Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
HighVoltage450
Clone of dwdw910

Default 450L Build Review- DOMINATOR

The mailman brought me another Dominator today and with this being my third time building one, I had to comment on how ridiculously awesome this thing is. I bought the kit version and took note of some very nice changes to my customary 450 Pro DFC.

- Fitment is stellar. Its not hard to see why they are called Align. The parts have perfect tolerances. It comes more assembled than ever- like the main gear installed to the main gear case... I mean tight. Everything else is loosely assembled which makes life easier than picking out little parts here and there

- The Dampers are actually awesome now and there is no more play in the head. I bought Truebloods but with this kit- I don't see the point in them. The new bearing arrangement, larger feathering shaft and larger feathering shaft end bolts, double pinch bolt head make for a badass head.

- The thrust bearing tail has been updated again as the thrust bearing plates have a new order. Its simpler with less parts which is good because the bearings are tiny.

- Align paid attention to details in this bird. The main gear fits right into the frame, no more wiggling it around. The bottom plate is custom cut to fit into the frame better. Its pretty slick. The anti rotation bracket slips in and out so you don't have to unbolt and remove the entire thing anymore. Just slip it in and out which makes setup so easy.

- Servo layout is the bomb. The servos are so easy to setup and the entire bearing blocks work together with the servos themselves to bolt down the head. This is massive improvement and no doubt is stronger.

- The pinion has a set screw that goes into a new slot on the shaft. Which keeps it locked onto something flat. No more helical pinions jammed down on the shaft.

- The motor is bolted down with 8 oversized bolts that follow the new CNC braces. This helicopter means business. Can you say anti torsion control? All that power goes right into the blades and the frame stays straight. Also the motor being mounted up top allows you to remove it entirely with four bolts and pull. You also have direct access from the underside to set gear mesh and you could also easily change pinions without even removing the motor.

- The rudder servo is offset within the frame so it shoots a straight line at the tail. This is a big improvement.

Wiring is much easier as there is more room and straighter lines in the frame. All internal wiring is a breeze. You don't even have to build half the frame... Just build it all and wire it up.

I read some heresay that the Dominator is heavier than the DFC. It isn't at all. If you want to calculate the frame braces as extra weight... that's about all you can count.

The other stuff is pretty much the same as the DFC. I loved the DFC but the Dominator is truly a work of art.

The ONLY thing I can complain about. the new offset ball ends for the aileron and pitch cyclic servo horns were just a tad short to meet the lock nut on the other side. DO NOT leave the lock nut off! Take a sharp exacto knife and thin the servo horn down a bit so you can get the nut on the other end of the ball link.

This thing is beyond amazing. There is more stuff too.. little details- like the main blade bolts sink down deeper into the nylon lock nut... They are much tighter and more secure.

Next time you crash your helicopter- I'd suggest making the change. Prepare to be blown away.

Last edited by HighVoltage450; 11-06-2013 at 11:40 AM..
HighVoltage450 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Moleo76
Registered Users

+1, I absolutely love mine. Almost gave up on 450s until this bird came around. The guys at my field have nicknamed it "little monster".
Moleo76 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
SMOKEMASTER60
Registered Users

Me too, great heli and having a blast with this thing. Nice write up
Team iKon Rep // HALO BLADES
DX8 with Telemetry // Pheonix Simulator
SMOKEMASTER60 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
koi-fish
Registered Users

Got my head, frame, and landing gear assemblies built last night, am very surprised at how easy they all came together. Only gripe so far is that a washer was missing from one of the main grips, the brass looking one. I luckily had one in the extra parts I bought for it.

"It's not getting any smarter out there, you have to come to grips with stupidity and make it work for you" - Frank Zappa
koi-fish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
lowflyer101
Registered Users

Replace front tube gear on 450l a rear pain in the anal, and there gear strip easy. honest i do not like new design of front tail gear housing. Wish i can using the old style gear housing in 450l, easy to install and remove for gear job. After replacing front tube gear, wish i did not pick up the 450l

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lowflyer101 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Yfbb
Registered Users

The 450l is heavier, but the 20-40g of extra weight is pretty negligible. How are the servos? I am thinking about getting some for my 250. The tail drive on the 450l is identical to the 450 pro version, and the gears are interchangeable. I don't see how it is any harder than before.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
DominicD
The Capi

My HF Map location

Interesting review HV450 I rather like my 450L but there is a TON of areas that could be improved. I could probably generate a list of negative just as long as your positives

Spreading capibara awareness since 2006
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DominicD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Tommy649
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Interesting review HV450 I rather like my 450L but there is a TON of areas that could be improved. I could probably generate a list of negative just as long as your positives
Sounds like you have been hanging out at your mayors house a little to often...

450L is just awesome all over

lol

Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi on 35" BFG's

Last edited by Tommy649; 11-06-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Tommy649 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
lowflyer101
Registered Users

Quote:
Same quality clay sft hex head screws
Front tube gear housing design (hard to install / removing)

lowflyer101 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
DominicD
The Capi

My HF Map location

My biggest problem with the kit is:

- The way the boom mount has to key into the frame, means you almost have to separate the frames to change rear gears. There is no reason to key into the plastic bits in the frame

- The balls on the swash are too low, means you cannot really use a ball link plier to get the DFC links off

- The servo mounting is so damn tight, the wires are being pinched into position

- Very little spacing between the back of the servo case and the mainshaft, reduces wire routing options

- Overly complicated tail pitch slider, totally unnecessary for no performance improvement ...

Spreading capibara awareness since 2006
DominicD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
SMOKEMASTER60
Registered Users

Quote:
My biggest problem with the kit is:

- The way the boom mount has to key into the frame, means you almost have to separate the frames to change rear gears. There is no reason to key into the plastic bits in the frame

- The balls on the swash are too low, means you cannot really use a ball link plier to get the DFC links off

- The servo mounting is so damn tight, the wires are being pinched into position

- Very little spacing between the back of the servo case and the mainshaft, reduces wire routing options

- Overly complicated tail pitch slider, totally unnecessary for no performance improvement ...
I totally agree with all of these 450L issues, but I have been very lucky as none of them have had a negative impact for me....yet One more thing I found was that it is possible, if not likely for the swash links to catch on the canopy if the battery is pressing on it. I had to cut my canopy a bit to allow more room. But, overall I am super happy with my little 450L
Team iKon Rep // HALO BLADES
DX8 with Telemetry // Pheonix Simulator
SMOKEMASTER60 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Grittner
Registered Users

Hello, im new here...
I just finish to build it, can't what to arrive the battery to start the electronic setup.
any suggestion for the TX Start point SetUp/Config, i have a DX9 (my wife new year gift) im a beginner/intermedient.
any suggestion are well welcome...
Grittner is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.