Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
geckgo
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default A question about this LIPO

So, I got a lipo with a puffed cell. Decided to start the process of commiting it to its lipo grave today and took the plastic off. It is a 3S 2200mAh pack. Only one of the cells was puffed (and damaged by the motor on my 450) so I pulled that cell off of the pack and got to wondering about using the remaining cells for a 2S later on.

This battery has less than 10 flights on it but I damaged it early on and last time I flew it puffed on me. I feel confident in reusing the rest of the pack but my question is this...

If I take 2200 / 3 I get 733 mAh per cell. Then I compare the cell size to my 600 mAh lipo for my smaller bird.... It's about 1/4 the size of one of the bigger cells and holds almost as much charge capacity. What gives? Is there an exponential size vs. cap curve that I am unaware of? I have some 300 mAh LIPOs also and they are half as big as the 600. Am I missing something here? or is the Ah per cell also dependent on the discharge voltage? If I divide the voltage by 3 then that will give me 2.2 Ah per pack at 3.7V which sounds more true to what I'm seeing. Is that how it works?
geckgo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
banditpowdercoat
Registered Users

My HF Map location

TNo. Each cell is 2200mah. There in series. Mah stays same but pack voltage is multiplied by cell count

All LIpo cells are same voltage. Cell physical size goes up with mah capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
geckgo
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks bandit. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Been years since I studied any kind of electronics stuff. Think I'm going to hang on to these two good ones. Might come in handly for our rc boat experiement.
geckgo is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support