on the MSR

Cheers
Psyklik is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

I think just cutting the ''H'' shaped braces in the middle, overlapping and gluing them with some CA might do the job.
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

It's amazing how much quicker you learn when you're in the air this long.

My mcpx is good for about 3 minutes.

At 12 minutes a flight and four batteries I'm getting some good practice.
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
hydro_pyro
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,562
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Default

I think heavier packs badly hurt cyclic response and make the controls sluggish, as well as reducing motor life from running at higher throttle. No thanks...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Modified Blade mSR
UM P-51 Mustang
UM Sukhoi SU-26XP
hydro_pyro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
I think heavier packs badly hurt cyclic response and make the controls sluggish, as well as reducing motor life from running at higher throttle. No thanks...
For as long as i get to fly and the experience I'm gaining, I will gladly replace a motor here and there.

To be honest, mine doesn't even get hot after 12 minutes of flying around the dinging room.

I am doing banked circles in both directions now thanks to the added air time.
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
hydro_pyro
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,562
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Default

It's not the heat, it's the brush wear. It's like driving down the freeway in second gear. Hey, it works, right?

The Heli doesn't even fly right with a pack heavier than 5 grams.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Modified Blade mSR
UM P-51 Mustang
UM Sukhoi SU-26XP
hydro_pyro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Liduno
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Palm Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
It's not the heat, it's the brush wear. It's like driving down the freeway in second gear. Hey, it works, right?

The Heli doesn't even fly right with a pack heavier than 5 grams.
Maybe I'll buy some 160/180 batteries later to lighten it up but for now the 200 mah batteries are giving me so much air time and helping me with orientation.
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR


mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com