Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #61
mstram
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by minskie View Post

To think I wasted $40.00 on Clearview.

This beats FMS & Clearview hands down.
First the "wasted $40.00", seems to imply that Clearview doesn't "work", or maybe you were just saying, that for your purposes HS works as well as CV. If it's the latter, fine. Otherwise it sounds like an unfair "slam" against a very good product.

I have FMS, HS and Clearview .

All of the sims have have pros and cons.

For a rank beginner HS, and Clearview's best feature are the "slowdown" time option. FMS doesn't have that directly, you need to edit the individual heli parameter file, which gets messy.

I love the training modes in HS, where you can freeze the XYZ, it's great to "drill" orientation / manouvering. Clearview doesn't have that, but does have "timescale" slowdown, which can give a somewhat similar effect.

On my "low end" system / video card (geforce mx420), Clearview's graphics are much better than HS, primarily the photorealistic backgrounds, which add to the "immersion" factor. No matter what setting I use in HS, I still get a "grainy" / flicker, ... no big deal, I'm more concerned with the flight dynamics, which seem to be great (don't know for sure, haven't flown a real heli yet).

One of the best features of FMS, that neither CV or HS have is the moveable camera. Sure that isn't "realistic", but neither is a sim in the first place ! I particularly like the ability to move the camera up vertically, so you don't have to be "looking up".

I also love the extremely fast reload/reset times in both HS and FMS, FMS being the fastest where "uncrashable" is a great option. Clearview's reload tmes vary considerably depending on the model (the Raptors seem to reload the fastest).

Mike
mstram is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #62
mojopt
Registered Users

Default Very Good Job...

Just loaded HS. This is a pleasant surprise. Everything runs great, I am using my G3.5 interlink controller and it is working extremely well.

Mark, thanks for the effort. You did very well.

Best regards...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #63
minskie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstram View Post
First the "wasted $40.00", seems to imply that Clearview doesn't "work", or maybe you were just saying, that for your purposes HS works as well as CV. If it's the latter, fine. Otherwise it sounds like an unfair "slam" against a very good product.
Plain and simple, I bought Clearview before I knew of Helisim.

Having downloaded and used Helisim, I find it to be a more realistic flight model than Clearview and I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it has an automatic flight logging/logbook feature. To know at a glance my logged flight time is great and gives me a good guide to my experience level.

I'm not at all interested in fancy graphics or picturesque scenery. Just interested in learning to fly.

Another bonus of this is that Helisim is way smaller in file size and loads in seconds.

In a nutshell, I think it is better than Clearview and it is free to use.

Minskie
minskie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #64
Dusty1000
Registered Users

I've had HeliSim for a while now & think it's great. Much more realistic than FMS. With FMS you can get the heli into a hover, go make a cup of tea, and the heli will still be sitting there hovering when you get back.

Also the other week on the Heliguy forum someone complained that FMS would not work on their old computer which didn't have the graphic capability. I suggested he try HeliSim and he reported back saying that it works just fine.

Thanks very much for a great sim Mark, and keep up the good work!

Dusty
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #65
ginnz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

guys, im using helisim rc for a while, i use my dx6i with it, with a usb cable i got on ebay, and its working great (thanks mark), my question is, how do i use Idle Up? i really need to start flying idle up.....

jeez, ive tried everything with my dx6i to get idle up working...... it will goto idle up, but i cannot get - pitch for the life of me! its prolly something simple, but i just cant figure it out. ive tried using the radios curves, and the sims curves....

can someone post their curves used in the sim? ive changed mine so many times, i dunno whats right anymore. and what do i use in the dx6i for curves. if i 0 out the TC and PC in the radio, i get no spool up, even though im checking the use sim curves box..... so i built another linear curve in the radio for throttle, now itll work, but no - pitch.

