Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Maypole
Registered Users

Default Tri-Flow is your friend, and other notes of interest.

Ok, I just recorded flight number 29 and thought I would report on something that so far, has been working very well.

When I got my 130, I went through it just as if I had bought a used bird. Using what I had learned from you guys (thanks a ton btw!), I damn near took it completely apart and during re-assembly set the thing up according to the findings here on HF. Switched o-rings for grommets, adjusted boom, checked for level swash, zero pitch, seated gears and proper mesh, etc.

One thing I found that was disturbing was that several of the screws that mount the servo bodies to their boards were loose. I knew to check for this due to prior experience with the mCP X. One more thing to add to your maintenance list.

Now to the Tri-Flow. I have been a strong believer in this stuff for a long time and the uses on this bird are no exception. Before each flight, I have been applying a liberal amount to both A/B and C/D meshes, and about every third flight just a small amount on the bearings, and allowing 2 or 3 minutes for it to dry somewhat.

I am pleased with the wear results I've gotten on the A gear. The picture below is not in very good focus on each of the teeth, but hopefully close enough on others for you to get an idea. Taken on my phone and my camera doesn't have macro.

Again, this is after 29 flights.

Edit: The Tri-Flow I'm using on the gears is the Superior Dry.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0251.JPG
Views:	2922
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	331204  
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Maypole; 07-11-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Maypole is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
atv223
Registered Users

Lots of people are talking about silicone grease on the gears. Do you think the triflow oil works any better?
atv223 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
AcidDrink
Registered Users

Trfilow oil doesn't do anything to these gears, it's going to be spit out in first 5 seconds of flight.
If you want to lubricate them use grease.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Maypole
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry guys, my bad. I forgot to mention that the Tri-Flow I'm using is the Superior Dry version. It goes on as an oil and leaves behind a wax coating after drying. It will still fling off eventually, which is why I apply it before every flight, but could probably hold up for more than just one flight. Even grease will fling off in time. Again, sorry for the oversight.

Bottom line, it works damned well and it's hard to argue with the results.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Dry_Lubricant/dry.html
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Goatkeeper
Registered Users

I haven't tried that kind of triflow. But I'm approaching 50 flights with the first set of gears using lithium grease. The same stuff I use ony fusion 50. And I fly pretty agresive.
Goatkeeper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
GSPI
Registered Users

You know that tri-flow you are talking about is a petroleum based lubricant not a silicon or synthetic. I'm not discounting that it's helping at all but you might want to be aware that the MSDS indicates the petroleum distillates which can attack certain plastics. Your main component that is really helping you is the PTFE (Teflon) that is present which is a sacrificial material that coats wear surfaces.

Keep up the good work on keeping them flying!

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Maypole
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good point.

And yes, I am aware of what some petroleum distillates can do to certain plastics. The main fear I would have with todays materials would not be the plastics being in danger as much as the cheap rubber used in some of our models. Since I have been using this particular lube on Blade products for almost two years with no ill effects whatsoever (not even the cheap rubber or the Lexan the canopies are made from), I have the utmost confidence in it being able to continue to perform.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Krea
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatkeeper View Post
I haven't tried that kind of triflow. But I'm approaching 50 flights with the first set of gears using lithium grease. The same stuff I use ony fusion 50. And I fly pretty agresive.
Isn't lithium grease also petroleum based? I just ordered some for my heli - is it safe for electrical and plastic parts?
Krea is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
naturecannon
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I tried the trflow synthetic grease. Man that stuff sure is a dust magnet and flings on everything, even when lightly applied. Naked eye didn't notice much but a close up photo revealed a dirty blob invasion on the mainboard.

Lithium grease will give me different results?
naturecannon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
naturecannon
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I found out Tri-flow synthetic grease is made w PTFE, which is basically teflon by Dupont. Good stuff for PLASTIC.
naturecannon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
atv223
Registered Users

What about Super Lube?
atv223 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Goatkeeper
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krea04 View Post
Isn't lithium grease also petroleum based? I just ordered some for my heli - is it safe for electrical and plastic parts?
It says on the tube that it's plant derived. And safe for plastic.
Goatkeeper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
concretefingers
Registered Users

Triflow WILL damage plastic gears. As I have found to my cost when I was a photocopier engineer. Nylon gears should not need lubrication. maybe using SPG (special Plastic Grease) would get you out of a spot. But correct adjustment of the mesh and accepting that they are a consumable item that wear out is probably best.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help