Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
bundydeity
Registered Users

Default blade 400 stock gyro help

hi all, new to this site and still learning, been flying on and off for few years - blade 400 has spent a lot of time boxed up unfortnately.

I have previously upgraded to hs-65 metal gear servos, but left in the stock gyro and servo, have re-built the tail and changed main shaft etc many times. Since rebuilding the tail I have had nothing but problems - the tail wags back and forth quite aggressively which makes it almost impossible to fly.
I have searched lots of settings for the gyro using the ds6i, adjusting the settings up and down but nothing seems to stop the wagging. According to the blade400 manual (from what i can understand) the gryo is controlled remotely in the ds6i, not by the pot adjustment
should i be adjusting from the pot, the controller, or both? If from the pot, with aggressive tail wag, should I increase + it or minus - it??
I have tried going up and down lots of settings in the ds6i and have pretty much given up.
any help with this would be much appreciated.
thanks
bundydeity is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Bee_random
Registered Users

G'day, where in Oz are you?

Re. the stock gyro.
Step one disconnect the wires
Step two prise it off the main frame
Step three throw it out the window.

Alternative options include (in increasing quality); stock Blade450 gyro, GY401 - the real thing not a HK knock-off and finally the all mighty Quark.

However if you want to persevere with the stocker, then probably best to start from scratch. When you changed the tail, you probably changed the distance between the servo and tail, thus moving the tail slider and changing the pitch of the tail rotor. This is most likely the root cause of the wag. No biggy.

In rate mode (sub-50% on the DX6i) this will cause the tail to drift to one side or the other in a hover. In Heading Hold (HH) where the DX6i setting is >50%, probably at 67%ish it should hold the tail solid.

If the gain (%) is too high the tail will wag, if the gain is too low (still above 50%) it will drift slowly. As you may have guessed by now the stock gyro isn't the best. A good quality gyro will hold solid.

To get the most from your gyro, set the slider to mid-point by adjusting the length of the linkage. Set to rate mode (say 30% gain) and over outside gently to see if it drifts and adjust the linkage until this drift has gone.

Then set to HH mode and increase the gain until the tail starts to wag, and back it of a bit.

I wouldn't touch the gain on the gyro itself, others may disagree.

There are some great setup videos linked to the Blade400 bible, these will fill in the blanks, no doubt.

IMHO. If you ditch the stock gyro and servo and change to either GY401 or Quark, use a Hitec5084 tail servo and mount it on the boom with T-rex 450 boom mounts, you'll have a helicopter that will take you a very long way.

Another minor mod that I love is to add Trex 500 landing gear for added stability and ground clearance on the tail. ... oh and a couple of wheel collets to the flybar for great stability improvement.

Happy flying! B
Old 04-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
bundydeity
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

hi bee,

thanks for your post. im from perth, wa.

stock gyro - my future plans are to upgrade to the newer gy520 with the futaba 9257 servo, however for now will try persevere with the stock. (the 520 is rather expensive!)
your right - i did have to adjust the linkage towards the tail rotor - after changing parts in the tail end, whenever i put in a battery, the servo would push the tail rotors, from standing behind the heli, all the way left (from memory?), so i played around with the linkage to make the tail slider in the central position at start up. i also double checked full movement so there was no binding in either direction (there initially was but i fixed that)
thinking about it, this is probably wrong as there won't be enough pitch in the tail rotor at start up to overcome main blades (i have noticed on powering up the helicopter does initially spin a little in one direction, but stops as i get towards half throttle)

i never flick between HH modes, always have it in position "0" on the dx6i, and im using the stock settings - 0- 66.5%, 1- 64%. I have tried going up near 80% on position 0 and lower around 58%, trying to fix the problem, however the tail wag would only be slower, or sometimes it would disappear but when hovering would twitch a fair bit

I'll try what you said, start at 30% and work my way up in position "0" (i believe heading hold is position 1?? not sure), adjust linkage to keep the helicopter from spinning, then work on the correct % setting on the dx6i.

thanks again for your help, i hope i can FINALLY fix this problem, i did previously do a lot of research, blade 400 bible included, but couldn't seem to find an answer - either that or I'm not applying it properly.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Bee_random
Registered Users

Perth is nice. Still have that big wheel next to the ferry terminal?

FYI the 0 & 1 options on the gyro switch don't automatically mean 'rate' or 'HH'. They refer to the two options you have for gain.

If both are set above 50% then they are both HH.

In HH the gyro will continue to apply servo movement until the tail position has been corrected. You need to be in rate mode when setting up. Do check out Sokals video as this explains it far better than I can.

Cheers, B
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users

I agree with the B!

I have a fairly extensive collection of new G110 gyros. None of them track well. I use them for upgrading coaxials for guys. Toss that sucker! Next, go to Hobbyking and order a cheap Assan GA250 gyro for $10. This little cheap memms gyro will blow the socks off the stock G110 eflite and get you by until you can afford something nicer.

Next, boom mount your tail servo! Problem solved.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
bundydeity
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

hi guys,

thanks for the posts. i have gone through the mechanical setup (finless vids are the bomb), that all appears good.
after doing a bit more research, i have come to the belief the stock tail servo has died (or the gyro itself, or both) as i did also have it set to digital, not standard, which i have learnt can kill the stock servo.
I've decided to upgrade both the gyro and tail servo, either to a quark or gy520 (leaning towards quark as its cheaper and still has good reviews!!) and probably a hitec metal gear servo to suit. back to the cupboard for the 400 til i have the money!!!
only thing im not sure about is the belt tension - descriptions for checking this are pretty unclear.
thanks again for your posts!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters