Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
JasonRP_7743
Registered Users

Default How good/bad is the stock gyro/servos?

Guys, sorry for the newbie question here.

I just got my Blade 400 used, and I have been practicing pretty heavy on the sim, and also reading up. I took it out after setting it up, and hovered it, landed it without major mishap. I need more sim time before I try forward flight..

Anyways, reading up, a lot of folks are saying "just upgrade to hs55 cyclic servos, get Futaba gyro, fast JR tail servo- then it will really be nice!" but that's 200 bucks which will buy a lot of repair parts for a newbie like me..

So, how good is the stock gyro? Assuming I will not be doing any 3d any time soon, will it hold the tail properly?

Are the stock DS75H servos good enough for sport flying? Or are these items a mandatory upgrade to have a flyable bird?

Thanks!
Jason
JasonRP_7743 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
butterfingers
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think that you'll find that the cyclic servos will strip gears frequently in crashes. They aren't that good, and I got sick of replacing the gears. I upgraded tl some mg, and haven't had a problem since.

For the tail, an upgrade will make it hold hearing better. The stock gyro is a piezo electric, which is sensitive to temperature variations and such.

My upgrade path has been a long one. First cyclic, then tail servo, then gyro, then esc, then ....

If I were to do it again, I would just upgrade all at once. Its easier to fly and more stable with all the upgrades. If you're going to eventually spend the money to upgrade the parts, and you have the money, then why not go for it?

Also, buy plenty of main and feathering shafts.

Just my $.02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
butterfingers is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
bundydeity
Registered Users

well i bought mine and was hovering it completely stock, but as i tried flight and different orientations i started crashing more and very soon stripped the gears. replaced that with hitec metal gear servos, and eventually gyro and tail servo died also so have just replaced that today with futaba gy520 and BLS927 brushless servo. havent yet tried it but from what ive read this is the best setup now.
personally, as they say, if it aint broke dont fix it - just replace the parts as they break with upgraded bits
end of the day choice is yours some people would prefer to just upgrade everything first
bundydeity is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
bundydeity
Registered Users

oh, and if your still learning i would definitely recommend buying the mcpx v2 (im sure lots of others will agree)
this little heli has given me much more confidence in flight with very minimal repair costs. i have crashed this hundreds of times and have spent less then $20 on repairs so far. most the time if you crash just pick it up and try again - you can never do that with a blade 400!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
twahlert
Registered Users

I tried to find the BLS927 servo but wasn't able to. Is that a typo? Who makes it?
twahlert is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
bundydeity
Registered Users

sorry, yes that was a bad typo. its made by futaba, see link below

BLS257 Servo

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/brushless.html

its under the "specialty" section.
that one is more expensive, you could use the Futaba S9257, in this link:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/digital.html

its under the "Large/Specialty" section. this is really the same servo, just not a brushless version, and will be a bit cheaper, but still very good quality. Both are digital servos. I actually intended to purchase this one with the GY520 but ended up with the brushless BLS257 instead

Last edited by bundydeity; 05-02-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: wrong code again :(
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
twahlert
Registered Users

Thanks. Those are a bit more expensive than I was thinking. Sorry about this newby question, I'm just trying not to sink a whole bunch of money into my bird while I'm still learning to hover. Is there a mid range servo that would work? Also, I noticed a lot of people are upgrading their gyro and 3 servos. What about the tail? Do people generally buy 3 mid range servos and one really good one? Just trying to get a better understanding of what people are doing. I have a stock setup right now.
twahlert is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Luvmyhelis
Registered Users

Start with your tail gyro/servo. Most stuff a used Gy401 on there. Plenty to be found now that guys are dumping them dirt cheap for roughly $40 here at HF. Next the tail servo has to go. Pick up something like the HS5084. Super fast and reliable. Next, boom mount your servo. Then onto the cyclics. Most of us made our first move up using HS65mg servos. And while you are at it pick up a separate bec and bypass the bec built into your Esc. This way the extra electrical load from the upgrades will not toast your esc. Now, you have a halfway decent heli. And one that will give you trouble free service.

