START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Digital Don
Registered Users

Default Blade SR or Blade 450?

I'm looking for a CP helicopter and have narrowed my choices down to the Blade SR or the Blade 450.

I tried CP before with an ESky Belt CP and an mCP X and had no trouble hovering, but never felt comfortable doing much more than that. However, I've now 'mastered' my 120 SR and would like to give CP another try. Of course I know flying the SR or the 450 is nothing like the 120 SR.

Here are my thoughts:

Price - not much difference - the SR is about $185; the 450 BnF about $260. (I have a DX8 so the radio is not a issue.)

Mechanics - tail motor vs. belt-driven tail gives the 450 the advantage. Plus the 450 has updated parts.

Size - This a consideration for me. I only fly indoors (in large venues), but even they might be on the small side for 450 size helicopters.

3D - I couldn't care less about 3D.

So, should I go for the SR or the 450? Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks.

Don
Digital Don is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Jumna
Registered Users

Given your constraints, I'd lean towards the SR. A 450 seems pretty big & powerful for indoors with people possibly nearby, so SR. You could hold out for the 300x, a fbl belt drive the same size, but not sure when it will be released, and you'd be in the "guinea pig" first adopters bunch....

Jumna is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Digital Don
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Jumna,

I thought about the 300X too, but it's nearly $400 which is more than I want to spend up front. I'm leaning towards the SR but the tail motor is giving me second thoughts. Probably not deal-breaker though...

Don
Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Roblucky13
Registered Users

The SR flies like crap compared to the 450. It is harder to fly and is much more twitchy.

Get the 450x
Roblucky13 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
nartac
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblucky13 View Post
The SR flies like crap compared to the 450. It is harder to fly and is much more twitchy.

Get the 450x
+1000
Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Edwii
Registered Users

Ok here is my 2cents:

Get the MCPX. Everyone, and i mean EVERYONE of any skill level should have a mcpx, they are a blast no mater what, you will NEVER get bored of one. You are gonna crash. Even when you get beyond the basics of cp, and I am not talking about 3d, your still gonna crash. It just happens. Not only is the MCPX the bumper bird of CP heli's but parts are dirt cheap, if you crash or even just land hard anything above a 200 size scale bird, its not gonna be a 5 min on the go fix(like with the mcpx) its gonna be pack it up, find the salvage, go home, get parts, put it on the bench, and repair... And parts for birds of these sizes are NOT gonna be cheap.
Every part on the MCPX is around the $10 range ,giver or take, for the most part, aside from the electronics, (which are bullet proof so long as you dont give it a reason to short out) people have even flown into pools and ponds, dried it off and took off again no problems.

BUT if you have your heart set on a larger bird, Get the 300x, it's not $400 every where... I always say support your local shop but... http://www.ampdraw.com/product/29909...lade-300-X-BNF there ya go $320.
And since its smaller then the others the parts should be the next cheapest to the MCPX... But still gonna be A LOT more then the mcpx parts.

In the end it's up to you, I will tell you this in summery: avoid fly bar's, they suck, wind takes a lot of advantage over them and even on a calm day they dont feel as natual as a fly barless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edwii is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Digital Don
Registered Users

Thanks for the responses guys!

I had an mCPX for a while and my main problem with it was it's size. It got real hard to see real quick!. That made for some 'interesting' moments...

All things being equal, I'd probably rather have a 450 but I am concerned about the space I have available to fly. We fly in a couple of 'sportsplexes' which are roughly the size of 4 basketball courts side to side. That's a lot of space for my micro planes and 120 SR, but not so much for 450 size helicopters - expecially for a beginner.

The 300X is interesting too, but I just discovered a local guy with a Blade 450 for sale so I'll have to consider all my options carefully.

Don
Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Bladecpnitro
Registered Users

Avoid anything with a tail motor sir. You won't regret doing that. I have 7 Blade SR tail motors laying in a pile. Thats 70.00 plus tax laying there that's ben transformed into non spendable junk. The MCPX might be okay though. I still don't know why they didn't just make it a TT.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Roblucky13
Registered Users

Trex 250
Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
SoonerNation
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblucky13 View Post

Get the 450x
Agree. I have crashed my SR too many times to count. Most of the damage due to pilot error but the SR is a tough nut to crack. Many have recommended the mCPX. I bought one and couldn't be happier. It is a durable little guy.

