START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Kyosho

Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters

Old 08-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
jun_1.8T
Registered Users

Default Newbie w/ Kyosho Caliber 30

hey there people.....just got a new Caliber 30 today from a local guy who built it but never took it off the ground. everything is still new. i think its the kit that has the OS .30 engine in it. its all been assembled and has 3-servos for CCPM and a tail servo installed. i've been flying 450 electrics for about a year now....and this will be my first nitro heli. just need to know a few things. first of all....can you guys check the things i'll be needing as far as electronics go. here is my list that i think i will need:

1. gyro
2. servo throttle???
3. receiver (6 or 7 channels???)
4. receiver pack
5. regulator????
6. starter and starter shaft
7. fuel(what kind?) i'm also racing on-road nitro cars....same fuel???? 20-25%???

....thats all i can think of right now. feel free to add whatever you think is necessary.

second question is....will it be the same setup as a an electric heli? is it important to have a governor? i dont even know what is that i see a lot of nitro heli have like a secondary smaller fuel tank...what is that for....do i need it???

and lastly....is the Caliber 30 a good heli to start with? i mean...is it easy to setup/fly and maintain??

sorry for all these questions....totally newbie with this thing. i'm really eager to get it up in the air. thanks to all!!!
jun_1.8T is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
oosnoopy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_1.8T View Post
hey there people.....just got a new Caliber 30 today from a local guy who built it but never took it off the ground. everything is still new. i think its the kit that has the OS .30 engine in it. its all been assembled and has 3-servos for CCPM and a tail servo installed. i've been flying 450 electrics for about a year now....and this will be my first nitro heli. just need to know a few things. first of all....can you guys check the things i'll be needing as far as electronics go. here is my list that i think i will need:

1. gyro
2. servo throttle???
4. receiver pack
5. regulator????
7. fuel(what kind?) i'm also racing on-road nitro cars....same fuel???? 20-25%???

....thats all i can think of right now. feel free to add whatever you think is necessary.

second question is....will it be the same setup as a an electric heli? is it important to have a governor? i dont even know what is that i see a lot of nitro heli have like a secondary smaller fuel tank...what is that for....do i need it???

and lastly....is the Caliber 30 a good heli to start with? i mean...is it easy to setup/fly and maintain??

sorry for all these questions....totally newbie with this thing. i'm really eager to get it up in the air. thanks to all!!!
Jun1.8t,

I'm still new to helicopters myself, but I own a caliber 30 myself and feel I can give you some direction.

Things you will need.
(electronics)
Gyro (I run a cheap head and hold, but I don't 3D).
4 normal servos (3 for CCPM, 1 for your throttle)
1 tail servo
6 channel receiver plus a battery spot (so I would just get a 7 or 8)
Receiver pack

(Other)
Fuel (15-20% nitro should be fine) You can buy heli mix fuel
glow plug lighter
starter and shaft
fuel pump

I don't run a governor on mine, but again my flying to require one.

If you setup your electric you will have little trouble with this beast. Overall this heli will be much more stable than your 450, unless you're into heavy 3D, you should love it. Nitro has a special feel which I like myself.

As always if you can find a local extra to help you with setup; that's best, but feel free to PM and I'll do my best to assist and good luck.
oosnoopy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
jun_1.8T
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks "oosnoopy" for the reply.....fuel pump for what??? is this just to fill up the heli with nitro or you actually need to put this on he heli?? i guess ill be talking to you a lot then....thanks bro!
jun_1.8T is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
oosnoopy
Registered Users

Just a pump for putting fuel into the heli tank . Keep us posted on your progress.
oosnoopy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
ZephanRC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also just picked up a Caliber 30 from someone that only flew it once, crashed and gave up on it. I have an Align 600N, but I got a hell of a deal on the Caliber30 and just want to get it in the air for basic orientation practice etc.

I'm probably also going to go without a govenor (may have a TJ pro laying around that I may try on it). What kind of headspeed should I shoot for with wood blades and plastic blade grips?

I don't think the engine (OS30, I think, maybe 32) has even been run in yet. Any idea what a typical needle setting is?

The belt drive systems sure is a lot different than what I'm used to on my 600N, but this should be a fun project.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
heli-cuzz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_1.8T View Post

1. gyro
2. servo throttle???
4. receiver pack
5. regulator????

My first heli was the Caliber30 and I had recently retired it due to it being sentimental to me{my wife bought it}and it has somewhere above 160 hours flite time.

#1a. I recommend a GY401 gyro. Its easy to set up and it will hold your tail rock solid.
#1b? What tail servo is on the machine now?
#2. Any servo will do just fine on the throttle.
#3. 6 channel is sufficient unless you want to run a governor then you'll need a 7th channel. You can get away with a Revmax on a 6 channel because the revmax has a pot you can adjust manually.
#4. I have always used a 4.8v 2100mah or larger.
#5. IMO there is a need for a regulator.
#6. A good quality starter. I started with a Hangar9 HD but it couldn't handle turning over my 90 sized heli so I recommend a Sullivan Dynatron if you plan on going big one day. A 6mm one-way starter shaft will do just fine.
#7. Don't run car or buggy fuel as the oil content is to low for a heli engine. The constant high rpm from hovering to landing requires a higher oil content.

