Hello All again,

This is my setup:

Trex 700 Nitro
Cyclic=DS610
Tail=DS650
Throttle servo DS 610
Engine= OS 91HZr
Align b6t 2 in 1 voltage regulator

I seem to have problem with my BeastX V3.08 killing my servos. The very 1st flight after installation seem great, noticed how stable the BTX compared to Align's 3G FBL. Anyway, in normal mode she will hover beautifully. However, in idleup 1 1950 RPM and 2 2050 RPM, the heli started to drift to the left. So I added the 3m transparent tape that is recommended 2 layers - still drifting left 3 layers still drifting. Just before landing, I lost aileron input control. Auto landed and noticed the aileron servo very hot and lots of play. The gears were not stripped but the I could smell the it burnt and hot. Replaced the servo and removed and reinstalled BTX on the oposite side of the heli in the nose (flat). ran it again now it drifts to the right.- again only in idleup 1 and 2. So I removed it and installed on the side of the frame (verticle). Changed the setup to verticle mount and even went through the entire setup up again - everything doubled and trippled checked. Flew the heli again just 8" off the ground the heli pitched forward and blades broke into many pieces and the the throttle was stuck open. replaced main shaft and spindle and test it again without the main/rudder blades. started the motor and reved and the throttle seems slugish when I bring the throttle to 0 - the delay is very obvious and the aileron servo is not moving in sync with the pitch and elevator servos when I give full positive and negative pitch. servos just dont seem happy Help!

I am thinking that I may have a voltage problem? Should I run a separate external bec? Anyone else encounter similar problems? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
black mamba is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
pbm77
Registered Users

You are sure you have blue light in the servo setup? I have absolute no problems with 610 servos and the beast. Also check for any binding in the head.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
rcflier1
Registered Users

beastx, 610's on cyclic, 620 on throttle and 650 on the tail. no issues at all.it has to be your set-up. did you program the servo frequencys correctly? thats what it sounds like
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
sansone
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
beastx, 610's on cyclic, 620 on throttle and 650 on the tail. no issues at all.it has to be your set-up. did you program the servo frequencys correctly? thats what it sounds like
+1
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
JasonJ
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, make sure you have your servo settings in your Beastx right. Too high a frequency will toast the servos. I have gobs of flights on my beastx/610/align 2-in-1 setup with no ill effects. Good luck...
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Yeah, make sure you have your servo settings in your Beastx right. Too high a frequency will toast the servos. I have gobs of flights on my beastx/610/align 2-in-1 setup with no ill effects. Good luck...
+1 ..The frequency on mine is set to 65Hz..Reason for that is my buddy that set it up said its easyer on the servos and uses very little power from the battery..
This is for my 700N with V3.0 BeastX and Align DS610s ..Im only pulling about 300mAh each flight which is low for my flying..
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
black mamba
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My servos are setup for correct frequencies. Performed setup again, swash is level and servos are 90 perfect. I checked everything twice - No binding occurring. I noticed one thing last night after posting; on the under side of the voltage regulator it seems sunken in - it appears that the regulator got really hot and the plastic is deformed. I have a new one still in the box I think Ill replace it.

I built a 700E using the DS610 servos and BeastX - absolutely no issues.

As always, thank you all for your replies. I'll keep banging away.

Aloha!

Mamba
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Train Fixer
Registered Users

Have you checked the voltage output of the regulator?
Train Fixer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Starcruiser
Registered Users

My HF Map location

what is its current rating?
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would put money on it being the Align 2-in-1. I've used a fair amount of them (probably 15 to 20) and they're buggy little things. I'd say 1 in 4 has had some kind of problem or reliability issue. I think if they were better built the problem wouldn't exist, but they haven't made any design changes that I'm aware of. Shame too because it's an incredibly good concept. The only thing the 2-in-1 is missing IMO is the "beep" and transmitter on/off switching like on a Switch-glo Pro.
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
black mamba
Registered Users

yes it was the 2-1 voltage regulator. Replaced it and no more issues. Too bad I fried 3 servos before changing the voltage regulator.Thanks a bunch guys.

