Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios


2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default DX8 Gyro Settings (Please Help)

Hellooo everyone, I have had my DX8 for a few months now actually just got it back from HH for RF repair service. I have a Trex 250 with a GP750 gyro. my problem is I bought the 250 off another member and he gave me his settings from his DX7 which seemed to work well, but I had a minor crash and replaced some tail parts. It wasn't quite right so I messed with the settings and now I can't get the tail to not spin. When I spool her up in normal mode it holds for a few seconds but when I give it more throttle (enough to slightly lift) the tail just goes into an uncontrollabe spin. If I try to counter it I have to go full rudder in opposite direction which just makes it spin in that direction! The gyro is set up correctly, I quadrillianth check it over and over. If you go into main menu on Tx and go to gyro I have CH: at gear, Sw is gyro and currently POS is 70% across the board. I have tried everything from 0-100% only thing that changes is that 100% the tail twitches a little and then lets loose. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

As a test, change your TX from a Rate gain value, to a HH gain value and confirm the the gyro status LED changes color show the change in mode, just to confirm that the gain channel assignment is correct.

Typically uncontrolled yaw is a result of the gyro compensation being the wrong direction.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....77#post3069277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
With the DX8 0 to +100 is HH, and -100 to 0 is Rate mode.

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

Forgive my ignorance as I'm pretty new to setting up a radio. I changed the settings per your pic. and Rate is no longer there, so I assume it is in HH now. The gyro still has green light, but it was green when my display showed rate as well. Long story short, still spins.
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
JoeW
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,877
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oakville, ON - CDN
Default

You're on to something there.

On the dx8, most gyros will have rate from -100 to 0 and HH from 0 to 100

If the light isn't changing colours, you're not changing between rate and HH, you're only switching between two HH values likely.

In his example the only value that would be in rate is the TH value.

Either your radio values are wrong, or you don't have the remote gain wire hooked up to the right channel.
__________________
TRex 250 DFC | TRex 250 DFC (Scale)
2 @ TRex 450 DFC | TRex 450 Pro 3G (Scale)
TRex 550 DFC
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Forgive my ignorance as I'm pretty new to setting up a radio. I changed the settings per your pic. and Rate is no longer there, so I assume it is in HH now. The gyro still has green light, but it was green when my display showed rate as well. Long story short, still spins.
You can use the picture example, but just make sure that you set the output channel to "Gear", if you have the gyro gain lead plugged into Gear on the RX.

Using the example pic, when you flick the TH switch ON/OFF you should see the gyro status LED change color, and that will confirm that you have the gain channel correctly assigned.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

I've confirmed yellow wire from gyro is in gear spot on Rx. But the light on gyro does not change color when I give it throttle. It just stays green
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
I've confirmed yellow wire from gyro is in gear spot on Rx. But the light on gyro does not change color when I give it throttle. It just stays green
It won't change when you give throttle - it will change when the gyro gain value switches between a HH and a Rate mode value.

If the LED is not responding to gain changes, then it's likely that the gain channel hasn't been correctly assigned.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

It will change to red if I go to aux 1 or 2 instead of gear. I was watching the tail slider when it was spooling up and I noticed that slowly creeps inward toward the boom, if I correct it it will slowly creep back again.
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
It will change to red if I go to aux 1 or 2 instead of gear. I was watching the tail slider when it was spooling up and I noticed that slowly creeps inward toward the boom, if I correct it it will slowly creep back again.
You need to establish a degree of confidence that the gain channel is correctly assigned, and that the gyro correction direction is correct.

When in doubt, I spool up on a smooth surface without the skid rubbers, and that way the heli is free to spin if you give small rudder commands and you can gauge the gyro reactions.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /

Last edited by 1004ron; 04-19-2012 at 08:00 PM..
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

