START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

Old 10-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Reindeer
Registered Users

Default Question on setting up the ECU

As you can see from the photos, mechanical assembly is now complete! The whole bird went together extremely well; no problem with the documentation, no missing parts! We are happy campers, ready to fire up this bird.

We are just going thru setting up the ECU for the first time, and a question has come up. When the transmitter (JR X10) and receiver are powered up, the operating screen of the ECU display shows a temperature reading of T=000 'C (instead of the actual ambient temperature), which is an indication that the temperature probe is not connected. We have checked, and double checked the plug-in socket location and orientation of the temperature probe in the ECU, according to the diagram shown on the body of the ECU, to no avail; all we get is a ready of T=000. We are concerned about proceeding any further in the startup procedure until this is resolved. Any comments or opinions??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fd801003.jpg (142.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg fd801005.jpg (139.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg fd801004.jpg (124.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg fd801001.jpg (120.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg fd801006.jpg (132.8 KB, 71 views)
Reindeer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Greg Alderman
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yes, you should be getting a temp reading with the EGT probe plugged in...if you are not getting any reading and you are sure you have the probe plugged into the FADEC correctly then it would seem you possibly have a bad sensor or FADEC...but just for shits and giggles look again and make sure...as unlike the solenoid valves which can be plugged into the FADEC either way...the EGT probe has to be connected with the corrrect plug polarity...you might try putting the plug in the other way just to make sure that it wasn't wired backwards...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kontronik USA Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greg Alderman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
Reindeer
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Greg, thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I thought the same thing (that the plug may be miss-wired); so I turned the plug around and got the same reading, T=000'C. Where do I go from here?

Garren
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Reindeer
Registered Users

As a follow up...

I went through a dry run on the start-up cycle (no gas or fuel connected) as a further check on the ECU. The ECU seems to be performing its function OK; i.e., there were three attempted starts, spinning the turbine up to about 6200 rpm, using the built-in electric starter, before a time-out message finally appeared on the ECU readout, shutting down the start-up attempt. However, during the start-up attempts there was a metal-on-metal rubbing sound around the compressor intake cone ( I isolated this by putting a metal screw driver to my ear). Is this something that will go away when the turbine starts for real? I tried this dry-run start-up proceedure about five times and the rubbing sound did not diminish

Garren
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Greg Alderman
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well...hard to tell if it is the EGT or the FADEC causing the problem...unfortunately it looks like you might need to have a new FADEC and/or EGT sent to you...

I guess a call to Bergen is in order...

As for the scraping noise...you really shouldn't have any coming from the compressor side, but if it is very minor go ahead on your first start and it should go away as all the parts "find" themselves...but it is not uncommon for the 1st start to have some sparks fly out the exhaust...my first start on the Wren that was going into the Bergen was done at night and there was a bunch of sparks coming out of that one!

Kontronik USA Service

Old 10-25-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Gary Travis
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can get a metal on metal sound which appears to be at the compreesor, before getting nervous check that the starter is not pulled out to far from the spinner nut. If it is sometimes it tends to engage at an angle causing the sound. I have seen this on mine once or twicw.
Gary
Magnum Fuels
Wren Turbines
Ircha #2289
AMA #9377
Gary Travis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Reindeer
Registered Users

Gary,

You hit the nail on the head! The screeching sound is not from the compressor rubbing on the housing, it is from the starter spinner nut. I can see this by shinning a flashlight through the FOD screen, as the starter cone engages the spinner on the turbine shaft. The compressor/turbine wheel/shaft appears to be tuning very freely. Although the screeching noise is irratating, is it really harmful? It only occurs during start-up. Do I really need to pull the starter and make an adjustment?

Greg,

I'll call Bergen in the morning. I'm afraid to attempt to start the turbine without a reliable temperature signal coming into the FADAC.

Thanks for your help, fellas
Garren
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Greg Alderman
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Garren...might as well not attemp a start...the only thing that will happen is that it will start spinning up on gas...no kero will be pumped in as the FADEC will never see the 100C min start temp needed...

Glad you found your noise...I would re-adjust your motor again (I am sure Gary will agree) I had a "screeching" started at IRCHA...went away when I changed the O-ring but came back a few starts later...finally got rid of it by adjusting the motor the way described by Wren in the directions but backed the starter out about 2mm instead of 1mm...never had a noise again...

Kontronik USA Service

Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #9
Gary Travis
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Garren
Just loosen the starter set screws and reset it. This should end your problem. Glad I could help.
Gary
Magnum Fuels
Wren Turbines
Ircha #2289
AMA #9377
Gary Travis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
cbergen
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Until the phone call.........

You may not get an ambient temp reading, remember this thing is measuring in Centigrade and expects to see upwards of 450 degrees C.

Couple of things to check if it won't start,

Propane canister has been filled and there are no kinks in the hoses going to the valve and then into the turbine itself. It may be that the green propane hose has a kink under the fod screen/nose cone.

The propane valve has a needle adjustment, turn it 4 turns out then lock it down.

Check the glow plug, ensure the filament is pulled out far enough to light the gas, and possibly increase the power to the plug using the data terminal.

In addition to the slight adjustment of the starter motor, put a drop of light oil on the bendix coupling, being careful not to get it on the o-ring.

I like those aluminum caps on your fuel bottles, whereever did you get them?? :glasses2: :glasses2:
Old 10-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
Reindeer
Registered Users

Problems resolved! Talked with Chris Bergen this AM; he suggested testing the temperature probe by pulling the tip out of the well and holding a Bic lighter under it. Sure enough, doing this, there was a temperature reading; so the temp prob and ECU are working properly! Next step is fuel it up and fire it up.

Our problem was that we were proceding according to instructions; Wren's instructions, that is. Their instructions state that when initiating the ECU with your transmitter, the temperature reading displayed on the operating screen should be ambient; ours read T=000'C. This concerned us. But, apparently, the temp probe won't register a temperature that low (our ambient was about 65 F).

Thanks for all the help and assistance; hope this experience helps others,
Garren and Gary

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters