Thread: Gyro Delay 101
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
airjawed
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Evans View Post
Interesting thread. Delay is something that most people just ignore.

I have found that a little delay makes a big difference on my 500ESP using a GP780, but setting it seems rather hit and miss given that it's set by rudder stick position during setup. Unfortunately whilst messing around with setting the limits on my 450SEv2 (also with a GP780) having moved the ball in one hole on the servo disc I managed to get the dreaded GP780 tail twitch/wag again! Arrrgggghhhh! This is even using PU gel to mount it. I coiled the wires to the gyro (see PHOTO HERE) to be absolutely sure there were no vibrations getting through there to no effect.

This morning I decided to try to be a little more accurate than "stick 1/8 of an inch right", convinced that I must have inadvertently reset the delay on the gyro. Judging the delay by stick position is, as mentioned above, a bit hit and miss, so I made use of the SERVO menu on my Futaba 8FG transmitter to display the exact stick position as a %.

First the GP780 setup on the 450SEv2. I tried 0% delay in small heli mode (stick left), This was very fidgety. The 0% in large heli mode (stick right) and the tag wagged like a dog. 10%L left was better, but still quite twitchy. 20%L and the tail was "soft" for want of a better word, and wandered around a bit. 30%L and the tail was really not very well controlled at all. This suggested that somewhere between 10 and 20%L was required, so I tried 15%L. Rock solid. The difference in stick position setting this was tiny; I'd never be able to repeat it without the % reading from the tx SERVO menu.

Then for the 500ESP. Again, I tried %0 in both small and large heli mode. Tail was better in large heli mode being more twitchy than waggy. At 10%R still wagged quite a bit. At 20%R solid as a rock. At 30%R "soft" and wagging.

It would appear that with the GP780 setting the delay to max as advised at the start of this thread won't work. You need to get the delay right or you don't have a chance of setting the gain. Also you NEED to use the accurate servo position display on your tx or you'll never get repeatable results. I've just been lucky hitting the right delay in the past, and then unlucky when the tail "lost tune".

I'll be interested to hear how picky the delay settings are on other folks helis using the GP780.

Steve
Great tip on using the servo menu thing to get an exact number position to get the delay done accurately on the 780. The 401 has a pot to turn. The Logitech 2100 has led's... and many of them now have USB PC interfacing for the setting of delay. So method will vary.

Perhaps for your specific setup going halfway should suffice. And probably for most gyros and setups using half of max delay would be a decent place to start. However this will very depending on heli and tail authority. As long as you are on the side of having too much delay to start with then you can set gain first and then not mistake the bounce from delay for wag.

In my guide you are only doing hovering and pitch pumps initially for the setting of gain. Did you have trouble hovering with delay at max?