Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
Parky
Registered Users

Default GV1 incorrect rpm ***Got It Sorted Thanks CapeBob***

Hi
I am running a gv1 on my fury but cannot get the gv to give the set rpm as shown on gv screen, I have set gear ratio 8.45-1 on gv, sens output is 97% magnets are mounted correct distance from centre of hub and magnets are correct way up 1 magnet shows 97% the other 2% the set speed in 1600 in normal and 1750 in idel1&2 switched by throttle in norm and throttle curve raised in idel1&2 to stop gv dropping out. Actual speed measured with MA optical tach is 1800 in norm with over 2000 in idel up, does anyone have any suggestions why gv1 is so far out.

I have the same problem with my tempest as well using different radio gear but same radio 9z wc2.

Just add all gear is Futaba throttle servos are 9202 fury and 9252 tempest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parky is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:18 AM   #2
Parky
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Any Ideas ?

Does anyone have any ideas as what I could be doing wrong ?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:35 AM   #3
vitek
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll bite. Are you sure that it is the GV-1 causing your troubles?

Is the GV-1 is coming on at all? On the bench with the engine off, you can use the SwCd menu to see when the GV-1 thinks it should be on or off.

If the GV-1 thinks it should be on when you think it should, you could disconnect the sensor plug from the GV-1 control box, then fly and tach it. If the headspeeds are close to where they were before, I'd assume that the high speeds are caused by your throttle curves, and the GV-1 isn't activating for some reason.

Travis
vitek is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:29 AM   #4
capebob
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This happened to me once. I had the "speed display mode" set to "Eng" and not "Rot" and because the governor was trying to tell the engine to operate at 1750 rpm (the rpm I had set in the governor) the governor would never turn on. Check page 35 of the wonderful GV-1 manual.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:36 AM   #5
WillJames
HF Support

My HF Map location

I did the EXACT thing Bob with my first GV-1! I got it when I bought Shannon's Raptor. I thought it was so cool, I started checking through the menus, etc. Then one wrong click of the + sign....

When I got to the field, no more governor. I came home frustrated, got out the manual...and there it was, obvious!

I have never even told Shannon about this, I was embarassed. I guess he will know now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you fly you are going to crash.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not again!!!
WillJames is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
capebob
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I have never even told Shannon about this, I was embarassed. I guess he will know now.
Ever since I tried to take off with one of my blades on backward, nothing embarrasses me in this hobby.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
Old 04-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #7
inkspot1967
Registered Users

you have to make sure it comes on first man...been there done that also all excited got my gv1 in ran down field tryed it...and no good had 3 people look at it no good went home and there it was gv1 not turning on...damn 9z radio lol !!! now i love it

like vitek said goto the SwCd menu and make sure it says on in all flight modes and hold been there done that again !!!

more then likely its not even ...on i'm sure alot of us have done it... its like giving a kid candy and telling him not to eat it to fast....so we just rush in into the heli run like little kids with candy !!!

Old 04-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
WillJames
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you do the RPM mistake Bob mentioned, the SwCd will show all the right on's, but it still will not work. Be sure and check. That is what was blowing my mind at the field. Everything appeared to be right with all the settings, the switches and stick switch all worked great.

If you fly you are going to crash.
Not again!!!
WillJames is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
vitek
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebob
I had the speed display mode set to Eng and not Rot.
I never would've thought of that one, but that is a perfectly good way to make a GV-1 not work

Travis
vitek is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
Parky
Registered Users

Default GV1 is swithcing on

Hi thanks for the feedback,

The GV1 is definately switching on, I have also got a on/off switch for the gv programmed in the tranny.
Flying with out the gv1 switched on wheather it is connected or not using the 9z throttle curves then all is OK, but as soon as I switch on gv the headspeed goes right of the Tach unless I drop the headspead on the gv menu to a very low setting, It works fine its just that there does not seem to be any relation to the set rpm on the gv and the actual rotor rpm.

The only other thing I can think of is that the tach is incorrect, but I must admit the headspeed does sound very high with the gv on and set to 1750rpm.

capebob
"I had the "speed display mode" set to "Eng" and not "Rot""

This is purely so you can display engine rpm or Rotor rpm on the GV1 display, and as far as I can see does not affect the setup or running of the GV1.

I have heared of a hidden menu system on the gv is there a setting within the Hidden menus to calibrate the GV ?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:40 AM   #11
DavidH

My HF Map location

Parky,
Are the throttle limits set correctly in the GV1?
This can make a difference in the operation of the GV1.
This will need to be done in the Limit Set screen of the GV1.
Then you can test the settings in the Limit test screen to see if the function is operating correctly.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
CyberHeli
Registered Users

I had this same thing happened to me a couple of times. When the engine is set too lean, the GV1 will not be able to control the rpm through the throttle. The throttle limit tells the GV1 how low it can go and if at that point, your engine is already overheating, it will stay at high rpm disregardless if the GV1 goes to idle minimum or not.

A easy way to prove this is to open up your idle needle by half a turn or so and see what happens. If my guess is correct, your engine will at least stay in the preset rpm for a little while before it heats up again and go crazy. Or, maybe half a turn is enough to cure the problem.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #13
SAL
Registered Users

Stephen, it can also happen the other way around, if the engine is too rich, i will not hold a higher rpm.

It is always advised that you tune your engine with the GV1 turned off, once the needles are set, turn it back on.

Hey you guys already know this right????

Freya X-Spec 90 Viperhead
-----------------------------------------------------
SAL is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:05 PM   #14
Parky
Registered Users

Default ATV's are set correct.

Thanks all again for your ideas.

The ATV's are set fine with the GV using the limit function and have been tested with the tst function.

Engine tuning seems to be OK, Im running a YS91 good transition from Idle to mid with good smoke trail and Plenty of Power at top end pulling +11 deg pitch, engine doesn't seem to overspeed or Bog just nice and reliable. this is the same if I use the GV or not.

I have no issues with the GV1 except if I dial in 1750rpm at RSX1,2 or 3 as a set rpm the GV1 will return a much higher rpm in reality, so I just have to set the set rpm in the GV1 to somethink lower than I require.

It is though the Gear ratio is all messed up, and my gear ratio is definately 7.75-1 on the MA Tempest FIA and this is set in the GV1.

I can work around the problem its just anoying me.

P.S Nice to see you about here Stephen (Cyberheli) thanks for the deal on the Radio gear last month. (Alan Parker)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #15
pilotError
Registered Users

Default Re: GV1 incorrect rpm

This sounds stupid, but is your gear ratio set correctly? You didn't pick up a used GV-1 and have the wrong ratio in it did you?
Old 04-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #16
Tom Fiddler
Registered Users

What are your ATV's on the throttle? If these are to narrow the gv1 can have problems
Also be sure the ATV's are even (within 10 points) for high and low
Unless I'm confused (happens alot) your first post says 8:45 ratio, later I read 7.75 just wondering.
The hidden menu on the GV-1 is not something that you should have to mess with to fix your problem. I have been through them quite a bit and I really don't believe there is a "Calibration" number in there.
That should be a funtion of the base software.
I would start counting teeth and verify the gear ratio......You never know for sure unless you do.

Keep us posted

Stator Gator
Sold Heli's to build AMC Racecar....still lurking
Tom Fiddler is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #17
Parky
Registered Users

Default Gear Ratio is correct and GV was new from Cyberheli

Gear ratio is correct, I have two birds with GV fitted Tempest on 7.75-1 and Extreme with 8.45-1 both helis have the same problem with different GV's fitted, the one on the extreme has an optical sensor while the one on the tempest has the original Futaba sensor.

I guess that I must be doing something wrong I just can't see what, I will have to go through the setup menu on the GV and write down settings, do the same for the Radio and then post results and then perhaps some one can figure out where I am going wrong.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #18
Parky
Registered Users

Default Got it sorted Thanks Very Much and Apology for capebob

Well Capebob hit the nail on the head, I read the manual and assumed it to say that Speed display mode would show Eng or Rotor Rpm when engine was running.
But it also displays the values set in RSX 1,2 or 3 in Engine Rpm or Rotor Rpm depending on how it is set. I had it set to Eng therefore I was setting What I thought was Rotor Rpm at 1750 but in Fact was setting Engine Rpm to 1750 which is not a good Idea for a YS91

So Capebob I do apologise to you as you were correct all the time.

Thanks very much for everyone’s help, and perseverance with me, It just goes to show without this forum I may have never solved this problem.
I have learnt one thing never assume anything. [/b]
Old 04-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #19
capebob
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No apology needed. Gald I could help.

Bob

Churchill
Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #20
Tom Fiddler
Registered Users

Glad to hear it
I love when stuff like this gets sorted out

Stator Gator
Sold Heli's to build AMC Racecar....still lurking
Tom Fiddler is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.