Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
zorax2
Registered Users

Default Do cyclic servos need to be replaced as a matched set?

Do cyclic servos need to be replaced as a matched set?

For example, if one Align DS-410 servo goes bad, can I substitute another brand's servo in its place or am I forced to replace it with another DS-410?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
rhodesengr
Registered Users

My HF Map location

all three need to be the same with the same arm length. The tail servo may be different.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Starcruiser
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would replace cyclic servo's with the same brand and model since all servo's are not necessarily the same, i.e. the response and travel may vary thus causing issues with symmetrical travel.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Corvette & Copter Guy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
Do cyclic servos need to be replaced as a matched set?

For example, if one Align DS-410 servo goes bad, can I substitute another brand's servo in its place or am I forced to replace it with another DS-410?
Are the gears stripped in one of your servo's or did it just die? I take it the servo is for your 450. An option is the Power HD servo (HD-2216HB). I run these on my 450 and for the price and function you cant go wrong. $28.00 for an align, or $12.00 for the Power HD. If I remember right, if you buy four of them they are $11.00 each.
Corvette & Copter Guy is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
mediclavina
Registered Users

Unless your heli swash has 1-servo layout (like the Bergen helis), always use the same specific servo for all the CCPM servos.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Sabaot
Registered Users

It is highly advised (some even say - mandatory) to have all cyclic servos from same manufacturer and same type. The reason is speed and force. For example purposes let's take typical T-Rex 450 swash 120* setup. Let's say you have KIT servos. One goes dead and you replace it with other brand. Your original servos have turn rate at 0.14 sec while your new one is 0.11 sec.

Now you go out flying and do some simple but fast maneuvers (I'm not into 3D so don't know the names - the one when you "jump" with heli up and down). This maneuver requires all 3 servos to work together and equal to give you desired figure. With one servo out of the set you won't achieve that. Depending on where that servo sits you will get a slight lean in a direction under that servo control.

So if it's ELE servo you'll have a slight lean toward when ascending and slight lean backward when descending as that servo is stronger and faster that other two.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
Lee Taylor
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just replace the bad one with a good one of the same type. Otherwise, yes...replace all 3. For cyclics, the set needs to be of the same type (model).
Lee Taylor is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
kavic5150
Registered Users

+1 for what Lee Taylor said.

Hit throttle hold and raise/lower your throttle stick to see if your cyclic servos are traveling smoothly and evenly. Also you can carefully move each servo arm to feel for any notchiness or skips.

kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please