Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > E-Sky Helicopters > King II/III/IV and CP 2/3

King II/III/IV and CP 2/3 E-Sky King 2, 3, 4 plus CP 2 & 3

Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Graiskye
Registered Users

Default Setting up a rate Gyro

Hello gang, well I received my first collective heli last week. So far so good, hovered it yesterday while checking on the setup and getting tail sorted, sort off.
I would like any info available on setting up the standard gyrsthat comes with the King, Am I correct in that it is a 'rate gyro', and what does it mean exactly. What are the big differences between a Heading hold gyro, and 'Piezo Electric Rate gyro'.

Basically when I hover it seems to hold alright, but to get the tail to move against the torque(clockwise viewed from behind heli,of course), to get it to move that way I have to use FULL deflection, and then it just moves slowly, but I noticed,and this is strange, that when I lowered the RPM a wee bit, the heli turned much easier.
Now I understand the torque lessens, but I thought tail control was a function of head speed, so it appears to be doing the opposite of what I would expect.
Same thing with my havoc heli, when I lower the rpm it will turn...lol.
Anyhow any help I could get to help me diagnose and cure my tail probs are most appreciated. I have a 3900kv BL with an 11 t pinion on the way. kinda waiting for that till I do any serious flying, till then I would just lije to get it set up well.
The initial set up is fine actually, just need the tail sorted.
Typical with the Kingv2 no ?
Thanks again,
-Grais.
Graiskye is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Graiskye
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I give up, HeliFreak is a serious waste of time. I thought there might be some more intelligent people here, but I can see now that was a mistake.
Don't bother replying now, I wont be back, Ive tried this forum for a number of things, and get nada, guess its back too RCU and RCG, places where people actually share info.
Graiskye is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
DumbDawg

My HF Map location

Sorry bro....

I think its cause mostly noobs here sometimes so its blind leading the blind. I know I have questions about gyros too ut info is sometimes hard to get.

Finless Bob vides are great... tons of info in them but NONE for the esky heli's. Fin dude don't like them hence no vids. Because setting up the gyro's on eskys is so limited unless ur going to spend gobs of money off the start theres not a lot you can do.

I have servo creep on mine bee2 and haven't a clue how to adjust it to stop it. Stock Tx means all you can do is get the servo close on the boom and then trim out the rest with the pots on the Tx. Which you have to redo everytime you unplug your bat.

Anyway... sorry to here ur not coming back
DumbDawg is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
another_finn
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know what else he may have experienced here, but damn... Waiting one day and giving up on the whole forum? Throw us a bone here - the whole Esky section is really just starting to take off. I hope he'll be back.

I think the tail authority problem is present on pretty much all King IIs. Early versions shipped with way too small tail blades, and the gear ratio is wrong. I've noticed the same phenomenon where the tail counter-intuitively fails to hold on higher RPM, and I think it's just a symptom of these two basic flaws. Speed or no speed, the main blades are just generating too much torque for the tail to cope with in its out-of-the-box configuration. The Xtreme 43T tail gear and Belt CP / T-Rex tail blades seem to be the only answer.

Here's the basic tail setup video for others who need this information. Watch the others in the series, too - it's great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKKelo2IQw

Oh, and the basic difference between rate and HH: a heading hold gyro knows where the nose is supposed to be pointing and tries to return it there - rate gyros only try to cancel out movement.
T-Rex 600NP, T-Rex 500 ESP, HDX500 SE V2, HDX450 SE V3, T-Rex/Outrage SE V2, EXI450, T-Rex 250, CopterX/Guru-Z hybrid, HBFP separates, Lama V4, 2 x Walkera 4#3B
another_finn is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
DumbDawg

My HF Map location

He may be a tad impatient I agree.

I have the 43t upgrade and am waiting on a pair of trex fatties cause the tail on my kiing2 doesn't hold that steady, it wants to skid out as well especially on going from high head speeds and dropping down fairly quick.

I hope Finless will do some more on esky's as they are getting very popular, even tho he thinks they are junk.

My HH just doesn't seem to want to hold it in the same orientation as it was pointing. It almost acts more like a rate than a HH.

I'll keep tweeking... gives me something to do other than crashing...
DumbDawg is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
another_finn
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbDawg View Post
My HH just doesn't seem to want to hold it in the same orientation as it was pointing.
Mine's kinda similar... After lots of tweaking and modifications it will finally hold a heading reasonably well, as long as I don't get too picky about which heading

The same model works fine on the Belt CP, though. Maybe it's a vibration issue...
T-Rex 600NP, T-Rex 500 ESP, HDX500 SE V2, HDX450 SE V3, T-Rex/Outrage SE V2, EXI450, T-Rex 250, CopterX/Guru-Z hybrid, HBFP separates, Lama V4, 2 x Walkera 4#3B
another_finn is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > E-Sky Helicopters > King II/III/IV and CP 2/3

King II/III/IV and CP 2/3 E-Sky King 2, 3, 4 plus CP 2 & 3