Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
rcmarty
Registered Users

Default rear servo (9451) mounting option - opinions wanted

I didn't like the way the rear servo stuck out of the frame and the servo lead (while short) being so close to moving stuff.

I wanted to get it inside the frame , this would look nicer , but most of all the servo lead would get a straight shot to the revciever and wouldn't require an extension lead.

I used some old tmaxx truck suspension arm hacked up for the front mount , the rear mounts are long 3mm bolts (savage truck shock tower bolts) and some carbon tube spacer (swift boom supports).

The wheel is in the same location as it was originally, maby a bit closer inline with the lever balls.

What do you think ?

My thoughts :
- being push pull i don't need to worry about the servo getting pushed around therefore causing interactions.
- the servo is fairly rigid in there , you can grab it and wiggle it around but it takes some effort. My thought is when the servo is loaded it will want to rotate (best i can think of) on it's mounts.

open to thoughts , good or bad , please give why for either

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2747_380.jpg (173.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg img_2746_195.jpg (209.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg img_2745.jpg (217.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg img_2744.jpg (168.0 KB, 119 views)
rcmarty is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Ticidytoc
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm not sure I would trust that set up. But hey, if it works and you like it go for it.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
rcmarty
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply ticity ...

What aspect don't you like ?

Just wondering how other see it , sometimes a second or 3rd set of eyes can shed some light on the subject.

Martin
Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
diamondtai
Registered Users

yes, why you Ticidytoc not sure to trust. i think it is a new idea....

any comment from the others

Trex 450SE V2
Futaba T9CHP
diamondtai is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
Ticidytoc
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The way the servo is floating out there on the 2 carbon tubes makes me nervous. But thats just me. If the mounting feels solid enough for you then by all means "throw it up" and have fun !
Old 07-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Bobbyk
Registered Users

I don't get it, how are you going to get it lined up with the elevator arm? Are you doing 3D or just hovering?

These things fly in the air, I would rather have a dumb tumb than to have a mechnical fail in flight that I could have prevented.

Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobbyk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
rcmarty
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobby .. the servo wheel is in the same location as a stock setup just spun 180 degrees around (spline to the inside vs spline out) , the balls are in same location.

Tic .. I like the mount but the carbon tubes are my least favorite part. I was also thinking of putting some tubes on the other side so i could run a threaded rod from side to side with nuts on the outside of the frames.

I powered it up last night ad i held the swash a bit to put some load on the servo. The servo did move a bit in the rear (carbon posts). I'd think the through rod would help that.

Now that i've thought about it for a while i think i'm going to make up some mounting blocks that will spacer the servo off the frame where it originally mounted. This way i'll have a square block for rigidity.
The servo would mount from the underside of the ears and to the frame in the stock holes.

Maby one day with a bit of therapy , i'll be able to leave something stock ... maby ...

Martin
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
mjws
Registered Users

I like your second idea much better. Any flex is bad. But seriously, don't see how this is an improvement over stock. Just sleeve the lead, mount it normal and go pound on it.

You haven't gained on the geometry. You've just made it even more hassle to service. It's bad enough working inside the frames without the whole servo in there.

As long as your mount can take the loads and be as rigid as stock, knock yourself out. It might be difficult to get standoffs (even square) as rigid as a direct bolt on. I do think the dead slick look would be cool, but hate servicing that location as it is let alone with a bunch more junk in there.

I know you just want to hear. 'Best thing ever'. I like the innovation but I think you're on the right track to keep working on it. Good luck.

Mike
mjws is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
electricdurango
Registered Users

With the 600N a 9451 requires a servo extension on the back elevator. What do you guys use for piece of mind on that extension connection? Pics on that wire run anyone?
electricdurango is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.