Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hints and tips to the walkera v120d02S

I am considering stepping up /sidestepping from my mcpx2 which needs replacing due to the amount of hours flown and gravity´s cruel hand - thinking of buying the new walkera v120d02S and wanted to hear if anyone has some helpfull pointers how to get it flying well and keep it flying ,this heli will be used for some very light 3d and will be crashing luckely i have a pretty soft airfield (high grass) any tips on which spares to preorder will be much apreciated
Thomasbn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail booms. Lots of tail booms. Or better yet, buy your own length of square CF tube and make your own. Buy from here: http://goo.gl/AGiub ...Make sure you get the right size. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. The tail boom doesn't really ever snap, but even one medium crash causes it to lose its rigidity and affects tail hold/authority.

Also buy skids, extra battery or two, main blades, blade grips, rotor head, LOTS of tail gear sets, and most importantly, do the "servo saver" mod. http://goo.gl/lb9ow ...a extra main shaft probably wouldn't hurt either. I would also recommend contacting livionabob on RCG about his slipper clutch for the tail.

And don't buy any 4G6, M120, V120D02 parts for it. They won't fit (except for skids, canopy, tail boom and main baldes really). V120D02S has unique parts for the most part.

The D02S is an awesome and powerful bird and coming from the MCPx it's going to feel like a mean machine. I love mine.
gabeoravitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Isn't there some type of paperclip mod that should be done too?

I can't seem to find my saved link to the mod though...
indiggio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use aluminum shear pins for the main gear on both my 4G6 and V120D02S hybrids. See here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248218

It works great and saves lots of parts in a crash.

Also a slipper clutch for the tail. I flip the tail over to put the rod under the tail boom and just switch the tail blades from leading edge control to trailing edge control and flip the links so the balls are correct in the sockets of the arms.

YMMV, Don
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great idea Don! I just got done buying and returnig the Blade 130X! Stay with the Walkera in this class of helis! That thing is junk! I to love the 120D02S, I just can't stand the flaky esc's but they are cheap and my 1 out of 3 is still strong!,
I say 3 cause I chewed 1 up by accident, sucked it into my Carbon Z Yak! lol, Trying to run the battery down and didn't see the heli setting there until it got pulled into the prop, geez. Than I bought another one cause I figured it would be as cheap, plus I got all the electronics from it, 1st one, so I tore it down. Than I bought a 3rd one just ta have incase a crash on the 2nd! But the esc is flaky on it so it sets till my 2nd gets dumped and I'll swap esc's as the first and 2nd seem fine! LOL. Just money right!
You will absalutley love it. The 130x is junk, look up at the discussions going on there. I think my blood pressure went up after dealing with it for 1 hour, it had bad vibes and blew a tail blade out of the grips. Now it seems there are problem after problem on it.
I love mine and yes, you will not regret it.
bradharvy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The v120d02s rocks and honestly it flys better than my 450pro i fly it scale just off the ground it is rock solid! I have done no mods.

best money I have ever spent on a heli...perfect training tool in my opinion.

I have broken:
-servo
-tail gear(they come with spares)
-skidz
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just as durable, except tail witch is to be expected, than the mcpx. love both but the 120 will run circles around the mcp,..Agree on repairs, one servo, and gears, that's it!
bradharvy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys can´t wait to get mine
Thomasbn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbn View Post
Thanks guys can´t wait to get mine
Ditto!

Mine is on it's way. Getting twitchy fingers!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would also recommend using the white Solo Pro 180D blades (at least till white Walkera blade are available). It helps enormously with orientation and I would not have been able to fly very low inverted FFF circuits without them.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've said it before and I will say it again, Slipper Clutch is a must.

And really inspect your new bird very carefully when you get it.

My first 02s came pretty much good to go (which was lucky as it was my first CP ever and I probably wouldn't have know the difference if the servos were plugged in backwards.)

But my recently purchased V2, came very poorly set up. The main motor pinion was way too tight against the gear, the RX was very poorly mounted with a twist and touching the esc., and the servo arms and linkages were very poorly adjusted. Follow BHChieftan's rotor head setup video.
ChitownMatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownMatt View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again, Slipper Clutch is a must.

And really inspect your new bird very carefully when you get it.

My first 02s came pretty much good to go (which was lucky as it was my first CP ever and I probably wouldn't have know the difference if the servos were plugged in backwards.)

But my recently purchased V2, came very poorly set up. The main motor pinion was way too tight against the gear, the RX was very poorly mounted with a twist and touching the esc., and the servo arms and linkages were very poorly adjusted. Follow BHChieftan's rotor head setup video.
Great info!

My V2 is due to arrive any day along with a slipper clutch and I'm looking for as much info as I can to minimize problems and maximize success!

With it being my first BNF and a newbie at this entire hobby, it's hard to know what's right and wrong with a brand new heli.

Anything else you can share is greatly appreciated!

Do you happen to have a link to BHChieftan's rotor head setup video?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Idiggio,

The first thing you want to do is visually inspect the bird. The RX should be mounted straight along the main axis of the bird and flat; it should not be touching the esc or anything else. (The rubber tape isolates the RX from vibrations that can confuse the gyro stabilizer.) Essentially, the RX should be "floating" on it's piece of double sided tape with the servo wires arching around to plug in.

If the RX is twisted, tilted, or anything is touching it; you will need to remove the landing skids - pry off the tape - and carefully re-mount it.

Next, check the main motor pinion to the main gear. They should be very loosely meshing, just barely enough so you can turn the rotor and the motor moves. If it is too tight, loosen the two motor mount screws and pull it away a tiny bit.

Finally, check the main shaft collar. It should be down on the bearing when holding the main gear up. (Do not squeeze it tightly against the bearing, just make sure there is no play.) tighten the set screw well. (PS. if the bird starts acting funny after a crash, this is the first thing to check)

Don't worry, you are almost done. (finally get to plug the damn thing in)

Next is remove the canopy and unplug the esc from the motor and switch the RX to Adjustment mode (DIP switch 1 to OFF).

Unscrew the tail rotor servo arm and remove it also remove it from the linkage. Loosen (do not remove) the two screws that hold the servo to the tail boom, so you can slide the servo back and forth.

Turn on your TX and plug in the Bird on a flat surface (note the vertical tail boom fin will prevent the bird from sitting perfectly level, so you may want to elevate the skids a bit so that you can make the following adjustments after binding on a perfectly flat surface.)

After the bird binds up and everything centers, replace the tail rotor servo arm as close to 90 degrees perpendicular as possible. Now slide the servo back and forth until the ball linkage lines up with the servo arm when the tail rotor is as close to centered as you can get it. (re-attach the linkage and tighten the servo and set screws)

Now, follow all the steps to tune the rotor head and travels in BHChieftain's following video (below) and you should finally be all ready to go. (PS. Don't forget to turn DIP switch on the RX back to flight mode before you try your first flight, or it will likely be a very short hop... good luck.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mto3uNkz1k[/ame]
ChitownMatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks ChitownMatt for the great set of detailed instructions!

Greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anybody have a link for a slipper clutch.. ?? Thanks...
HeliV120 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliV120 View Post
Anybody have a link for a slipper clutch.. ?? Thanks...
slipperclutch@mi.rr.com

Don
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think he's heading out on vacation, so you may not get a quick response.

Send your order info # of clutches, mailing address and paypal account e-mail to the slipperclutch e-mail address and he'll respond.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just getting my v120d02s v2!

Hey guys for Christmas my wife is getting me the v120d02s v2 and I was wondering what tips you all have for me. I need to set it up with my Devo 7e. Also, i am buying a ton of parts for it, and i was wondering if you all had any recommendations before i fly it for the first time.

Thanks guys, Silas
SilasM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in