I bought a 450 a few weeks ago but didn't have the nerve to fly it. I pulled it out the other day and hovered successfully on the first try. I did crash it the second day but that's another story.

I repaired my SR yesterday and spooled it up in an attempt to hover and it was just too damn twitchy. It's going to sit on the shelf for a while. I'll practice on the mCPX and fly the 450.

BTW, I bought parts for my 450 today from the above mentioned crash and parts weren't that much more than replacement parts for the SR.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Jumna
Registered Users

A good crash on a trex 450 means rekitting..... It's exciting to have a servo link come loose!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
nbells
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The SR flies just as good as any similar sized heli if its set up correctly.

Dont let folk who say the SR is crap put you off it. Yes the tail motor is not good but just replace it every so often or so and its fine, Ive had my SR for over a year now and only replaced the motor a couple of times. If you have a bad "tail " crash, then always replace the motor.

The bigger the bird, the more stable it is.

If space is at a premium indoors where you fly, then a 450 could be too big, especially if other people are nearby, thats a recipe for disaster but only you can make that call.

The 300x would be ideal but as you pointed out .... costs alot more.

If I was you, I would buy the 450 and find somewhere to fly outdoors.

nbells
nbells is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
kartooo
Registered Users

+1

i crashed ,crashed and crashed some more with my SR.
it's easy to blame the heli not the pilot. once i set it up right and had more stick time it became easier and i realized how nice the SR really is.
i bought a 450 after reading all the stories that got me to thinking it would make me a better pilot. once i became better with the SR i flew it. i feels the same only bigger and heavier. more stable in the wind,not as bouncy. if you get a progamable radio you can make these helis feel any way you choose. buy yourself a heli that fits your flying area. the SR fits my backyard OK, the 450 is a tight fit....
the 120sr was perfect for my yard.
kartooo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
joeblades
Registered Users

Or you could do like me,,,I ordered a 250 kit which I am still waiting for and that pisses me off. In short, the kit is 30 bucks. All i needed was a ESC and motor because I have 2 extra sets of servos and extra gyros. It also has a belt drive. So for about 100 bucks total,,,if you consider the cost of my extra parts kicking around......I will have a 250 belt drive.

And If I dont like it I can take the tail and main gear off and slap it on the SR for a wonderful moded SR. Oh by the way the kit has a full metal head.....you can get them from HobbyKing. and most of the parts are Algin compatible
joeblades is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
Digital Don
Registered Users

I think I figured it out.

One of the local hobby stores has a big sale each April and December. I'll pick up a Blade SR next month, play around with it, and see how it goes. Depending on how I do with the SR, maybe I'll get a 300X in December.

I really appreciate all the replies!

Don
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
Roblucky13
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
I think I figured it out.

One of the local hobby stores has a big sale each April and December. I'll pick up a Blade SR next month, play around with it, and see how it goes. Depending on how I do with the SR, maybe I'll get a 300X in December.

I really appreciate all the replies!

Don
I would consider strongly skipping the SR and getting the 300x. They are about the same size and the 300x will beige stable and more capable for the future.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Jumna
Registered Users

"For the future" is right - they aren't out there. And if you wreck and kill the fbl Rx, you are out more than the cost of a new SR!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Roblucky13
Registered Users

The beastx is almost impossible to destroy unless smashing hard into pavement. I have 4 of them on 2 450s, on a 600, and on a Frankenstein 700 I built with a friend. I have had some amazing crashes too!

I honesty think the SR is a poor helicopter for learning. It was my first CP and almost made me give up. Get a Trex 250 FBL. You can sell the 3GX if you want and get a BeastX, but if you get the super combo, you will have what you need.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
olemil
Registered Users

My vote would go for the 300x also, the money spent on a small 250 would buy the 300x and be much easier to work on I bet. Hell for not much more you can buy an Align 500e super combo, that will hopefully be my next bird.
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, DJI Flamewheel F450 w/Naza/GPS, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.
olemil is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
NickySantoro13
Registered Users

If your indoors only mcpx hands down but if outdoors or gymnasium size indoor area get the 300x or my pic the 450x. I went out and bought the sr and have done nothing but sink more money into it after every crash. The mcpx is very very durable but if you want a bigger heli then get the 450x. It's on the money with anything you tell it to do and the power/preformance is unreal. You won't regret the mcpx/450x.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR