Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50


Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Nologic
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,661
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Default Raptor 30 - Futaba 8FG - GY401 - TAIL WAG

New to this radio system and gyro but it seems that any gain setting above 50% causes a very violent tail way. When I was flying with spektrum I was running a gain of 71% and the tail was rock solid.

When I took the gain value down to 43% the tail was solid. However that sort of goes against what I thought I knew. That being, below 50% is Rate Mode. Above 50% is Heading Hold.

Although even at 43% I still have slight tail wag. When it was at 70% it nearly caused me to crash.

What is my next couse of action?
Nologic is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
LAMAR COOLEY
Registered Users
 
Posts: 381
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houma, Louisiana
Default Futaba 8FG and GY401

Nologic
It's been a while since I fooled with this radio. ( For a couple of buddies and their heli's).
Correct me if I'm wrong. The settings for a "normal" gyro will be negative numbers and for
"heading hold" would be positive numbers. So being in the 40 ish range would seem
appropriate if not in the 30's for "Heading Hold" The "normal" range setting would also in the low negative numbers. Have you set up the gyro for a "normal" and "heading hold" condition with a switch ? It's also highly advisable , with this gyro, to adjust your tail blade pitch while in normal mode.
I hope this is of some small help
Regards


.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here, when wanted
There, when needed
Everywhere, when looked for
LAMAR COOLEY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Nologic
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,661
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Default Raptor 30 - Futaba 8FG - GY401 - TAIL WAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMAR COOLEY View Post
Nologic
It's been a while since I fooled with this radio. ( For a couple of buddies and their heli's).
Correct me if I'm wrong. The settings for a "normal" gyro will be negative numbers and for
"heading hold" would be positive numbers. So being in the 40 ish range would seem
appropriate if not in the 30's for "Heading Hold" The "normal" range setting would also in the low negative numbers. Have you set up the gyro for a "normal" and "heading hold" condition with a switch ? It's also highly advisable , with this gyro, to adjust your tail blade pitch while in normal mode.
I hope this is of some small help
Regards


.
I do t care about Rate or Normal Mode. I only like to fly in Heading Hold. Why do I have to take my gain down so far? It's past 50%?

And somehow still in heading hold???
Nologic is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
d_wheel
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nologic View Post
I do t care about Rate or Normal Mode. I only like to fly in Heading Hold. Why do I have to take my gain down so far? It's past 50%?

And somehow still in heading hold???
You're trying to compare apples to oranges. What is 43% on one brand of radio is obviously what was 71% on the other. There are a lot of differences between radio brands. Some use positive expo to soften the center, while others use negative. Etc., Etc. Don't worry about it, just fly your rappy with 43% gain and enjoy.

Later;

D.W.
__________________
Gettin old aint for sissies!
d_wheel is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
AKPhill
Registered Users
 
Posts: 663
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Soldotna Alaska
Default

Spectrum uses 0 to 100 and futaba uses 0 to -100 and + 0 to 100
usually any setting below +50 is heading hold to 0 find your sweet spot in that range and fly
__________________
Raptor 50 se v2, raptor titan 50
Hirobo Shuttle ZX, trex esp 600
trex esp 500 fb
trex esp 500 fbl
AKPhill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Nologic
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,661
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Default Raptor 30 - Futaba 8FG - GY401 - TAIL WAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPhill View Post
Spectrum uses 0 to 100 and futaba uses 0 to -100 and + 0 to 100
usually any setting below +50 is heading hold to 0 find your sweet spot in that range and fly
Thank you.
Nologic is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50


Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com