View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
jaydekay
Registered Users

Default Head Dampers, Shims and Step Washers

I've tried a few different options ("bearing mod", "5 shims, 1 Step Washer", etc), and for me I've finally found a combo that provides good dampening and holds up well and doesn't leave you with shredded dampers.

This is what I'm rolling with.
  • Trex 450 Dampers (I'm actually using the cylinder shaped ones, not the o-rings - either may work well, but I can speak for the cylinder ones)
  • 2 Step washers
  • 3 Spacers
Order:

[main shaft] [damper] [step washer] [3 spacers] [step washer] - > [blade grip etc..]

My reasoning for doing this is as follows.

1. The "bearing mod" provides no dampening - which was not ideal. It was a band-aid at the time.
  2. "5 shims and 1 step washer with the Trex dampers" works, but still left me with shredded dampers. This was happening because the shims would press up against the damper and slice them like little cutting discs. I've found that by having a step washer pressed up against the damper, its protected, and the step washers are thick enough that they wont slice up the damper. In my setup, I have the "step" side facing the damper. This keeps the shims in good shape as they have a flat 'back' of the step washer to press up against.
So - these are my findings and what has worked the best by far for me, and I thought I'd share the info. Changing out those dampers all the time is kind of annoying, and if you leave them in while their shredded, they lose their consistency which can cause your tracking to get out of whack.

So far, I've had really good luck with this setup - if anything changes, I'll post back.

Hope this helps!