Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Helicrazy2
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default OS Bubbleless Clunk or Lynx MOAS Fuel Clunk

which one do you like the best --OS Bubbleless Clunk or Lynx MOAS Fuel Clunk?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
bart2546
Registered Users

I have a vote here for the bubbleless clunk. I just like it over the other options I've tried which include a standard clunk and fuel magnet.

Regards,
Brandon Bartolomucci
Sent from my iPhone
Synergy N5c & E5
bart2546 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Jafa
Registered Users

Lynx MOAS - fantastic
9 months on and we have yet to replace the white filter

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
thefrog
Registered Users

I've been using the OMI Fuel Magnet for 200 flights without issue or the need to change the foam (regulated motor - no muffler pressure). On Sunday I ran the tank down so far the sponge was only half submerged - it didn't miss a beat.

http://helidirect.com/omi-eld-fuel-magnet-p-7658.hdx
thefrog is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
dchekas
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been using the OMI style fuel magnets for quite awhile.

They do a great job preventing the motor from quitting in 3D flight, and help the motor run more consistent.

You do need to maintain the magnet element, you can't just ignore it like a standard clunk. I fly more frequently than 80% of the people on this forum, so I change mine out more than others would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Darrick
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Raptor30_V1
Registered Users

Default Neither .. nore ..

Hello,

MFG should consider the real innovation ..

Instead of special clunks, the main issue to be solved is a constant pressure level over the whole flight time ..

When can we await for the first MFGs and kits having some uniflow-clunk tank system ? Pretty sure most rc-heliresource-junkies won't get the point here ..

.. instead you can spent more than for 2 meals for really exciting special clunks some nice guys will tell you, that you can't live without .. as long as you think it improved your system, why the hell feel bad about your spending ?

Somehow all of this special and expensive clunks *suck*, up to you what this means ..

Best Regards,
Oliver

P.S: The first issue is constant pressure, the second one a fuel-buffer by e.g. special clunks .. but if so, why pay more then 10 bucks for special clunks, if it doesn't address the main problem ?
Raptor30_V1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
frypan
Registered Users ):>

The bubble less clunk is still a clunk not a magnet.
there for it will catch air at the end of a flight
as the fuel magnet wont as much since its a sponge!

Dan
frypan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Raptor30_V1
Registered Users

Default but won't keep the same pressure level neither ..

Hello,

I guess you didn't get it, no offense just different audiance

To put it more simple:

1.) one of the few things improving the pressure change over flight time is an uniflow tank and sure, Yamadas have some advantage too because of their carb system ..

2.) If point 1 is solved, let's speak about special clunks .. but definetly not at the price they are sold

What's the point to have a special clunk to suck every drop out of the tank, if the clunk won't prevent your system to change the carb conditions over the flight time ? Or does your clunk system prevent the engine from running leaner with less fuel in the tank ?

Best Regards,
Oliver
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
AFjetmech
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The bubbless clunk works like a sponge, just not a soft one. It does hold a small amount of fuel during brief moments when not submerged. Probably not as much as the sponge units, but it does work and is completely maintenance free.

More stuff than there is time to fly it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AFjetmech is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Raptor30_V1
Registered Users

Default the pressure over time on the carb matters

Hello,

Agree, the capillary suckion is a nice thing, but won't prevent your muffler/ fuel/ engine system from having varying conditions over flight time ..

BTW: a header tank doesn't solve the problem neither, then simply flatens the pressure drop over tank level when flying ..

Even having a mother-s******-15-bucks-clunk (still amused, YES!), if you're addicted to real nitro tuning, you will feel a difference of the engine over the flight time. So called modern nitro engines still have pretty toy-carbs,changing not only by day-to-day, then depending the tank level as well ..

I would go even further: is it dishonest to get 10 to 15 bucks from people for a special clunk or just giving people, what they want ? Sometimes it's not marketing anymore, then just too many people being after your money .

Best Regards,
Oliver

P.S: When will we get from MFG all we need? No servos installed in side frames, easy-tool fool-pooved setups, simple-to-setup-carbs, new servo cables really for High-Performance servos etc .. etc. ..
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
wifeorheli?
Registered Users

LYNX MOAS!!! all i will ever run ask the pros what they run too lol bert and bobby all run the magnet

TeamRcHeliWorks.com / Team Novarossi / Pulse Lipos
wifeorheli? is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Raptor30_V1
Registered Users

Default get real ..

