Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
jprebb
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Spartan ds760 vs JR 770

I'm ready to spend some money for a new gyro and up until recently, I was sold on the Futaba GY401. But after reading about some of the issues people have been having with the 401, I've narrowed it down to the Spartan ds760 (if I can find it) or the JR 770.

Can you guys tell me if the Spartan is worth the extra money over the 770? What will I be gaining? I see that it's out of stock almost everywhere...is it really that good? If and when I move on to a bigger heli, will the Spartan 760 be able to move along with me?

Thanks,
JP
jprebb is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
r40734
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm not sure about the JR 770, as I've never used one, but the Spartan can be used on any heli you'll ever own. Finding them is, by far, the biggest problem with them, but they can be found. The 401 isn't even in the same league as the DS760, but I don't think it has any many problems as you might think. I've had several of them and have never had an issue.

As far as finding the Spartan goes, here's one: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=93766

There's also a couple of them on eBay right now.
DX7²
Discover Card
r40734 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Roger_15
Registered Users

Jprebb, I just installed the G7703D and it seems to be a fine gyro. It and the 3400G make a good teem and, so far, I would buy it again. However, I would not write off the 401 so fast. It is a good gyro and a good price. Sometimes what you get for more money are more choices, and more choices to a new flyer can be very frustrating.

Setting up a heli presents you with a lot of choices. One of the reasons, I think, that the RTF aircraft are so successful these days is that they remove the choices and your given an airplane or heli that is complete. You don’t have to think about what radio or receiver or glue or, or, and so on.

The reason I bring this up is, setup is everything! Once you start changing the general makeup of the B400, you have opened a can of worms that will require the work that the manufacturer relieved you of.

From what I understand, the Spartan is an excellent gyro, and one of the things you get for your extra money is a lot more choices. The Spartan can offer a computer interface and setup options unique right now. Be prepared to do your homework if you buy it. I don't know of anyone here that uses one so you may be on you own if you run into trouble. Mon_T likes them and he may be able to tell you more about the Spartan. One thing to remember though, if your B400 isn’t setup correctly, no gyro will work for you.

So…bottom line, I think you could be happy with any of the gyros mentioned here. But to tell you the truth, at my current and near future skill level, the little ‘ole 110 did a great job. Held the tail fine and with the help of others, I got her tweaked to perfection. I was happy with the 110 and so far I’m happy with the 770.

Roger.
Roger_15 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
wrh204
Registered Users

Default DS760

Amainhobbies.com currently has them. I was fortunate enough to realize this the other day, and I went to look as I am typing this and they still have them in stock. I hope you read this and are able to get one, but I just thought I would let you know that some places surprisingly do have them. Good luck.
JR 7703D gyro w/ 8900 tail servo
V-Blade TST 600mm, V-blade paddles, V-blade tail
OS 50 Hyper, Quick UK Swash, Canomod Canopy
wrh204 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
totsandman
Registered Users

Get the Spartan Its an amazing gyro . Set up is a cake and fast . Also I love the way the servo endpoint are set . If you haven't already watch Finless's video on it .

I also have a JR g770 3d . It came with my T-rex 500 . Set up is a pain in the A@$# .

I know ppl say they are nice once you follow the instuctions to the tee no matter how odd they are .

I just cant bring my self to Screw with it after it only took 3 mins to setup the Spartan .
So Honestly I'm going to sell the 770 and get my self another spartan for the 500 .
Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Roger_15
Registered Users

Totsandman, I don't know what trouble you had but mine was easy. The only trouble I had was correcting my installation of the rudder servo. I could have left it alone but I had planed to change it anyway. But...absolutely no trouble with the gyro setup.

Roger.
Roger_15 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
totsandman
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_15 View Post
Totsandman, I don't know what trouble you had but mine was easy. .

Sorry I should have said SEEMS like a pain in the A%^

Like I said I have no desire to play with it after reading the instructions for it .
I much rather have another spartan .

I like that the Spartan can be fine tuned using your pc if you wanted to .
Also the fact that you can upgrade the
firmware is a huge +
And the way you set the endpoints for the tail servo is just insane and perfect .

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
maxman55
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsandman View Post
Get the Spartan Its an amazing gyro . Set up is a cake and fast . Also I love the way the servo endpoint are set . If you haven't already watch Finless's video on it .

I also have a JR g770 3d . It came with my T-rex 500 . Set up is a pain in the A@$# .

I know ppl say they are nice once you follow the instuctions to the tee no matter how odd they are .

I just cant bring my self to Screw with it after it only took 3 mins to setup the Spartan .
So Honestly I'm going to sell the 770 and get my self another spartan for the 500 .
I got a 770 with a 3500 and is so good and installation was so ease, this is the first time i set up a gyro and was piece of cake, so a recomended.
maxman55 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
skigolfmike
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both gyros and they both work great. I had the 770 on a Gaui 550, setup is easy and it holds great. I got a Spartan and put it on my Blade 400. That may seem like overkill for a B400, but the Spartan would hold the tail when a 401 would not. This was when I was running the Scorpion -6 motor in the B400.

The 770 takes more setup in the radio. The Spartan setup is really easy especially if you have Spartan USB cable. When you look at it from a $$s proposition, it's a $70 difference. Probably worth it if you want to fly extreme 3D.

IMHO, both gyros are better than a 401 and a 401 is way better than a stock gyro.
AMA# 3066
skigolfmike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
jprebb
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for all your replies. I decided to go with the Spartan and bought one last night. Hopefully it'll be here so I can get it setup and installed over the weekend. I'm excited, but I'm also easy to please!

Thanks again...

JP
jprebb is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Nikx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the 770,i dont think its as good as a Spartan but its a lot cheaper and VERY easy to set up
Nikx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
TheBum
HF Support

My HF Map location
Location: McKinney, TX, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikx View Post
I have the 770,i dont think its as good as a Spartan but its a lot cheaper and VERY easy to set up
A lot cheaper? Maybe in South Africa, but not in the US:

DS760 at ReadyHeli (regular price): $171
G770 at ReadyHeli (on sale): $170

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
bloogyct
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikx View Post
http://www.rcgear.co.za/electronics/gyro-s.html

Pretty good pricing for Spartans!!!

Considering the 770 is listed at R1900+ at JK - spartan is CHEAPER here!
bloogyct is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support