Nobody flying?
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
The Dude II
Registered Users

Default SPRING!

Gardening, grass...outside projects!

Flew a few times since B-ham...now awaiting the warm temps again and something less than 15-30mph winds!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
forvols
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Location: Resaca Ga - approx 45 miles South of Chattanooga, TN

ahhh.. the joys of spring where temps and other weather related stats are perfect when we have to work, and horrible when we finally get time to fly!

Looking forward to our Wednesday session tomorrow afternoon, but expecting a blow out wind wise
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
=-ChrisG-=
Registered Users

Almost 10 month old twins have occupied my time as of late. :rolleyes: Need to get my spring pre-flight done. Looking forwards to some warmer temps too!

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk
=-ChrisG-= is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
forvols
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Location: Resaca Ga - approx 45 miles South of Chattanooga, TN

new bearings installed (new bearings don't feel any better than the old ones )

Tear down revealed a great looking engine! The only issue on this engine (now 3 years of service) is that the ring is silver all the way around and I have an obvious compression leak from the ring. Cylinder looks great. Piston looks great (obviously brown in the exhaust port area), but both bearings were silky smooth. I've ordered a new ring, but it won't be in until next Monday, so I'll get to tear this thing down again to replace the ring.

Do I need to bother with trying to find an appropriate hone to hit the liner with when I replace the ring?

Anyway... the OS 50 fired right up after replacing the bearings. Good to know I didn't destroy the engine during the replacement eh?

I replaced the tail slider ring and the brass slider. Glad Dale advised me that the brass slider was reverse threaded! Makes sense considering the direction of rotation, but I wouldn't have thought of that before making a muck of things trying to get the brass slider threaded into the tail rotor yoke Thanks Dale!

So... Tx and Rx are charging. Glow igniter is charging, electric starter is charging. Plenty of fuel available.

I'll be loading all this into the work van in the morning in anticipation of flying tomorrow afternoon. NOA wind forcast for our afternoon flying session is looking like 14mph with gusts to 25. That means we will have 17mph with gusts to 28 Gonna be a bumpy flight for sure!

Anyone here really good at backward upright flight? I need to hook up with somebody that can buddy box me on my helicopter to help me get over the mental hurdle. I fly backward upright on the sim completely effortlessly. Using realflight 3.5 with all kinds of varying wind conditions and having absolutely no problems whatsoever! I can do well coordinated turns, medium speed, fast, relatively slow. I can do big turns, and tight turns. I can spend virtual tanks doing nothing but back to back backward upright stall turns (both shallow and completely vertical) with no problem. Yet, when I get the field I tense up, start shaking, and usually just say "not today".

I'm really tired of the disconnect between the sim and the flying field. If I can fly the sim like a pro, you'd think I could at least wholler the Patnera around for an extended time backwards wouldn't you?

I don't treat my sim time like a video arcade. I bail out of bad situations as I hope I would do in real life. I literally can fly for hours doing nothing but BUF, but am reduced to a shakey, nervous, lump of no confidence, doubting Thomas when it comes to doing the BUF for any lengthy amount of time in real life. Every so often I'll work up the nerve to do a circuit, but I quickly decide that I've had enough and will "save it for a better day".

Grrrrrr!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
The Dude II
Registered Users

Default Not trying to sell you anything...

Quote:
I'm really tired of the disconnect between the sim and the flying field.
mCP X!!!

I've found that it is SUCH a great little tool in bridging the gap

Keep in mind that it fly's like a 2-oz machine...itchy & twitchy when there's much more than a waft of breeze
(read as a fart can disturb it in a hover).
Because of the weight, it is very collective sensitive and you'll find you're flying the left stick a great deal more than with a bigger heli.
When carving turns, BUF, BIF or airplane mode, we're using collective more than we think.

If you're already a JR/Spektrum user...it's a no-brainer. If Futaba/other...the DX4e that comes with the mcpx(RTF) is really a POS and you're leaving a lot on the table and need to pickup a used DX7.

Keep in mind if you do make this step...it's a heli, built in a factory by someone who won't ever fly it. You'll need to get onto the forum & make the needed "modelers" improvements (really, well place hot-glue & med CA cure a lot of the slop).

I'm still very careful in BUF and certainly BIF...but one thing that has really made the transition easier is FBL. Having a rotor head-system that is VERY similar in forward AND backwards is such a help.
All said, still chewing grass in my undershorts when flying the big machine backwards!!!

Remember how much time it took just to hover?
Same applies to the next plateau of flight.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
flyingquisinart
Registered Users

That's what the guys at my flying club (that I finally joined) are telling me. They zip that little sucker around right in front of their faces and seem to have a ball with it. Crash it? Pop the link back on and throw it up in the air and fly. I just dropped a decent amount of money into receiver and transmitter batteries, and new ESC for my 450, and misc. household stuff, so I think that will have to wait.
flyingquisinart is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
breezer1
Registered Users

It has been incessantly windy here in South Jersey. Been doing the Quad thingie and it is a ball!!
Almost done my Next Level 650 build waiting on the flight controller to come (NAZA) and I got one of those MQx's The little bugger does pretty well in the breeze for it's size and it will do rolls, loops, and flips. I even had it in a Funnel! Onlyiest problem is size. The already small gets really really small really really quick. Loads of fun though! It can take a pretty good crash and survive (three so far) Just have to chop the throttle off and let it fall. Worst damage so far has been one bent prop blade which I straightened and am still flying.

Breezer1
breezer1 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support