Is any one running separate power to the beastx and separate power to receiver/Gov?
I am thinking of running an align bec with another 2s 7.4 for the beastx unit.

Any thoughts other than more weight with 2s and bec
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
black mamba
Registered Users

what govenor are you using?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wouldn't replace it with another Align BEC that's for sure. Even the stand-alone ones are shoddy at best. I personally like the Western Robotics regulators or the Castle Pro BEC (V2). I think you have to run them with a 3S+ size pack, but it's a switching supply and the extra voltage won't hurt at all. It's essentially like adding a larger 2S pack, or you can add a smaller 3S or 4S pack to get an equivalent weight/capacity value using multiple cells.

There are also some good regs that will run specifically on 2S power that would be a good option, but I'm not as familiar with them and most don't give you the same 10 amp capability of the bigger BEC's. Not that you'd really need it with 610's, but it couldn't hurt to have the extra overhead.

I use a Multi-Gov Pro. By far it's the best one I've used with the Curtis ATG being a close second. The MGP gives you a few more options and doesn't need to be tach'd to get the correct headspeeds, so it's a very good system for almost any application (30 to 90 size or even gassers). The Align governor works well for what it is and you can get them super cheap, but I think the MGP's go for pretty cheap used all the time (I bought one with the screen and extra cables/sensors for around $80 not too long ago).
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
nwmtech

My HF Map location

I highly recommend running this Safe Switch Duo Pro in conjunction with a 6.6v LiFe battery like this one http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HP-FR21002S. Awesome setup with superb reliability. Leave the tail unregulated at 6.6v and use the built in stepdown for the throttle servo. I run the same setup on my 700n and have had zero issues whatsoever. The Align 2-1 is a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention with this setup you'll be running two separate power leads into your system so it's even less likely to fail.
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
black mamba
Registered Users

Thanks...I am also using the MGP and love it. I used another Align because I had a spare one. However, I'll consider changing VR in the near future. I watching my spending. But thanks for the recommendations
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

If you get a 6.6V LiFe pack,you don't need a step-down for the tail.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
smaze17
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In my humble opinion, there is simply zero reason to ever run a BEC or regulator ever again. Just make sure you have servos that can handle 6 volts then just plug a LiFe pack directly into the Beastx and you're good to go. I can't understand why guys still continue use BEC's and regulators

I suppose it could be because there are a few very good tail servos that are approved for 4.8 volts only. Personally i'd just upgrade to a servo that can handle 6 volts and be done with it.

S
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
scott s
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
In my humble opinion, there is simply zero reason to ever run a BEC or regulator ever again. Just make sure you have servos that can handle 6 volts then just plug a LiFe pack directly into the Beastx and you're good to go. I can't understand why guys still continue use BEC's and regulators

I suppose it could be because there are a few very good tail servos that are approved for 4.8 volts only. Personally i'd just upgrade to a servo that can handle 6 volts and be done with it.

S
Sure lets all run a life on a 250 to 450, NOT! I do and will continue to run a high caliber bec on anything up to a 550 heli 6s max. But then again on the small birds i use an esc with a capable bec internal. 550's get a western robotics or even a cc without failure but no more than 6s

PS all current good tail servos handle 6 volts regulated and so didn't some of the older ones but they were rated for a nicad or nimh pack which as you all know a 5 cell nimh at full charge can be well over 7 volts and a 4 cell nicad or nimh over 6 volts so that is why they are rated for 4.8. when they actually are fine on 6 volts regulated
scott s is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #19
gehrbox
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post

S
It's nice not having to charge an extra pack. I run a LiFE on my 600n because the LiFE is not heavier then a 2s lipo and regulator plus its simpler. But in the case of an electric bird I gotta wonder if a 2000mAH LiFE isn't heavier than CC Pro bec.
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
smaze17
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes I meant on the larger ships

S

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support