Cost.
Gyro $40 (used)
Hs5084 tail servo $35
Hs65mg cyclic servos $50 (used here at HF)
Bec 5a $10 for a turnigy
Boom mount servo supports. $3

Your next upgrade will be to pick up an align or tarot style trex head with a 4mm stronger feathering shaft. Usually runs in the $25 range.

And as you read through the zillion B400 posts you will see lots of tail upgrade options.
And personally my fav upgrade for a new pilot.....trex 500 or 550 skid mod upgrade. $10.

Btw: welcome to the club!!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
JasonRP_7743
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow- guys, thanks for the awesome info!!

Quote:
oh, and if your still learning i would definitely recommend buying the mcpx v2 (im sure lots of others will agree)
this little heli has given me much more confidence in flight with very minimal repair costs.
Thanks Bundy! I do in fact have a mcpx- it's v1, but it is helping me. I still can't figure out what blades to run (standard or forward flight weighted ones) for stability, but it is building confidence..

I also found while looking over my Blade 400 that it came with 3 Eflite DS75H servos on it, and one Spektrum DSP75 servo- only the Spectrum was one of the cyclic servos! I am thinking of switching this to the tail- which I hear may allow me to run the stock 110 gyro in digital mode. Does that buy me anything? Also, apparently the DSP75 can be programed with a special box (that I don't have) to set the endpoints- which may prevent stripped gears..

I was gonna hold off on upgrades until I broke stuff, but if some of these will drastically improve how stable/newbie friendly this bird is, I may reconsider?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
bundydeity
Registered Users

i find it strange your cyclic servos were mixed between stock and spectrum servo - i've always been told/read that all 3 servos must be the same otherwise the heli won't fly/operate properly. Maybe if they are the same speed servos it will work? maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this. putting the spectrum servo on the tail and switching to digital will only leave you with a missing servo on the cyclic - i dont think the stock servo is made for cyclic as its a tail servo??

with regards to stripped servos - yes if your end limits arent set this will help reduce them stripping, however pretty much whenever you crash you will strip teeth off the stock servo. I have also heard with more aggressive flight these stock servos can even strip during flight without crashing!
you can replace the actual plastic gears inside the stock servo itself - save having to buy a new servo - but if you do this 20 times (ie 20 or so crashes) then you may as well upgraded to start with save the trouble.

if your looking at making the b400 more newbie friendly, search on these forums for 'beginner settings' or google it. plenty of people have posted settings for the dx6i that apparently make it easier to handle when your learning. ive never tried them myself. also google blade 400 bible - you will find heaps of repairs/upgrades etc tips there.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
JasonRP_7743
Registered Users

Quote:
i find it strange your cyclic servos were mixed between stock and spectrum servo - i've always been told/read that all 3 servos must be the same otherwise the heli won't fly/operate properly. Maybe if they are the same speed servos it will work? maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this. putting the spectrum servo on the tail and switching to digital will only leave you with a missing servo on the cyclic - i dont think the stock servo is made for cyclic as its a tail servo??
Yes- I bought it used, and that's how it came- 3 stock Eflite servos, and 1 Spektrum DSP75, but instead of that being the tail servo, it is one of the cyclic ones.. I think I might move it to the tail. I am currently researching- I think I can run the stock gyro in digital mode with this one, but I want to confirm it first. I too would feel the cyclic should all be the same servos..

I'll look around in the forums and in the already posted info too as you mention. I'd also like to find a spare airframe- just in case! :-)
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
JasonRP_7743
Registered Users

In specific, I am wondering what the weakness is of the elite ds75h servos? Is it just weak gears that strip? Or poor return to center? Slow?

It looks like the upgraded servos on the blade 450 might have stronger gears that just might fit the old ones. I'm trying to figure out if I want to save some $$$ and keep using the stock servos, or upgrade.

It seems hs55 will direct fit, but most people seem to be using hs65s. Do these fit?

Thx

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters