START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
BigFred
Registered Users

Default Raptor 30 servo upgrade recommendations

My collective servo (Futaba S3003) just died, and I'm ready for something a little more responsive. Need a recommendation for a good intermediate upgrade (I've got fast forward flight down, and am probably ready to try doing some acro). Don't want to go with the high dollar digital, but what's a good servo in the $20-50/per range that would upgrade the response some? Or do I need to spend some more? I know I need to replace the collective and the throttle so they have the same speed, but I'm looking at replacing all 4 minus the tail. The tail servo is the stock that came with the ARF. Thanks.
BigFred is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Kneedragger75
Registered Users

You are going to have to spend a little more for a decent servo. The Align DS610 is
a good servo for the money. Used by many, and quite fast. http://www.readyheli.com/HSD61001-DS...o_p_34650.html

By the way, there is no need to replace the throttle servo to match anything. It does not even need to be lightning fast because the engine and rotor head are kept at a pretty constant speed. Spend $ on the other three.
Kneedragger75 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
RaymondJ
Registered Users

I got some hitec hs5625's on my raptor 50 conversion, and I liked them so far. Similar torque to the 620s, half the speed, but 50$ a servo. Metal gear, dual ball bearing, digital.

Origionally I had jr ds811's on the raptor when I did the conversion and they sucked(I knew they wouldnt work anyway though), swapping the hitec made it feel pretty crazy on cyclic since they yanked the rotor where ever you wanted and faster then I need for my docile areobatic flying. No tic tocs on this raptor.

Edit- sorry I was thinking 620, I am in mexico and being a little too relaxed.

130x- apparently a good one. Mine just works crash after crash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RaymondJ; 05-07-2012 at 08:25 PM..
RaymondJ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
conefree
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Futaba 9202 or 9252 will work well too, plenty of the 9252 for sale here typically so you can upgrade and not break te bank. Ds610 are another good option as well
conefree is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
BigFred
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions...I just ordered the 610s from Heliproz. I figure if I ever get another heli (which is highly likely!), I can always use them on my next one after I outgrow this one. Most of the guys at the field use Aligns as well, so they must be good. I also didn't realize the throttle servo didn't have to match...I can't remember who told me that or where I read it, but that's good to know as well. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
BigFred
Registered Users

Finally getting around to replacing the servos. Question on the process for installing them. Here's what I think I should do:
- zero out all the subtrims I had in previously
- power them up and center them, then remove power
- install servo horns
- reconnect linkages, check for proper direction, check for proper centering

My real question is for my collective servo. Should I move the servo to full up (or down), install the horn and connect the linkage? The aileron and cyclic are pretty straightforward, but I'm thinking the collective might be a little trickier. I'd like to get it installed without having to do a bunch of trimming to get it's movement correct. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
fultonr
Registered Users

If you have a Spectrum radio then I would go to the Pitch Curve settings and look for In/Out percentages and then move the stick to where it shows 50% then put the horn on so it is 90deg to the servo. OR, copy out your pitch curve settings. Then set the pitch curve to 0-50-100. Put stick in middle, etc etc. Just remember to put the pitch curve settings back afterwards.
fultonr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Kneedragger75
Registered Users

All servos at 90 when midstick, 0 pitch. Collective also. Try and find servo horns that
are close to 90 with no subtrim. With the cross (4 arm) type horns each arm indexes
a little differently. When you get close cut off the remaining arms and subtrim as needed.
Kneedragger75 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
BigFred
Registered Users

Got them installed and working great. What a difference the higher speed makes. Took a couple of minutes of hovering to get the hang of it, but the helo is now way more responsive. Very happy with the change.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters