Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Bking1340
Registered Users

Default 550 slant gear

Good day all. Know this question was asked millions of times.
I have 1 of the 1st 550e v2 kits (August '11) with this: http://helidirect.com/align-new-main...0n-p-23991.hdx main gear case, 170t main drive gear, 16t pinion, 131t auto - Drive gear ratio of 1:10.62:3.85.
Is there a way to change just the main drive gear and pinion to slant gear and keep a similar gear ratio?
Bking1340 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Fredneck
Registered Users

You should be able to drop in the helical 188T Main Gear (light blue) with the 18T Pinion and be fine. That will give you a 1:10.44 main ratio which is only a small increase in headspeed from what you have. That's what I did. Works great and sounds better.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Bking1340
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. Maybe part number`s?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Fredneck
Registered Users

The Main Gear is H60062 and the Pinion is H55052
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Bking1340
Registered Users

Thanks, seems like I had the correct gears in mind. But tell me is my hub: http://helidirect.com/align-new-main...0n-p-23991.hdx the new or old hub?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Fredneck
Registered Users

To be honest with you, I don't know if there is any difference between the old hub and this one besides an improved one way bearing. I am running the original hub and OWB.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Bking1340
Registered Users

Okay But you say H60062 wil fit my hub?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
JRAY
Registered Users

There is a hub difference, but it depends on how old your V1 is. My V1 had the OWB issue out of the box and HeliDirect had to send me the updated hub/OWB (HN6064BA), but they also had to end up sending me a new main or auto gear, I can't remember which, b/c the new hub is longer due to the extra bearing.
Henseleit TDR/SFR2 (2013), Minicopter Diabolo S #40, TT E700--RIP
JRAY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Fredneck
Registered Users

I don't have your hub with the new OWB and bearing shaft, so I don't know for sure.

JRAY may have just blown the 188T/18T option for you. I did'nt know about the extra bearing.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

This OWB/main gear/pinion/a-r gear/drive case/helical/gear ratio issue is tremendously frustrating!

I know the evil gnomes toiling & scheming in some damp Taiwanese basement get their jollies by tormenting us with frequent parts changes...but it's getting so that we need an engineer on standby to calculate the mechanical thrust bearing side-load gear ratiometrics every time we need to change something!

Not to mention that we need Pepper Pots to keep track of all the friggin' part numbers!

< closes eyes & clicks red slippers together >
If only there was a thread dedicated to just gearing! Oh what a happy day that would be!
Ron~FordTech is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
johnsandywhite
Registered Users

The latest V2.1 uses the same gearing/OWB as the 600EPro and the 700E.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

This is not getting any better. Admittedly I am old -- and have a demanding wife -- so I don't have the massive amount of computing power (and time) to dedicate to keeping track of these blasted part numbers, and upgrades, and re-designs, and non-compatibility issues. But it sure is annoying!

I just stumbled upon yet another head-scratcher (all straight-cut):

H60020A A/R gear. This is definitely more than 131T, but it makes my eyes buggy to try to count teeth thru the plastic. It has a metal sleeve, and a very deep "well" in the upper side with two steps. I have one of these BNISOP.

H60198 A/R gear. This is described online as 131T M0.8 It has a metal sleeve, and a very deep "well" in the upper side with two steps.

H????? A/R gear. I have two of these (one new, but with no label) and it is definitely 131T (I counted). It has no metal sleeve, and has a very shallow "well" in the upper side with just one step. I had this in my 550E for several months until I had to change a main gear, and all hell broke loose with the changes to the associated components.

But all three of these gears are definitely for the 550.

And yes - there are OWB issues, and hub issues, and main gear issues, and gear ratio issues, and pinion issues, and -- not to be forgotten...SPACER issues between the main & A/R gears. This is significant because some of the assortment of main & A/R gears can go together...except this one...but not unless you upgrade the bearing shaft...which won't work with the old hub...but not in North America...except if it's a v3...and not if you need to retain the same gear ratio...but the OWB is longer...and don't forget the shim...and there are six screws now - not five...and...but...otherwise...except...

And this doesn't even touch on the helical family!!

Okay - things evolve, and stuff improves(?) but seriously?!

And while I am raving -- and this is just me, but I bet I'm not alone -- I wish people would STOP posting messages like this:

"I don't have the parts (or the heli or the problem) that you have, but I once knew a fellow whose Ukranian uncle had the previous version of what it sounds like you're talking about, and he said that his uncle believed that his main gear was around 127.5 teeth and he ran it like that with an A/R gear that actually came out of an old baby swing and it was awesome."

Or...

"I still have the original main gear (or A/R gear, or pinion, or whatever) that came with my version 'X' nitro 500, and it was similar to your v2.5 550E, and if I remember correctly it needed a special shim that can only be found in one of the first-generation Jarrvik artificial hearts...which are in short supply these days, unfortunately..."

Or -- the type of reply that REALLY gets me...

"I have 3,467 flights on my XXX heli, and I've never had an issue with my (whatever), so I can't help with your question. But if I had to guess... (and then it degenerates into one of the previous examples)

Yeah okay - I'm taking a little license with this, but geez. We all like to help each other. I get it. I like to offer help too. And there is nothing negative or ignoble about wanting to offer assistance. But beliefs, half-forgotten tidbits, incomplete ramblings about long-outdated parts?! And attempted resolutions that start with "I don't have what you have, but..." are just not helpful.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
tommy158
Registered Users

funny *@$ FORD....... frustrating hobby you got us into lol....heres a good reply....... just get a new heli !!!!!
tommy158 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Fredneck
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron~FordTech View Post
This is not getting any better. Admittedly I am old -- and have a demanding wife -- so I don't have the massive amount of computing power (and time) to dedicate to keeping track of these blasted part numbers, and upgrades, and re-designs, and non-compatibility issues. But it sure is annoying!

I just stumbled upon yet another head-scratcher (all straight-cut):

H60020A A/R gear. This is definitely more than 131T, but it makes my eyes buggy to try to count teeth thru the plastic. It has a metal sleeve, and a very deep "well" in the upper side with two steps. I have one of these BNISOP.

H60198 A/R gear. This is described online as 131T M0.8 It has a metal sleeve, and a very deep "well" in the upper side with two steps.

H????? A/R gear. I have two of these (one new, but with no label) and it is definitely 131T (I counted). It has no metal sleeve, and has a very shallow "well" in the upper side with just one step. I had this in my 550E for several months until I had to change a main gear, and all hell broke loose with the changes to the associated components.

But all three of these gears are definitely for the 550.

And yes - there are OWB issues, and hub issues, and main gear issues, and gear ratio issues, and pinion issues, and -- not to be forgotten...SPACER issues between the main & A/R gears. This is significant because some of the assortment of main & A/R gears can go together...except this one...but not unless you upgrade the bearing shaft...which won't work with the old hub...but not in North America...except if it's a v3...and not if you need to retain the same gear ratio...but the OWB is longer...and don't forget the shim...and there are six screws now - not five...and...but...otherwise...except...

And this doesn't even touch on the helical family!!

Okay - things evolve, and stuff improves(?) but seriously?!

And while I am raving -- and this is just me, but I bet I'm not alone -- I wish people would STOP posting messages like this:

"I don't have the parts (or the heli or the problem) that you have, but I once knew a fellow whose Ukranian uncle had the previous version of what it sounds like you're talking about, and he said that his uncle believed that his main gear was around 127.5 teeth and he ran it like that with an A/R gear that actually came out of an old baby swing and it was awesome."

Or...

"I still have the original main gear (or A/R gear, or pinion, or whatever) that came with my version 'X' nitro 500, and it was similar to your v2.5 550E, and if I remember correctly it needed a special shim that can only be found in one of the first-generation Jarrvik artificial hearts...which are in short supply these days, unfortunately..."

Or -- the type of reply that REALLY gets me...

"I have 3,467 flights on my XXX heli, and I've never had an issue with my (whatever), so I can't help with your question. But if I had to guess... (and then it degenerates into one of the previous examples)

Yeah okay - I'm taking a little license with this, but geez. We all like to help each other. I get it. I like to offer help too. And there is nothing negative or ignoble about wanting to offer assistance. But beliefs, half-forgotten tidbits, incomplete ramblings about long-outdated parts?! And attempted resolutions that start with "I don't have what you have, but..." are just not helpful.

That helped the OP how?
While waiting for the answer guru to post, there are likely to be some inaccuracies, third party experiences, story telling, rants, or just plain wrong solution attempts posted in response to a question, which sometimes lead to other avenues of resolution.

Your frustration with similar and multiple parts, subtle improvements, or changes in a model are shared, but who has experience with every possible combination of what fits what? There maybe a few out there somewhere. More likely there are lots of people who have experience with one or a few combinations, but not knowing about the change or upgrade done last week and are wanting to help a member problem solve.

I read threads as a "discussion" between members and do not expect that every reply will be the end all answer for a particular problem. That would be nice but come on. They could change the name of this forum to "Heli-Bible.com".
I turn on my BS meter, set out one grain of salt and read and learn, and do and learn, and read and learn some more, then sometimes offer a possible solution which may or may not work.

I like the forums for collective problem solving from a community involving all levels of knowledge and skill, understanding that not everyone will give The Answer and more often give their 2 cents. It's all good.

On the OP's question I bowed out not knowing about the latest change, and offered good luck in his search, hoping that an answer guru will post up. Hopefully before the next part improvement.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

Well put. And you're right - my raving did not offer any help. But hopefully it got a few people thinking - perhaps some of them who would otherwise have stretched the thread with more guesswork and assumptions.

All that aside, I have heard the reminder - and it's true; we're supposed to discuss. After all, if we were experts, there'd be no need for the forum!

(But I would not be at all surprised if there is a handful of members who DO know the compatibility issues, and DO know the part numbers, and COULD clarify this dogs dinner.)

My apologies.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
markleyland
Registered Users

Don't apologise, you also have the right to voice your opinion, it was a funny post. Now, do you know anyone with an old baby swing because I think there lies your answer, just check it's made by Align.
markleyland is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
LowSpark
Registered Users

I have an original v1 550 fbl and decided to try the 188 slant gear and 18t pinion.
(have not bought any replavement parts in a while and stopped by the hobbyshop the other day. Money on auto with drawall from wallet when I walk through the door??)

The Main Gear is H60062 and the Pinion is H55052

Dropped right in, no additional parts required. Motor just about stayed in the same position for gear mesh.

Wow, diffinately quieter.

Head speed increase from 2400 to 2600 at fixed throttle curve at 93%.

approx 100-200mah increase in battery usage on a 5.5 minute flying.
(no hard 3d)

No rubbing on servo's, no over-heating of motor or esc. (read about people having problems in another thread)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Ron~FordTech
Registered Users

^ ^ Nice post ^ ^ Thanks for that!

Indeed I have been contemplating this too. 'Good to know it is as straightforward as that!

The other issue that is bubbling around in my mind is the recent complaint about the main gear creeping skyward during flight...due to the vertical forces introduced by the helical cut of the pinion.

I would have thought that -- if there is zero vertical play in the main shaft -- this would not be possible. Can anyone comment on this? Is it only happening to people who have insufficient shimming in the stack? Or is it a reflection of tooth count? (would the 112T + 11T be better? worse?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
shein95
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking1340 View Post
Okay But you say H60062 wil fit my hub?
my v2 is from the same batch and it fits the 170 straight gear and 188 helical. its not till you go to the mod 1 600/700 slant gear that you get the new hub, which i hated. my hub/owb from the original v2 works great and the "new" hub/owb locked up just about every flight. wished i had gone with the gears that you're looking at. if the mod 1 slants worked good i would think the mod 7 slants are super quite.
shein95 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
Bking1340
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shein95 View Post
my v2 is from the same batch and it fits the 170 straight gear and 188 helical. its not till you go to the mod 1 600/700 slant gear that you get the new hub, which i hated. my hub/owb from the original v2 works great and the "new" hub/owb locked up just about every flight. wished i had gone with the gears that you're looking at. if the mod 1 slants worked good i would think the mod 7 slants are super quite.
Thanks

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.