Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Noskipallwd
Registered Users

Default Torque tube conversion

Hello, I am assembling the Align 500 TT conversion kit, and have confused myself(not hard to do!). I have a couple of questions for anyone who has assembled the kit. The instructions state to install the TT bearing off of center. How is this oriented? For example, shorter piece towards the main gear and longer torwards the tail, or vice versa. Also which side of the bearing does the TT bearing holder go? Same as above, main gear side or rotor side. Thxs for any help.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Geardaddy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey..

You want to find the center point of the torque tube.. then VERY carefully glue the bearing to the torque tube approx 2cm off from center.. Then the end of the torque tube that is 'shorter' relative to the bearing placement will go towards the boom block.. Longer end towards the tail..

The rubber bearing holder.. It doesn't go next to the bearing.. It goes OVER it.. the bearing will sit inside of that rubber housing.. Be really careful when gluing that bearing.. The best way to do it is put a very small amount of thin CA onto a QTip, and then run the qtip around the torque tube where you want the bearing.. If you put too much on (super easy to do) then when you slide the bearing into place, it will create a 'wave' of ca which will spill into the bearing.. At which point.. your bearing will be toast.. Ask me how I know..

GD
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Noskipallwd
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply CD! Well I guessed right on the orientation, and the holder going over the bearing makes sense. The instructions/parts diagram is so damn vague on a few points. CA doesn't make a very good bearing lubricant does it? I learned all about handling CA from building planks when I was younger, still screw it up once in a while though. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Geardaddy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No worries! Glad you got it straight.. My first bearing that I glued to my 500 TT was a mess.. thought that I'd used a minimal amount.. wrong.. Wound up having to use a deep socket to break the bearing free from the torque tube, and start over... PITA.. Don't know if you read this or not.. but when you put the actual torque tube into your tail hub.. push it all the way in, then pull it back out about 1/8th of an inch.. then put the tail parts on.. Having the tube bottomed out inside of the tail case can cause vibes down the road.. I think that was a Finless Bob trick.. but I could be mistaken..

GD
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.