Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbie Assistance w/ Nano CP X

Hi guys,

I have been flying some 4 channel helicopters around the house, mostly notably the Syma 800G and the Esky Comanche and have gotten pretty good with them both. So I've been wanting to play with CP for sometime now and finally did. I bought a Blade Nano CP X and the Spektrum DX6i. I have everything configured according to the specs in the Nano manual and was able to fly it a bit, but I have a few questions:

The DX6i has the Mix/TH Hold switch on the right. If it's switched to TH Hold, the blades spin when applying throttle. If in Mix, it adjusts collective pitch but neither stick applies throttle. So the question lies, how do I use the left stick for throttle with the switch on TH Hold but still adjust collective pitch. When I spool up fast enough, the blades do provide lift but I'm not manually changing the collective pitch.

When I was flying, and the battery was low, it seemed like the TH Hold was switched (even though it wasn't) and it only changed CP with the left stick when just a second ago it was controlling the throttle. How come?
btkrausen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by btkrausen View Post
Hi guys,

I have been flying some 4 channel helicopters around the house, mostly notably the Syma 800G and the Esky Comanche and have gotten pretty good with them both. So I've been wanting to play with CP for sometime now and finally did. I bought a Blade Nano CP X and the Spektrum DX6i. I have everything configured according to the specs in the Nano manual and was able to fly it a bit, but I have a few questions:

The DX6i has the Mix/TH Hold switch on the right. If it's switched to TH Hold, the blades spin when applying throttle. If in Mix, it adjusts collective pitch but neither stick applies throttle. So the question lies, how do I use the left stick for throttle with the switch on TH Hold but still adjust collective pitch. When I spool up fast enough, the blades do provide lift but I'm not manually changing the collective pitch.

When I was flying, and the battery was low, it seemed like the TH Hold was switched (even though it wasn't) and it only changed CP with the left stick when just a second ago it was controlling the throttle. How come?
You have to set the TH up like you want it, just like in IU. Most set TH (Hold) with the same pitch curve you normally fly in but a flat throttle curve of 0,0,0,0,0. That way if you get in trouble you hit TH and have control of pitch but no power to the mains so damage is less in "the crash".

I hope that was what you were asking.

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hi guys,

The "TH/Mix" switch is TH (for Heli) - Mix for (Acro). Down (toward the back) is disengaged, Up (toward the front) is engaged.

DX6i settings for nano have a throttle curve setting of 10 for hold (this equates to 0), so when TH engaged (up), the blades should not spin.

There should be no "MIX 1" or "MIX 2" settings.

If you are using F.Mode 0 (normal), blade speed (throttle) will increase with pitch on the left stick (mode 2 - right stick if mode 1). If you are using F.Mode 1 (sport), blade speed (throttle) should be on constant. F.Mode switch should be on the left closer to the sticks than the trainer switch (which is the opposite of the TH switch).

Learn to us the TH to cut throttle (not lower throttle). Lowering throttle in sport mode will slam the nano into the ground (if flying upright).
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz58 View Post
... Most set TH (Hold) with the same pitch curve you normally fly in but a flat throttle curve of 0,0,0,0,0. ...
DX6i, TH should be 10. Bug in the DX6i firmware.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys. After playing around with it tonight I figured out the whole F.Mode part with the blades spinning at a constant speed. I setup the DX6i the way that the manual said to for a DX6i.

So are you saying that I should be flying with the TH Hold switch down and only use it to stop the main blades if I get in trouble? If so, should I be flying in sport mode all the time so I can control pitch? Will I be able to control pitch using F.Mode 0, or is that something I even need to worry about? I don't plan to even attempt inverted flight for a long time, so I just want the best settings to practice with.

One thing is for sure, this thing is a lot faster than the 4 channel helicopters I was flying before.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
So are you saying that I should be flying with the TH Hold switch down and only use it to stop the main blades if I get in trouble?
Yes. You MUST break the slam throttle down when in danger reaction from the 4CH.

Quote:
If so, should I be flying in sport mode all the time so I can control pitch? Will I be able to control pitch using F.Mode 0, or is that something I even need to worry about?
Your choice. You can control pitch in normal mode as well as sport (which is what the pitch curves are).

Normal mode acts more like your 4CH, with the throttle increasing and decreasing. As this occurs, the blade pitch also changes as per the pitch curve (from slight negative to full positive). Normal mode will hover upright at a slower head speed than sport mode and be slightly easier to control.

Sport allows inverted flight. TH is the ONLY nice way to stop the blades while in sport mode.

I start my nano's in sport mode with TH engaged. I wiggle the left stick to ensure bind (blades twist), ensure the left stick is centred (to prevent boom strike on start-up), then disengage TH (engine soft start to full revs).

Good habit to ensure TH is engaged and transmitter on before connecting heli battery.

Quote:
I don't plan to even attempt inverted flight for a long time, so I just want the best settings to practice with.
When you want to go to inverted flight, get a sim first. Cheaper than broken nano pieces (chipped blades, burned out motors, broken tail booms, etc. ). A cheap 12 in 1 USB simulation adaptor for the DX6i and ClearView is enough to learn inverted (worked for me).

Quote:
One thing is for sure, this thing is a lot faster than the 4 channel helicopters I was flying before.
Yes, but much more fun once it behaves like it should. You will learn lots from this little heli.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome, thanks for the information, it's very helpful. This is why I LOVE forums, getting the personal assistance from people all over the world

So to change the pitch in normal mode requires modification to the pitch curve and changing in Sport mode becomes the left stick since the heli spins up and maintains a steady speed. Got it.

Right now I can't seem to fly longer than a few seconds as the helicopter seems to fly off in some random direction, I assume because I need to work on trim. I have gotten it to fly longer, about 10-15 seconds a few times but ran out of room since I'm flying it indoors. My basement is fairly open, and carpeted, so I have been trying it down there. I'm also trying to learn my new Quad as well, which I seem to be doing better at right now, haha.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello

You may want to turn the Aileron and elevator DR down to about 60% for a while in the DX6i this will help you! Once you get a feel for the helicopter you can bump the DR back up a little at a time.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=447286

Your problem is not trim! You just need to be more precise when it comes to helicopter attitude!

Please take a few and read the linked document. I wrote it for MCPX newbies but it applies to Nano CPX as well.

Hope this helps you
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for that link. I modified the settings as your article describes and I'm able to fly it much better. I believe this should allow me to practice and get used to it much faster with the ability to increase as I feel more comfortable.

I still can't seem to get a nice takeoff as it wants to lean backwards almost every time I takeoff. I do adjust it and can get a nice takeoff though. Is that normal?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tendency to "lean" one way or another on takeoff is a trait of flybarless heli's. You best bet is to "pop" it up off the ground fairly quickly. Try to use little or no cyclic input until you're airborn. Once in the air you should be fine. With the Nano you're out of any ground-effect influence once your about a foot off the ground.

Remember, with flybarless you don't want to have any trim engaged on your transmitter
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so I was able to fly it around quite a bit just now. It seems I have to adjust the Nano a bit to sit level while the blades start to spin just before takeoff. Once I get it level, I get perfect takeoffs.

Also found the holding the right stick between my index and thumb seems to work better for me for more granular control. Pretty happy with the last round of flights. Will try again in a bit...but for now, back to work
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

as others have said, the TH switch is only used to cut power to the rotor. You can use it as a safety feature on the ground and learn to hit it just before a crash. The pitch will still vary with TH engaged per the pitch curve for TH mode. This is because bigger CP helicopters will "auto" which means keep flying with no power. Smaller models like the nano or mCPx that have separate tail motors will not "auto". The 450X will auto for example, so you still want to control the pitch even with power off. If you flip TH on with the nano or mCPx, they just drop to the ground with no control.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "3D Mode"

I wish I had understood what the term "stunt mode" meant long before now. It always sounded so scary to this noob; let's climb into the Pitts and see what happens...don't try something you might not be ready for, it's all you can do to hover the thing as it is, don't rock the boat, er, heli...

Lately I was wondering, "why does the pitch have to be pinned to the throttle? What if I could set constant throttle and play with varying pitch?

Today I discovered "3D" mode.

I'm so happy....

Last edited by E-biker; 02-27-2013 at 08:04 PM..
E-biker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-biker View Post
I wish I had understood what the term "stunt mode" meant long before now.
Most of the names associated with "3D" mode are confusing and misleading. "3D", "stunt mode", "idle up", etc. are not really very descritive names. "Constant Throttle" would be better although some use a slight V-curve. Doing exactly what you said, decoupling the rotor speed from the pitch is why the CP is truly better than FP. For one thing, the torque changes every time you change the throttle. This makes lots of extra work for the tail trying to match the torque change. The other thing constant head speed does for you is it allows you to actively push the heli down rather than cutting head speed and allowing gravity to pull it down. Active pushing down is really important when outdoors in wind, especially with small models.

You don't have to do any 3D tricks to reap the ebenfits of flying with constant head speed. Its a great benefit even for hovering and simple forward flight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in