When you say gain channel do you mean where the gyro is plugged in on the Rx? I am spooling it up on my Hwood floor, and I can say for sure that if I wiggle the tail the servo reacts properly and that when I spool it up and the tail breaks loose into a fast spin I can counter it on the rudder stick with little reaction until I am just about at the stick limits then it shoots into the other direction. Sorry for being such a newb, I appreciate your patience
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
When you say gain channel do you mean where the gyro is plugged in on the Rx?
Yes - if you you have the gyro yellow wire in the RX "Gear" channel, then that you need to assign the TX gyro output to "Gear" - it should look the same as my pic, except show "Gear" where mine shows "AUX2".
Quote:
I am spooling it up on my Hwood floor, and I can say for sure that if I wiggle the tail the servo reacts properly and that when I spool it up and the tail breaks loose into a fast spin I can counter it on the rudder stick with little reaction until I am just about at the stick limits then it shoots into the other direction. Sorry for being such a newb, I appreciate your patience
That sounds like your gyro correction direction is wrong - if you view the tail rotor shaft and move it so that it comes towards you, then the tail pitch slider will move away from you and end up against the tail box.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

If I am looking at the left side of heli with boom on right and I twitch the tail towards me the pitch slider comes to me as well.
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

I reversed the gyro and it is much better. Now I have to tweak the settings. Awesome, thank you so much!
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
aerocal
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,996
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central California
Default

Hmm.It was ok and then after a crash repair it mysteriously got reversed? If its a belt drive tail are you sure it is spinning in the correct direction and the blades are correct?
__________________
Too many helis & Too many planks
Lots of DX radios & A couple Futaba radios
AMA member & Full scale plank driver
HELIFREAK !!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Hmm.It was ok and then after a crash repair it mysteriously got reversed? If its a belt drive tail are you sure it is spinning in the correct direction and the blades are correct?
Very good point, but I suspect it's to do with this:
Quote:
It wasn't quite right so I messed with the settings and now I can't get the tail to not spin.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
aerocal
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,996
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central California
Default

Yes.In another post he referred to possibly having the gain near 70.That kind of makes me suspect the blades may be on backwards.Maybe not.Ive seen this problem though more than once when the belt got put on backwards.
By the time I was asked to look at it gyro and rudder direction were reversed and blades were on backwards because tail was spinning backwards.No offense intended.Its kind of a newb mistake.Just sayin its something to check.
__________________
Too many helis & Too many planks
Lots of DX radios & A couple Futaba radios
AMA member & Full scale plank driver
HELIFREAK !!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

On second thoughts, if the belt wasn't correct, then the stick direction response would have been backwards, even if the pitch slider was moving in the correct direction ???
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Yes.In another post he referred to possibly having the gain near 70.That kind of makes me suspect the blades may be on backwards.Maybe not.Ive seen this problem though more than once when the belt got put on backwards.
By the time I was asked to look at it gyro and rudder direction were reversed and blades were on backwards because tail was spinning backwards.No offense intended.Its kind of a newb mistake.Just sayin its something to check.
Well I got the heli used from a member and I used his settings from his DX7 which got me in the ball park then I tweaked it a bit and it was good. After the crash I did take the boom off to inspect cuz the boom could twist in the mount. Come to find out the tab in the mount was gone. When I replaced it I put the belt back on correctly. If you are facing the tail rotor the blades spin counter clockwise. That's correct right? Bye the way thanks for the advice on sending my DX8 back to be repaired. They did it for free as a gesture of good customer service. I'm a big HH fan now. Good new on the 250 is that now I'm down to a tail wag. Hooray!!!
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Ponchota
Registered Users
 
Posts: 984
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: US, NH,
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
On second thoughts, if the belt wasn't correct, then the stick direction response would have been backwards, even if the pitch slider was moving in the correct direction ???
In my newb stupidity I may have inadvertanly switched it without knowing it. Watching the vids here they say to keep it in normal mode so that is why I didn't think anything of it. Thanks for your help and patience.
__________________
Stretched CarbonFbl Protos 500, Ikon, Scorpion 900kv, Castle Ice 75
Blade MCPX, MQX
DX8
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
1004ron
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,285
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Well I got the heli used from a member and I used his settings from his DX7 which got me in the ball park then I tweaked it a bit and it was good. After the crash I did take the boom off to inspect cuz the boom could twist in the mount. Come to find out the tab in the mount was gone. When I replaced it I put the belt back on correctly. If you are facing the tail rotor the blades spin counter clockwise. That's correct right? Bye the way thanks for the advice on sending my DX8 back to be repaired. They did it for free as a gesture of good customer service. I'm a big HH fan now. Good new on the 250 is that now I'm down to a tail wag. Hooray!!!
Correct, the tail rotor spins CCW.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios


2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com