Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
antonish
Registered Users

Default VOLTZ batteries

I am using VOLTZ batteries (6S 5100mah 35C) on my TREX 550 for general sport flying and I am happy with them. I wanted to ask those of you that are also using VOLTZ, which sites are you using in Europe or HK to buy them online.

Thank you
antonish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
d.porte
Registered Users

Hi, i have a 6s 2600 and it puffed at the first flight. I also have a lot of kypom. Same price and less puffing after 50 flights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
d.porte is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Adventurer
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Many people don't like them. Seems that the C rating is fiction. I personally have never used them.

Listen to the latest (***WARNING*** Stop Spamming Helifreak) for a brief discussion on them.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
hioct8ne
Registered Users

My experience is different and very positive. Have been running the same battery - Voltz 6S 5100 35C in my Logo 500 for over 50 flights and still get over 8 minutes flight time with 20% remaining. Flying is gentle but with some full collective climbs. Also includes 10 flights over winter at -5 Celcius. Battery shows no signs of puffing - they are a close fit in the Logo frame so any swelling would be immediately noticeable.

A "bad" thing I do includes fully charging after each use and leaving for a week but doesn't seem to make a difference. I didn't run it in or anything like that and have used it the same way from new - full charge, fly, recharge, fly .....

Unusually though (compared to every other post I've read) I'm charging from mains so max charge is 2 amps which is 0.4C. Yes it takes just under 2 hours to charge but what's the rush? I'm not flying again until next Saturday.

Hope this helps.
JR DSX9
hioct8ne is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
antonish
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You actually described exactly the way I am using them too, in terms of flight time & charging habbits. Hence, I hope my batteries will last long enough. Where in UK did you buy them from?
antonish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
tank126
Registered Users

Have 6s 35c 5100 packs on a 600 esp. Utilized packs for 6s sefup and got over 300 cycles. Light 3d and learning tic tocs. Recently converted to 12s and an now using the packs for gentle flying and getting 10 minute flights. Batteries still going.

On the other hand I have friend that had a 3300 pack puff in under 10 flights. The pack was replaced though.
tank126 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
SeanM
Registered Users

I have about 30 cycles on each of my four Voltz 6S 1300mah 35C packs and they've finally started to plateau in performance after their 'wake up' period. I have been extremely gentle to all of them by flying them until they are at 3.8-3.82v, putting back in only about half of their capacity. I did over-discharge one of them and some cells reached 3.2-3.3v, but I can't even remember which now because they all perform nearly identical to each other to this day. Only time will tell, but I believe that if you're nice to your packs and keep an eye out for performance losses... you can lengthen their life by adjusting your charge rate and flight time.

I decided to go easy on mine when I noticed that they were losing a little performance when compared to the previous cycle, so I assumed that I was still in the break in period. After reducing my flight time and charging rate, I immediately noticed the performance increase during each cycle. I was charging them at 2-3C and flying them for 5 min putting back in about 850-900mah before deciding to go easier on them. That's when I reduced my flight time to 4 min and charge rate down to 1.5C. I'm finally now starting to discharge them past 3.8v to see how they perform, but I think it was crucial that I went the gentle route rather than relying on the 80% rule after a few break in cycles. If I had, I believe they would have continued to lose performance because they still needed more cycles.

Overall, I'm still very happy with my four Voltz packs and their IR is at the lowest that it ever has been, 5 mOhms/cell.. but I'm not going to buy any more until I see how long they last. I have two Gens Ace 1200mah 30C packs that I've been comparing, but they don't have the punch and their IR is slightly higher. I'm waiting for their 40C version..
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
hioct8ne
Registered Users

Got mine from Midland Helicopters
http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/

I only had the one battery but now my confidence has increased and the UK weather has improved I've bought a second battery. This time a TP 6S 5000 Mah 65C. Not that I need 65C but it is the "stock" battery for this heli and the guys at Midland use them.

It will be interesting to compare the batteries. First thing to note is that the TP is 3 mm wider than the Voltz so you need to Dremel a little material away either side of the front cheeks. Although you can pump 60 Amps into them and fly again in less than 10 mins the charger and PSU to do this costs a LOT.
JR DSX9
hioct8ne is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
kevinl7778
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nitro guy in need of you help,

Test flew a 500 for a friend, fly's great. He needs me to carge him up as he only has the stock blade 450 charger.

I have the thunder T6 charger but the voltz pack has two balance cables. Dose ot chare as a 4 and a 2 cell pack or do i need a adapter.

Thanks.in advance.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support