View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
jrohland
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Proud? owner

Freaks and others, I have been building a MJ3 (shaft drive) for several weeks now. Yes, I said weeks. It maidened a week ago today for under 1 minute until the main gear melted.

While I like the overall design, there have been some manufacturing issues with mine. It seams Minicopter has the problems worked out. I am waiting for new, smaller main and tail drive gears to arrive. They should solve the last of the problems.

Here is a synopsis of the issues:

Anti-rotation bracket mounting holes not drilled. I fixed.

Four of the five tail boom mounting block screw holes not drilled on each frame side. I fixed.

Either the first-stage and tail drive shaft bearing block mounting screw holes drilled in the wrong place or, the main and tail drive gears are too large. Minicopter decided to make the gears smaller rather than change the frames.

The other problem I encountered was the motor mounting plate was wrong for my Kontronic Pyro motor. I could have fixed that but the pulley shaft size is 8MM and my Pyro has a 6MM shaft. They needed to send me a sleeve for this so I had to wait anyway. Minicopter sent me the new motor mounting plate and pulley sleeve.

In the mean time Minicopter informed me the Pyro, 12s LiPo and 800MM main blades is not a supported combination. I had several options:

Change the motor (Revolution Models and Minicopter suggested I do that). I don't plan to do that.

Go to 700MM blades. This heli is to be a heavy lifter for HD video and FPV gear. I want the long blades.

Go to 10s power. This is acceptable to me but, I already have 6s packs. I have started building an inventory of 5s packs. I spoke with Minicopter about running 11s (5s+6s). They are sending me a 13 tooth motor pulley which will allow 11s, Pyro and 800MM blades. This works for me.

The heli is tail heavy right now. This is partly because I am running seperate battery packs. I can't move the entire battery weight fully forward in the battery bay.

Since I plan to run a nose mounted camera, the tail heavness should be an advantage when the video gear is mounted. In the meantime I will probably just use ballast.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote