Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
dhc8guru
Registered Users

Default Video of resonance fix

I read a post by another user saying balancing the tail blades fixes the resonance. Whomever you were, you rock! It takes a little time to play around with the amount of tape and where it placed. Cheap easy fix.
Here's a video proving it works.
YouTube
"> YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
dhc8guru is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
shreddedpaper
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read that same post but your video really gives a good demonstration.
Very cool
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
DoubleCH
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's a lot of tape! I needed about 1/8th of it. I guess orange does clash with black. .
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
dhc8guru
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I lost my other orange blade when a tail blade grip decided it no longer felt its presence was needed on the helicopter. At 20K rpm, the black disappears and its all orange.
That resonance is for sure trashing those bearings and the C gear. They are not designed to handle the lateral load when the tail vibes back and forth. I think putting another tail push rod support is only masking the resonance but it is still there.
If this keeps the wear down on the bearings, gears and pitch slider, I will be real happy.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
lamk
Registered Users

Default Excellent tip

Just balance my tail blade. Much less vibration during spool up. Hopefully my bird will start to fly good. Out of the box tail will not hold and lead to a crash at the top of a loop, likely due to weakened slider pin. Now tail holding properly with new pitch slider. Tail case also not push in properly out of the box and slide out in flight. Now I check the tail case after each flight. MNay pin it eventually.
lamk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Liduno
Registered Users

Turn you phone sideways..lol

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
spackermen
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you enlighten a little more on your process of balancing the blades? Or was it a simple, add tape, try it, randomly stick another piece on?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
litehawkdown
Registered Users

Go figure balancing the blades works
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
dhc8guru
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
Turn you phone sideways..lol
I always forget to... I apologize.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
dhc8guru
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spackermen View Post
Can you enlighten a little more on your process of balancing the blades? Or was it a simple, add tape, try it, randomly stick another piece on?
That's pretty much so it. Shoot for a piece of tape middle of the blade. As small as these blades are try not to put the tape out towards the tip. I could place a piece middle of the blade and have it vibrate. Take the same piece and move it .100" out or in and the vibration would disappear. It takes patience.
Also remember to wrap the tape around the leading edge so it will stay on.
I have become lax with balancing blades as the manufactures have gotten good at consistantly balancing blades.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
muscleflex
Registered Users

Wow! thanks for the video!
Question: I weighed my blades last night on a .00 digital scale and both main and tail blades are balanced.

However on spool up, i get this resonance as well. Do I need to do your mod?
Also how do you know which blade to put tape on? Do you just choose one and work on that?
muscleflex is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
GLACIERBAY
Registered Users

Mine weigh the same also. I can not believe the difference a tiny piece of tape makes. Sorry, but I did not believe it. It needs to be a sticky. This is something that needs to be done when new. I do think it would save a lot of wear and tear!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the demo.
GLACIERBAY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Nytflyer
Registered Users

At these HIGH rpm's a super tiny bit of tape makes a HUGE difference. It is rather amazing/odd but I hav the same issue with my brushless mcpx with hp06. Blades can weight the same but vibes are horrible untill balancing with the tape. Great tip
- DX7S
Nytflyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
acidkindred
Registered Users

Unless you have a scale sensitive enough I doubt you could detect the difference in weight when we're talking about such a small piece of tape.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Azlum
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got my 130X and have been working on this fix before my first flight, but I'm not having any luck I've tried like 7 different pieces of tape in about 9 positions on either blade and I can't even notice a difference most of the time.

[ SAB Goblin ][ Trex 450 Pro ]
Azlum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
stang281472
Registered Users

Did this on mine and fixed the vibration completely. After balancing tail, added boca bearings and all has been great for 20+ flights now. Was non stop headache before doing this.
stang281472 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
DoubleCH
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bumping this old thread up because this needs to get more attention. Plus I want to add more info. To ease checking tail rotor balance, take the main blades off and use idle-up mode to trigger stock soft-start to slowly spool up to make sure to go thru' tail-fin resonance frequency.

Also, want to emphasize that blade balancer or whatever accurate digital scale is just half of the solution. You need to spin-balance the entire tail rotor assembly on the bird because tail-fin resonance can be contributed by tail shaft/hub, tail slider, tail grips, etc.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
zeusramon
Registered Users

+1 , it'snt only tail blades that must be balance , must be all tail rotor . Great post , thank you for rescue it . Great video too . Short but clear .
zeusramon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
grig
Registered Users

Default using tape to balance blades

I have been flying helis for over 30 yrs. Did leave the hobby for 10 yrs and then came back when electric became practical. John Gorham, who sort of invented the first really good helis, always said that if you cannot get your blades to track, even though they show they are balanced, to stick a piece of plastic tape in the middle of one blade and spool up heli. If that doesnt work, then remove tape to the other blade and try it. Then if it still vibrates or not in balance, begin moving the tape outward on the blade until vibration disappears. Now with our micro helis, you do have to use scotch tape as electrical tape or heavier plastic is much too heavy.

I have done this to the 130x with much success and also on the main blades . If you do both the tail and main blades, your vibration should be much improved.
grig is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help