Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Edwii
Registered Users

Default Aluminum MSR grips on the msrx? And Which brand? also swashplate?

I Want some Aluminum blade grips but I cant really find anything directly saying MSRX, just msr, they look the same, I just want to make sure if they are compatible?

And which brand should I get, Microheli or Rakon?

Also wondering which brand swashplate to get? (how durable is stock? I haven't broken it yet wondering if it happens very often?)

Edwii is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
crashycanuck
Registered Users

i have a rotor head and blade grips on order from rakon heli.

i hear that their stuff is the best quality, and reviews by people ive talked to seem to support that. i cant compare head to head to microheli though.
crashycanuck is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Chris Gardill
Registered Users

I also have grips, swash and a rotor head from Rakon on both of my mSRX's. I really like the swash and it seems to have more movement than the stock. The grips are a huge improvement and have come through several blade strikes that would have definitely killed the balls on the stock ones. I haven't tried the MH ones on the msrx so I can't comment on the differences, but i really like the RKH stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Varc
Registered Users

My HF Map location

MH head and grips are okay on mine. But will be switching to Rakons full red head.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Dont155
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
MH head and grips are okay on mine. But will be switching to Rakons full red head.
+1. Need red for better bling!! MH's stuff works just fine though. I don't have a cnc swash as I've been waiting for MH's... but the waiting's getting old...
$$$ + Heli Hobby =
Dont155 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Waynkel
Registered Users

Im also going with the Rakon stuff, the quality looks top notch!

I have the new frame on order, will probably wait a few weeks before I get the rest of the parts, most likely a swash next.
Waynkel is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
BigRHS
Registered Users

I have 2 MSRX's and have a RK grip on one and the MH on the other. In my opinion, I think the RK is a little better quality, but as stated above they both work. The MH grip I took off my MSR and put on the MSRX.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Metal
Registered Users

+1

I have only had my Rakon parts for a couple days. Thus far I am more than pleased.

The heli seems to be more responsive, tighter, and the bling factor is a big plus.

Only time will tell on durability. Although I had a crash yesterday that probably would have broken the balls off a stock blade grip, which may or may not have translated to the broken servo pushrod.

I have flown my mSR X quite hard from day one, and I wont jump to the conclusion this 1 crash was the lone reason for the part failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rakon Heli mSR X Upgrades 1024.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	300150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blade mSR X Rakon Heli Upgrade Final 1024.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	300151  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
Edwii
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help thus far, Having an mcpx... I find it hard to invest into my msrx and these wee parts have a huge price tag for what they are, and my money would be better used into my MCPX, like to go brushless...
But I am weak... And I like my msrx more for flying in the house over the mcpx... I am getting the red rakon parts as i already have a silver MH swash on my MCPX.

Thanks for every one's help.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
ronj
Registered Users

I am looking at getting something from Rakon. I plan to get the blade grips and would like to stop there. Question is, once you get the blade grip, do you need the rest. In time I probably will, but right now I will have to limit the size of my order.

It seems to be that the blade grips are the weakest link, so if I replace them with the CNC version, does the swash then become the weakest link?. I suspect it will so does the swash need to be replaced with the CNC blade grips.

And any thoughts on the need for the CNC rotor hub?

Thanks for all the great info I am finding in the MSR X threads. Hope to be able to add some soon.
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

The rule to follow in rc car racing is if using aluminum parts to never have two aluminum parts joining each other as the stress is indeed transfered to the next part as aluminum is much stiffer obviously. The theory is you want certain parts to break before other more expensive parts. On parts that dont usually give regardless of material it doesnt matter.

So based on this theory I still think the hub and grips are fine because I believe the weakest link in a crash now will still be blades or perhaps a main shaft but unlikely. Aluminum is mostly a bling mod rather than an upgrade imho but that may not be the case with the extreme hub as I heard it has more weight thus changing the cog higher in the bird....which supposedly makes it handle a bit better especially for noobs.

I dont know if that is true but I read that on another forum.

I dont think that not having the hub will hurt at all either as I dont see how to break the guides without breaking the plastic rods or popping them off which will happen first.

I think all ball links should be ideally titanium....but i guess aluminum is better than plastic.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
ronj
Registered Users

newhelicrasher, thanks for your thoughts. The guideline to not connecting cnc to cnc is a great suggestion.

I am wondering if I change to a cnc blade grip only, what is the next weak point. Will it be the blades, the hub, the linkages or the swash. Other than the linkage, do I need to change one of these other parts to a cnc version, or can I get away with the cnc blade grips alone.

Has anyone installed the cnc blade grip alone who can share their observations.

Thanks, ronj
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Edwii
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj View Post
newhelicrasher, thanks for your thoughts. The guideline to not connecting cnc to cnc is a great suggestion.

I am wondering if I change to a cnc blade grip only, what is the next weak point. Will it be the blades, the hub, the linkages or the swash. Other than the linkage, do I need to change one of these other parts to a cnc version, or can I get away with the cnc blade grips alone.

Has anyone installed the cnc blade grip alone who can share their observations.

Thanks, ronj
I am pretty sure the swash is the second weakest point on the mrsx, my rule of thumb is if it has plastic ball links, it's gonna brake.

