View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #134 (permalink)
Raggedyman
Registered Users

Default mCP X TDR Style Paper Canopy - Black and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBeach View Post
Does anyone have a black version of the tdr canopy? Something without the colors... The black carbon fiber look is cool...

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Yes, color ink can be expensive and the whole idea is to make it cheap and something not to worry much about damaging in practice. I really like CyLLika's design of the Henseleit-like TDR canopy at https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=120 .

To save ink, the color was removed from firedragon's beautiful design (https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=128) except for the green replaced by black of the "comet" (Proheli refers to the splash streaks by that moniker). This left a black and white version to color in. (Sorry, if you want to color the "comet" in, it will also have to be outlined and the black taken out.)

Some of the redundant tabs were removed and some marked with a dot for clarity. The hole marks were taken out as I found my flexed frame canopy pegs were in different places. One can mark the canopy after fitting it to the helicopter and then put the holes in. The Photoshop .psd and .jpg files are attached. I printed it without making the file "fit to scale" as the software requested.

A few tips for those who are thinking to do this and are not quite sure, whether they have the skill for it. It took patience and some dexterity to color in carefully with "super tip" markers, cut the many angles with an X-acto knife, and then very carefully put it all together without tearing, while folding and gluing correctly. Glue the side sections first. Fit the middle piece to one side next. Then glue the other side section to finish.

Additional tools used were a scissor, glue stick, and retracted pen to shape from the inside while shaping the outside of the canopy simultaneously. Some small additional pieces of paper were used to help glue everything in the right place from the inside and reinforce to get it just right. Beside cutting, the knife was also used to apply some extra glue with greater precision than the wide glue stick head allows.

It took me about 4 hours. To me it was well worth it and the effort sweetened the result. I may post pictures, when I have the time and some daylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtdrv1_Color_Change03.jpg
Views:	2490
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	265211  
Attached Files
File Type: zip mtdrv1_Color_Change03.zip (347.7 KB, 1410 views)

Last edited by Raggedyman; 11-09-2011 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Errata
Raggedyman is offline        Reply With Quote