Hi,

What some of you guys try to do, is called *band-waggon* effect in marketing. Bring as much aspeople as possible to jump on a band waggon ..

If Bob and Bert, Alain and Tarek, bonny and clyde .. even your president does .. hey, you should consider a special bargain clunk as well .. pretty thumb gentleman ..

Get real .. distrust rc-heliresource and start to use the avg. 1400 ccm of grey, nature gave you

I would like to restart my question about the real problem behind .. feel free, as long it's not telling some sheeps what to do .. it's helifreak.com and not rc-heliresource

Best Regards,
Oliver

P.S: please welcome John Doe to the special-clunk team, now special offer .. please insert code *sheep* when asked and you will get a special discount on our 10 USD clunk worth 50 cents only
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
Cra-Z-1
Registered Users

Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
Cra-Z-1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor30_V1 View Post
Hi,

What some of you guys try to do, is called *band-waggon* effect in marketing. Bring as much aspeople as possible to jump on a band waggon ..

If Bob and Bert, Alain and Tarek, bonny and clyde .. even your president does .. hey, you should consider a special bargain clunk as well .. pretty thumb gentleman ..

Get real .. distrust rc-heliresource and start to use the avg. 1400 ccm of grey, nature gave you

I would like to restart my question about the real problem behind .. feel free, as long it's not telling some sheeps what to do .. it's helifreak.com and not rc-heliresource

Best Regards,
Oliver

P.S: please welcome John Doe to the special-clunk team, now special offer .. please insert code *sheep* when asked and you will get a special discount on our 10 USD clunk worth 50 cents only
I think you need to go start your own thread on your argument. Your griping about a $15 dollar part on a machine that eats $15 worth of fuel in less than a day's session! GET REAL..... Forget it.....I'm not even going to argue with you...but I can honestly say FUEL MAGNET IS AWESOME! +1

For those that havent tried it, your missing out...IMO.

I tried all kinds of different clunks, and even a header tank. It wasnt until I got rid of the header tank, and went with a fuel magnet that all of my engine stumbling issues were resolved. Never even have a hiccup now, and wish I'd have gone this route a LONG time ago!

But by all means...why would anybody ever trust what a PRO says? Lol......
Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
Jafa
Registered Users

Well said CraZ1 - I have him on my ignore list so I don't even see his rants unless he's quoted

The OMI fuel magnet and Lynx MOAS are expensive for what they are
But wait - what part on our heli's is not over priced?
Only takes 30 days in our hobby to work out it's a game of bling
Like CraZ1 I'm not sweating the small stuff

Some heli's with a good tank can work very well with a clunk and header
Some heli's have a tank with a difficult shape and a clunk location that gives inferior reach
I got sick of header tanks leaking (TT)
The alternative was to get a QuickUK header - $24!!!

The fuel magnet style of clunk reduces the clutter of a header and just works so well

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #16
Debrooker

Have used both and i much prefer the Bubbless clunk
Debrooker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
faceman425
Registered Users

How about we just go electronic controlled fuel injection and forget about it. It'll be here before we know it.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
Nitro Bird
Registered Users

I use the OS Bubbleless Clunk and a header tank on my T-Rex 600 and 700 both and never have had a problem.
Nitro Bird is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #19
tony stevens
Registered Users

You should try a fuel bladder then if your after a consistent tune from start to finish of flight, not as maintenance free like the bubbles clunk but does work a treat.
Id like to see a bubbless magnet, best of both.
tony stevens is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
rctintin
Registered Users

OS Bubbleless clunk for me.

I have a MOAS here, but it's so light, it does not sit into the bottom of a tank. That is with both Hayes black fuel line and thin walled silicon tube.

While at the Zone comp earlier this year, I spoke to a few of the top Europeans that came to the UK, and they all run the TSA Foam clunk. The difference here is that it is inside an alloy body, so it has some mass to follow the fuel during a flight.

Has anyone else tried the TSA one?

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?