Last edited by ginnz; 09-26-2008 at 07:25 AM..
ginnz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #66
PilotSmith
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read here that people have had success using the GWS USB cable with the DX7 radio on HS. I just received the cable today and it doesn't work. Windows detects the cable and it shows up as a 6 axis, 12 button joystick with hat switch. But when I plug it into my DX7 neither HS or Clearview have any response when I move the sticks on the radio. Is there some trick to get the DX7 to work with the GWS GWFSM002 cable? The cable has 3 conductors at the end that looks like a standard stereo plug.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #67
trevheli
Registered Users

Hi I'm a beginner just mastering a tail in hover. It's a Belt CP with the Esky transmitter. Looks as if your Helisim will be just the thing to help me progress. However I seem to have a problem completing the transmitter calibration.......I can assign all functions except left/right cyclic. Calibration does not recognise the left/right stick movement (mode 2). Any ideas?
trevheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #68
jolo
Registered Users

Default Some tips

I'm a noob to helis and can't even hover yet (too busy fixing the beltcp ). Anyway I've been using HeliSim for a few weeks via PPJoy and SmartPropoPlus first with the Esky 406A and now with a DX6i. It works pretty good for me, and now it's even better:

Now like a few of you I was having trouble hovering. It just seemed too touchy and was too hard keeping it a level height. A few comments here say to use the built-in curves as it's easier. But yesterday I disabled that and put the pitch on a separate channel so I could use the Tx curves, and all I can say is it's soooo much better, especially for hovering. I don't know why using the built-in curves make it harder but it did with my setup. Also, idle up mode works great.

So here's a couple of tips if you want to try:

- When trying to map a channel to pitch (might be hard since throttle will also move), flick throttle hold on the Tx then only the pitch channel will move

- After mapping the channels, re-calibrate the Tx. But, first make sure the throttle and pitch curves have a 0-100 range. If you calibrate with the pitch going from, say, 45-100 the sim will think that is the full range. Easiest way for me is temporarily adjust one of the points in the pitch curve to zero while calibrating.
[Edit: actually I think you may need linear curves to calibrate properly. I just copied the "sim" model setup in the Tx to a new one called "calib" and set linear curves.]

Hope this helps.
BTW, I don't see why this wouldn't work with a proper 6 channel usb adapter.
jolo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #69
bgagnon
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Jolo,

Good work and in fact I does work with a USB adapter. That's exactly how I did my setup with a Dx6i and fms usb adapter. It work like a champ.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bgagnon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #70
The Steve-O
Registered Users

I have been using the Heli Sim with a modified X-Box (original) controller and it works great. It only took 5 min of changing settings to get all the axis to work. The only thing is that the controller uses triggers for throttle hold and idle up, and my DX6 doesn't . Keep up the good work on the sim
Old 11-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #71
RCSavager

My HF Map location

Every time somebody asks the question nobody gets an answer. Can this, or ANY sim, be used with a 2.4GHz FASST radio (I have the 7C)?

Every sim I've tried requires PPM setting on the radio and that doesn't exist in a DSM-only radio like my 7C. I have the FSM cable but I'd like somebody to address this question for those of us past the FM stage of the hobby. Please.
RCSavager is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #72
rnbiker
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Awesome simulator...for FREE?!!?

I just downloaded this simulator after encountering this thread in a forum search. I just have to say "wow"!! Keep in mind that I also own Realflight G4 and while this little sim doesn't have the "awesome" graphics of Realflight, it works surprisingly well. It is really easy to set up and worked perfectly with an old usb interface and an old Esky 6 channel heli radio. I downloaded and installed the upgraded hi-res graphics and it is really a very cool sim. It would be perfect for someone just learning that doesn't want to spend the money to invest in Realflight, but wants something better than FMS (okay, a LOT better!). The physics seem to be pretty accurate, certainly enough to master hovering and provide orientation training for basic flight. One thing I REALLY like about this little program OVER my Realflight, is the way you can very quickly and EASILY change your pitch and throttle curves and expo. I wish Realflight had this simple and valuable feature. It's really cool to do quick adjusts and see how it works with your flying style. You can even make it SUPER docile for just learning. I was amazed at how accurately it seemed to reflect the "radio" settings when flying. In fact, I have some new curve points to try on my radio after fiddling with the settings in the sim "radio". If you haven't checked out this sim already, give it a try....I think you'll be pleased and the price is my favorite price....FREE!! Much thanks to the programmer!! Excellent work....keep on tweaking. If you get it up to the graphics level and such as Realflight and keep your "easy tweak" feature for curves and radio settings, I'll GLADLY give you the money I spent for my copy of G4. Thanks again.
rnbiker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #73
Ian 777
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mark I love the way your sim flies

Do you know of a cable that will work with my DX6i?
on my old computer with Xp my Esky sim box automatically operated with Idle up on all the time which was fine. My new computer has vista and the sim automatically operates in normal mode and as the Esky box it 4 ch I cant use idle up or any other switchable features.

It was the previous version I was running on my old computer.

The sim Trex 450 flies just like my Trexified belt

Thanks

Ian
Ian 777 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #74
veloce F1
Registered Users

ya the sim is awesome, I've got my dx6i hooked up with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable I had sitting next to my stereo, use smartpropoplus and ppjoy, took alot of time trying to configure but keep playing with the analog numbers in the ppjoy configuration, you will not be able to go idle up with the controller, just keyboard, and throttle cut will cut the throttle but also the lift values so you cant use that either, but you can use the d&r expo's and throttle / pitch curves in the dx6i to adjust heli flight....
veloce F1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #75
BigStatiK
Registered Users

works great in vista with LP5DSM with 3.5 to 3.5 STEREO jack
using smartpropoplus and ppjoy.

took 3 min to set up and get flying.

THANKS!!
BigStatiK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #76
Gleber
Registered Users

Mark... I really appreciate the freeware. Keep it up!!!

Best Regards
Gleber
Gleber is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #77
treedodger
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleber View Post
Mark... I really appreciate the freeware. Keep it up!!!

Best Regards
Gleber
Yeah, it's a great piece of code. I have licensed copies of FS One and Clearview, but I keep coming back to this one.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #78
chopstick
Registered Users

i have installed it with Vista, ppjoy and smartpropoplus. Use an old WFT6 ch transmitter, and connect it using the mic-port on my laptop.
Works great.

Now i want to make this running on an other laptop, using ubuntu 8.10 and wine.
Helisim works.
who knows if ppjoy and smartpropoplus will work with wine, and how do i configure this setup?
chopstick is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #79
Capatosta
Registered Users

Default HeliSim Support for Serial Cable

Any way to make HeliSim work with a serial cable via the com port
Capatosta is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #80
Tux62
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
I would like to announce the offering of HeliSim: a new free simulator for RC electric helicopters.I wrote this simulator, mainly to fill the needs of new RC heli pilots. I genuinely believe it to be substantially better than FMS for helicopters, especially 450 electrics. I hope it offers new fliers a simulator that will provide good training, and
I hope you enjoy it!
Positively awesome job with the Simulator. Mega-Kudos to you!

Yes, it works under Wine with no problems whatsoever.
(Wine 1.1.9 under Fedora Linux 8 - Nvidia video driver with full openGL support)

For a controller, I'm using a Logitech dual action
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga...s/288&cl=US,EN

Works just fine- and it's $20
My daughter's boyfriend uses an Xbox USB controller... after remapping it, it also worked.

Having fun with it.... crashing all over the place ( I have coaxials and the CP is WAY more aggressive in it's flight characteristics)

I have already installed all the canopies from your site, do you know of any other model "par" files that have been created to simulate other models.... perhaps other .... less agressive... models to learn on?
Tux62 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Other R/C Flight Simulators

Other R/C Flight Simulators Other R/C Flight Simulators