Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Waynkel
Registered Users

Default 120SR - GAUI Hurricane 255 Landing Gear - Tutorial

Hey guys,

I know a lot of people are interested in this mod and as far as I know there are no how-to's on the process, so here is my first attempt at one!

Parts list - I ordered my stuff from Rick at clubheli.com

207044 Gaui High Rigidity Landing Gear Brace Set $3.50
207150 Gaui Landing Gear Skids $2.95

Came out to a total of $9.20 shipped, my skids are black anodized but I noticed there are at least 3 different colors (silver, grey and black).

Tools needed -

2 pairs of pliers (I used 1 vice grip, and 1 needle nose with cutter)
Small Phillips screwdriver
Ruler
Drill
Size 57 / .043 drill bit (or similar)
CA Glue

STEP 1 - First you need to snip off your stock landing gear and leave just the posts/base as pictured below -

STEP 2 - You will most likely have the posts out while cutting up your stock landing skids, keep them available and proceed to snip off the tip of the post exposing a small section of pin as pictured below -

STEP 3 - Once the pin is exposed use one of your pliers (in my case the vice grip) to hold the pin and your other plyer to grab the plastic base and twist them apart.

STEP 4 - Measure the distance between center pin to center pin and use this measurement to proceed and drill new holes in both of your new GAUI braces as pictured below -

STEP 5 - Now screw the supplied screws that came with the GAUI braces all the way into each hole, followed by threading your new pin-less base onto the other side, example below -

STEP 6 - Perform Step 5 for both skids and now you are ready to press both braces onto your 120SR and assemble the skids.

NOTES -

Clearance is VERY tight on the main shaft of the motor gear. You can either back out the screws a half turn or maybe use a washer. I chose to leave mine as is, but I may add a small washer to each side in case of a hard landing, we wouldn't want to put any unnecessary stress on the motor by binding it up with the braces.

CA glue the skids in place on the UNDERSIDE so the glue is not as visible, also CA the white tips into the skids so they do not pop out on crashes.

FINAL RESULTS -

I hope this help's everyone get a better idea of whats required and if anyone was on the ropes about upgrading, hopefully it will help you decide.

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

That looks great, thanks for the info. What about boom supports for that gear? I will have to google it to see if such a thing exists.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Waynkel
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhelicrasher View Post
That looks great, thanks for the info. What about boom supports for that gear? I will have to google it to see if such a thing exists.
Ty sir, and your welcome. I will add the boom support at a later date, but if you want one in addition to doing this mod I would suggest getting the rakon kit here, this is what I will be doing in the near future. Im not positive but you may be able to avoid drilling new holes in the GAUI braces if you get this at the same time.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynkel View Post
Ty sir, and your welcome. I will add the boom support at a later date, but if you want one in addition to doing this mod I would suggest getting the rakon kit here, this is what I will be doing in the near future. Im not positive but you may be able to avoid drilling new holes in the GAUI braces if you get this at the same time.

Ah yes...i had seen that before and was hoping that perhaps your guai gear would have something that works a bit cheaper than that kit as I already was considering 250trex skids with that kit....but now I am being a cheap bastard on my 120 as i await the 130x!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Waynkel
Registered Users

LOL yeah, I might keep the 120SR as-is with the addition of the xtreme motor I just bought, in anticipation of the 130X. I should have the remainder of my mSRX Rakon parts soon, so I will just finish that project and enjoy it until the 130 comes out.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
newhelicrasher
Registered Users

Just a non related comment. I like how you made use of the extreme decal sheet xtra decals with the tips in chrome on your flybar. I did the same to some msrx blades and it looked cool til I broke them
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Waynkel
Registered Users

Has anyone done this mod yet? Post up some pics if so!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Murf.
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have not yet, but after I get a Dx6i and learn to fly better, I plan to do the exact thing you have done here. Thanks for the tutorial. I appreciate it - I've saved it as a favorite.

mCPX V2 | mCX2 | Nano QX | OrangeRX T-Six TX
Murf. is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help