View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #155 (permalink)
michael503
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Although I have not had the privilege yet of filming a full flight video, My experiments have yielded similar results, using small hops and different camera mount locations on my Trex500 for testing. I find that mounting to the canopy induces video instability. Mounting to a plywood support under the frame works best for vid stability for me, but the issue I'm having is with audio. The mic on these things is hyper sensitive. I either get a resonant whine at full speed, or lots of clipping, depending on where I place it. I tried muffling the mic with a piece of urethane foam and although that helps, It induces a low volume noise much like wind over a coke bottle.

I did some static tests and have found that the hole for the mic is useless. Tests involving speaking and either covering or uncovering the mic hole made no difference in sound volume or quality and neither did camera angle to the sound source. For purposes of sound recording, its best to consider the entire camera case as an omnidirectional mic diaphragm.