View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hotshot Charlie

Default Starting the Shogun Project .....

Welcome to my nightmare.... just kidding, this looks to be a fun project !

First, here is the pile of items you will need for the project:

Second, the gyro, might as well use a good one if you are going to 3D this little beast:

Third, turn the back strut around backwards. Also, I will make some carbon fibre tail support rods:

Problem with battery placement and balance, as you can see below:

Solved by cutting out a piece of lite ply, notice the grain is running long ways for more strengh:

Here are the dimensions:

Used a permanent marker to paint it black:

Used 30 minute epoxy to glue it in (not sure this was the thing to do, but I did it anyway):

Installing the HS-56 servos is pretty straight forward, other than you may have to do a little whittling around the openings to get them to fit. You will also have to drill new mounting holes, since the Shogun is set up for HS-55's that use one screw on each side of the servo. The HS-56's have the ability to use 4 screws (this would be overkill, just use one screw on each end and put them on the opposite sides like my photo shows.

The mounting of the rudder servo is a different matter. I used the HS-55 servo for this installtion. It (you would think) would just slip in and everything be just cozy.... well it was a little toooooo cozy. The top side of the servo rubbed the main gear, so I had to do some trimming of the mounting hole to have enough clearance to make it work. It took about an 1/8 inch of trimming to get the servo to mount without hitting the main drive gear. Also the holes (that are designed for the HS-55) did not match up with the servo, so I had to work to get it to mount. Also, for your benefit, the holes in the Shogun are too big for the mounting screws that come with the servos, so you will need to step up the size of the mounting screw. I found a larger screw in my parts box and ended up cutting off the end to make it work. It mounted fine and seems like it will be ok.

I know most of you are going to use a tail mount rudder servo, but I thought I would give this a try. I heard it didn't work very well, but I think with using some standoffs for the control rod, it can be made smooth as silk. We will see. You will notice how close the servo is to the main drive gear. About a sheet of paper is all you can slide in-between them. And that is after removing about 1/8" of frame.

Using the standard servo mounting place for the Tail Rotor Servo takes just a little bit of ingenuity. Use the forward anchor point, move the secondary support (cable tie) and make up a third anchor point on the vertical fin.

As you can see here, I used a old credit card and cut a stip and stuck the strip to the vertical fin using double sided foam tape. BTW, I stole this idea from somewhere else... can't remember where I saw it.

Be sure to use a short, self threading screw and anchor the tail boom on the front.....

And anchor it on the tail clamp end.

Don't forget to pull out this pin and glue it in place.... YES, Sar, mine practically fell out when I found where it was located. I would like to thank SAR for the info on where to find this pin. I bet I overlooked it 10 times.

Ok, it is hard to explain how I routed my antenna. I came off the receiver with some fuel tubing, running antenna inside that, then you can see where it goes. It basically goes to the horizontal tail fin and comes back to the front of the struts. I think I will probably go with a base loaded antenna when I find one.

Another view, and no the battery will not be secured like I have it. I just had it stuck on there while I set up the heli. I will secure it with a velcro wrap for flight.

Basically, it is now ready for it's maiden voyage. Wish me luck.

I decided to try a stubby antenna, the jury is still out on it, but it sure beats runing the antenna wire all around the world.

Here is a shot of my screw that I put in the place of the roll pin, that fell out even though I CA'ed the pin in place. I also thick CA'ed the screw in place.

I put the Ultem Gears in my little beast, here is what they look like installed. When you push on the tail gear, get a small socket that will fit inside the gear mesh to help push it on to the shaft. You may even have tapp the socket with a hammer to get it to slide on. I hope these work as well as they look. More on this later !

Again, another shot of the Ultem Gears Installed. Curlyq gets $23 a set for them shipped anywhere in the US, including a hex key.

Well after a lot of problems, I finally got her in the air.... even with gusty winds of 10mph. Stable hover, tail still not just right but close.

I had some receiver glitching, not the best idea to run a GWS receiver in this heli. That needs to be changed. JR Micro or Berg would be a much better idea.

I think this little heli could be a lot of fun, my frustration level with it is very high.

Still, I feel that I have accomplished a lot just to get it in the air.

On the Ultem gears, they are definitely a step up from the standard gears. I can recommend them, but I ate up the "purple" gear on the output (tailend) of the tail rotor shaft. Not sure I had a good mate with the Ultem gear or what. I will put a brass gear back on the shaft and try that. I will put a photo of what it did on here tomorrow.

That is about all I have on this project. Thanks for looking!
Hotshot Charlie is offline        Reply With Quote