2nd question. Basically it will be the same as an electric set up minus the electric motor and esc.
You should learn how to set up throttle curves. A governor is a plus but its always nice to have a throttle curve for back up in case the gov fails while in flite.

Last question. The Caliber30 is a great heli to learn with. Its stable, smooth, and tracks very well in FFF.
I learned with the Caliber 30.
Here's me flying the Caliber5 after learning with the Caliber30. This vid was taken last september at my 1-1/2 year mark and I've been flying for three years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jAqrPpDKtA

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Brian
Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
ZephanRC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't mean to hijack your thread here jun_1.8T, but this is good info for me as well since I just picked up a Caliber30 too. You may be interested in my questions/answers too.

heli-cuzz,
I checked it out last night and the Caliber30 that I picked up has a OS 32SX-H. It appears from the OS site that it's max power is at 17,000rpm. I couldn't find it in the heli manual. Do you know what the gear ratio is on the Caliber30? If it is 8.5 like a Raptor50 (that I used to own), then I assume I would shoot for a headspead of 2000rpm once I get some better blades. Right now I only have a set of wooden blades (and plastic grips) for it and assume I should keep the rpm under 1800rpm. Does this sound right?

I got the manual for the OS 32SX-H and have some good needle settings to get me started. Another thing that I was wondering however was whether 30% nitro fuel will be ok for the OS32? I use 30% on my 50size, Align 600N and was wondering if I can stick with the same fuel for the OS32 or should I use 15% on the OS32? Or, if I want to save $$, will the OS32 run "well" with 15%?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
rl_sexton
Registered Users

The gear ratio is 9.6-1.
rl_sexton is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
heli-cuzz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephanRC View Post
Don't mean to hijack your thread here jun_1.8T, but this is good info for me as well since I just picked up a Caliber30 too. You may be interested in my questions/answers too.

heli-cuzz,
I checked it out last night and the Caliber30 that I picked up has a OS 32SX-H. It appears from the OS site that it's max power is at 17,000rpm. I couldn't find it in the heli manual. Do you know what the gear ratio is on the Caliber30? If it is 8.5 like a Raptor50 (that I used to own), then I assume I would shoot for a headspead of 2000rpm once I get some better blades. Right now I only have a set of wooden blades (and plastic grips) for it and assume I should keep the rpm under 1800rpm. Does this sound right?

I got the manual for the OS 32SX-H and have some good needle settings to get me started. Another thing that I was wondering however was whether 30% nitro fuel will be ok for the OS32? I use 30% on my 50size, Align 600N and was wondering if I can stick with the same fuel for the OS32 or should I use 15% on the OS32? Or, if I want to save $$, will the OS32 run "well" with 15%?
rl_sexton is correct.
The Caliber 30 is 9.6-1 ratio. When I was flying my Cal30 with woodies. I was running around a 1900rpm headspeed with no problems. I don't see a problem with burning 30% in the OS32sx-h.
All my engines have never seen anything less than 30%. I started with PowerMaster30% then switched to Cy Wildcat30% and never looked back.
It should run fine with 15%, just make sure its a heli-blend fuel and you'll need to fiddle around with needle settings. Make sure there is a nice visible smoke trail, oil on the skids from the exhaust, and this is my favorite test for checking for lean tendencies, hit t-hold after your engine has been running for a couple to three minutes, it should snap right to a smooth consistent idle if tuned correctly, if on the lean side the idle will be racy and erratic.
IMO, the problems with engines being fried is not knowing how to tune them. Run it on the rich side and you'll get a long lasting happy engine that will make you even more happy.
I religously change my crank bearings every 7 to 10 gallons and change the ring{s} when the compression drops below 50% of what it was when new.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
ZephanRC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks guys... One thought. Isn't the max power for the OS32 at 17,000rpm which would mean a 1770 headspeed at 9.6:1?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
jfera22
Registered Users

Hi Guys I recomend taking and absorbing all the info you can form my good friend Brian/aka HELICUZZ I'm about 8 monthes into this challanging hobby and he has been a great mentor/teacher to me!!along with Dave. have made my learning curve more of a little hump instead of a steep hill. and for that I greatful thanks always Brian. pay attention guys the info is invaluable!! good luck on your new heli's.I'm sure things will work out for you guys you ran into the right person. happy flying. Jfera22/aka Joe
jfera22 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
babyuh1
Registered Users

Hi guys,
I just flew my Caliber 30 for the first time and all I can say is WOW! I'M so impressed by this heli that I can't hardly believe it!
The GY 401 gyro and digital servo is even more impressive as it worked perfectly even though I didn't have it set up all of the way. All of my previous experiance is with 450 electrics and a JR Venture 30 and there is no comparison. The Cal 30 is so much smoother and responsive.
I think that I'm in love!
babyuh1 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Kyosho

Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters