View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
timewerx
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Steve! After all, you're the one who got me into this mess!

I was looking for the most crash-resistant CP, 4G6 turned out to be one of the most true enough. But it's crash resistance isn't enough for me, two broken blades a week, and one tail gear, for me, that's much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuck View Post
One question,

In the gear mod, why cut the plastic tube in half? and after cutting it why keep it there? Doesnt the tube keep the right bearing in place by pressing against the left gear? After u cut it is it doing anything being there?

Thanks,
True and great question!. But we don't want folks by-passing this step as it can be potentially catastrophic to the handling of your 4G6!

Since we rounded off the tail shaft bevel gear, the tail shaft no longer stops at the gear. Something has to stop it so that it won't drift to the left and cause actual tail drift during flight or worse, complete loss of tail control. Static tests have demonstrated this shaft drift in no time even with the complete plastic tube in place!

This is when we use the plastic tube(spacer) as a stopper instead - together with CA glue. We cut in half otherwise, it would make a huge mess if you try to squeeze CA glue to it and it will stick to the bevel, and worse, spread to the bearings.

And now since, nothing is stopping one bearing from falling out, we also need to CA glue it too but in very small amounts so when you need to replace the bearing, it won't take much effort to remove it.

To sum, do not bypass that step, it's quite vital to avoiding loss of tail control in flight.

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote