Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
chris s
Registered Users

Default Tail spins out of control

I have a new Trex 600 pro that Im trying to set up..

Itīsīnever flown but I have been through 4 sets of tail blades, 2 sets of umbrella gears and now a servo horn etc...

I bought the stock package from Align with Align servos that seem to work fine and the GP780 gyro. The gyro is set up as per the manual or at least thats what I think.

When I spool up the heli, at a certain rpm before lift off, the tail just spins out of control hard in one direction.

I have tried reversing the gyro but that has not seemed to work. The rudder is working in the correct way I think.

A year or so ago I managed to twist the belt on my trex 450 and the tail was rotating the wrong way. This is similar but my 600 doesnīt have a belt....

Help please!!!
chris s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Stevendavis
Registered Users

You not only have to make sure your gyro is correcting the right way, you also have to make sure your radio is set right. Meaning the rudder channel. Sounds like you either have the rudder channel going the wrong direction, or the gyro correction is the wrong direction. The manual shows how to set both of these up properly. Or you can look at a Finless vidio setup on this.
Stevendavis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Dan E
Registered Users

To check your radio, stand behind the heli and fold the top tail blade forwards towards the nose of the heli. Now when you give left rudder the top blade should swing to the left!

You can check your tail gyro the same way. While still standing behind the heli with the top tail blade still folded forwards grab the tail fin and move it to the left. The tail blade should follow you and also point left.
Dan E is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
integy2
Registered Users

Find somebody guide you through at the field, simple mistake of gyro reverse.
2 things.
#1 Gyro direction (Gyro unit)
#2 Gyro reverse (Radio)
Both of them need to b set up at correct position.

That's y you try to reverse the gyro still not work.
If nobody can help you at the field, Finless vidio setup like Stevendavis said.
integy2 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
blueprint
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe your tail blades are backwards.
blueprint is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
chris s
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your suggestions and sorry for the late reply.

I think I have fixed the problem. The most logical solution seems to be a combination of gyro/rudder direction so I compared the movements of the gyro/rudder of my Trex 450 ( which is correctly set up ) v the 600. By reversing the direction of the gyro and messing with the heading modes I managed to replicate the tail movements both with the rudder and the gyro.

So...I think I have solved the problem. Unfortunately I dont have time to change the umbrella gear for a few days so I wont know for sure until then.

If the heli works I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
chris s
Registered Users

Lol, I had it all set up in the garage, seemed to be ok.

Took it out in the street, turned it on and now when I move the rudder stick the gyro doesnt seem to work at all ie wont center the tail. There is no gyro input at all.. The green status light on the GP 780 is on...

WTF!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
chris s
Registered Users

OK, so I spent a few hours reading my Futaba 10C manual, my 450/600 manuals plus my Gy 401 manual. And I watched a couple of Finless videos.

Im confident I have the rudder moving in the right direction. Its very easy to reverse the direction of the servo as everyone knows.

What I cant do is change the gyro direction output.

Transmitter
My 10C allows me to reverse the gyro direction on the transmitter screen but when I do that the gyro wont change its compensation direction.

Gyro
When I go into setup mode on the gyro, I get the green light for normal direction and if I change it, I get the red light for reverse direction. However, the gyro output is always the same when I move the tail by hand. It wont change its compensation direction.

At the moment my conclusion is that Im either missing something obvious or the gyro doesnt work correctly.

Is there any trick required to change the gyro direction?

Thanks guys
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
stanley1
Registered Users

there must be a way, if all fails mount it upside down??
DX7, TP820CD, Pheonix, Thunder power G6 Lipos
stanley1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
The Dentman
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you have a back up you can use? I don't know that gyro but you can try resetting every function on radio and gyro.. Basically just start over and see how it goes.. I know it's a pain but you'll get it soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
chris s
Registered Users

Default Sorted

I just flew it for the first time...man those blades are big and spin really fast!

This did indeed turn out to be a severe case of gyritis..I just couldnīt get the combination of rudder/gryo/transmitter setup working correctly. In the end I got quite confused.

I fixed it purely by trial and error by making a tray about 10cm high out of part of one of the drawers of my fridge ( the drawer was in the garage for repairs and just happened to be handy! ).

Anyway, this elevated the tail so it would not strike the ground and turned out to provide a nice stable platform for the heli to sit on. Duct tape provided the stickiness.

I gradually increased the throttle until the rudder became effective and then I could see if the rudder was working in the correct direction. It wasnīt so I had to reverse it. With the rudder definitely good the only thing to do was change the direction of the gyro. This took a couple of attempts ( reversed it on the gyro AND in the transmitter ) and the fridge drawer definitely saved my tail, pun intended.

The first hover was a success though the tracking is off, rudder endpoints need to be adjusted as well as more expo all over.

Thanks to all who offered advice etc and for the pmīs aswell.

Cheers,
Chris

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.