The guide line for cnc to cnc makes sense, but I would think in this case it doesnt overly apply. The swash and grips are connected via plastic links, the hub and links are joined by the feathering shaft and rubber washers , and they are all mounted on the cf main shaft. in theory the most likely thing to take damage is the feathering shaft(which people manage to bend with stock parts) The main shaft, which is quite strong, and easy to make yourself to replace and the blades themselves. I don't think you have to worry about damaging any cnc parts even if you had an entire cnc head set, if they are gonna get damaged in a crash whether they be the only cnc part or among every cnc part they should take the same amount of damage.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post
I am pretty sure the swash is the second weakest point on the mrsx, my rule of thumb is if it has plastic ball links, it's gonna brake.

The guide line for cnc to cnc makes sense, but I would think in this case it doesnt overly apply. The swash and grips are connected via plastic links, the hub and links are joined by the feathering shaft and rubber washers , and they are all mounted on the cf main shaft. in theory the most likely thing to take damage is the feathering shaft(which people manage to bend with stock parts) The main shaft, which is quite strong, and easy to make yourself to replace and the blades themselves. I don't think you have to worry about damaging any cnc parts even if you had an entire cnc head set, if they are gonna get damaged in a crash whether they be the only cnc part or among every cnc part they should take the same amount of damage.
I agree fully which is why I mentioned on these birds once you go to aluminum grips the parts that are going to see the most stress are going to be blades and main shaft and possibly the feathering pins....so now it doesnt matter which hub that you use. I never heard of anyone breaking the plastic on the stock hub.Now net weight gain/savings is another topic all together.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
crashycanuck
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhelicrasher View Post
I never heard of anyone breaking the plastic on the stock hub.Now net weight gain/savings is another topic all together.
i did. one side of the guide for the links broke off. still flew fine because the other side held everything straight, but ive replaced the main hub with the RKH piece.
crashycanuck is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
BigRHS
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post

On one of my MSRX's ( the one i fly the most ) I only have the MH Alum. blade grips and have had it that way for a couple of weeks and i have not broke anything on the main shaft as far as the swash, anti-rotation hub, links, or any of those parts so I guess i have been lucky. And I have put it through the ringer too !
Now today I had a bad crash but did not break anything on the head or fly shaft, but i did have some bad damage that I just got done fixing.
It broke the antenna, off the board and somehow broke the battery cable loose from the board. But I did get both soldered back on and she flew great. but soldering the battery cable on was a bit_h ! just not much room.
I do have the alum. hub coming and the RK swash so I will probably find out what the next weakest point is !
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRHS View Post
On one of my MSRX's ( the one i fly the most ) I only have the MH Alum. blade grips and have had it that way for a couple of weeks and i have not broke anything on the main shaft as far as the swash, anti-rotation hub, links, or any of those parts so I guess i have been lucky. And I have put it through the ringer too !
Now today I had a bad crash but did not break anything on the head or fly shaft, but i did have some bad damage that I just got done fixing.
It broke the antenna, off the board and somehow broke the battery cable loose from the board. But I did get both soldered back on and she flew great. but soldering the battery cable on was a bit_h ! just not much room.
I do have the alum. hub coming and the RK swash so I will probably find out what the next weakest point is !
I dont want to curse you but I predict the next thing you break will either be blades or a canopy post on the frame. Maybe you will never break anything again and that is my sincere hope but if you do break something I bet it is one of those parts.

So far I have no aluminum parts (waiting for mailman to deliver treats from rhk) and I have broken the following parts:
Blade grips....three sets....have been flying the longest on a modified set of broken grips lha had no more so I replaced a ball with a screw....now they dont break...or havent yet.

Main frame....left side upper canopy post.

1set of main blades...currently superglued and working well. Broke both of the blades in 2 seperate crashes right at the blade grip.

Canopy has a small wrinkle in the nose ....was a huge dent popped back out as good as possible...hardly noticable...but I notice.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
BigRHS
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhelicrasher View Post
I dont want to curse you but I predict the next thing you break will either be blades or a canopy post on the frame. Maybe you will never break anything again and that is my sincere hope but if you do break something I bet it is one of those parts.

So far I have no aluminum parts (waiting for mailman to deliver treats from rhk) and I have broken the following parts:
Blade grips....three sets....have been flying the longest on a modified set of broken grips lha had no more so I replaced a ball with a screw....now they dont break...or havent yet.

Main frame....left side upper canopy post.

1set of main blades...currently superglued and working well. Broke both of the blades in 2 seperate crashes right at the blade grip.

Canopy has a small wrinkle in the nose ....was a huge dent popped back out as good as possible...hardly noticable...but I notice.
I bought the one i fly the most from itsmillertime0 and he broke a upper canopy mounting post. But he found a good fix that is much stronger than the oem mounts. he replaced both upper mounts with a solid CF rod and so far ( knock on wood ) they have held up to some hard crashes, but I am sure I will brake more.........that's the nature of the beast I guess......especially when learning.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

That is one of the main reasons I got the rhk frame...the canopy mounts are just pieces of 1.5 mm carbon rod and are held in with screws......easy fix so hopefully will be my last full frame replacement on the msrx...my mcx2 is on its third frame.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #20
BigRHS
Registered Users

yea, I love that frame !
That will be my next upgrade, but at $42 for it, I think i will put my order in next month. I have just spent too much this month ! I am going to order a new canopy as soon as I can find out which canopies will fit. i know the MSR will fit with re-doing the holes but i am wondering if the MCPX will fit also. I have never seen a MCPX and i don't know if it is about the same size or a little bigger ?

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help