View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #272 (permalink)
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Evans View Post
I got a 450 ProV2 3GX from my lovely wife for Xmas, so this post is inspired by a happy couple days over the holidays putting it together.

Firstly the 3GX is a very neat little piece of kit, which thanks to it's SBus compatibility makes for a very neat electronics package indeed when paired to a Futaba R6203SB rx.

Users of Spektrum satellite receivers will have to connect to the connectors on the side of the unit which makes for a slightly less neat install as the wiring cannot be concealed within the frame. The flexibility of the 3GX in this regard must be applauded.

My goal was to keep all wiring within the frame, the greatest challenge being the AIL/PIT servos. The only viable cabling route was rearwards, and down behind the main gear. The cables initially had to be fed down between the servos thus. With this arrangement the servos can still easily be removed for servicing.

I completed the routing with the right frame removed. The leads were just long enough to reach down to the rear of the 3GX unit.

The ELE servo was rather easier and followed the same path down behind the main gear to the 3GX unit.

Mounting the ESC under the battery tray, an obvious location, was a bit snug to say the least, but it fits as shown below. I kept enough power/servo lead free so I can remove the battery tray to gain access to the motor pinion and AIL/PIT servos.

Having read about the 3GX reset issues, I figured it would be wise to keep the ferrite bead even though many claim it to be unnecessary with 2.4GHz systems. To do this I drilled a couple of holes in the battery tray for a cable tie as shown below.

Moving to the rear I needed to find a way to keep the two aerials perpendicular to each other. On my other helis I've done this by pointing one rearward in a short length of antenna tube, and taping the other to a rear skid leg. I therefore drilled the servo mount and pressed in a short length of tube left over from my 450SEv2 thus.

The ESC lead was run down the inside of the right frame as shown below, albeit unattached at this stage.

The frame side was then fitted and appropriate cable ties used to keep the cables in place as shown below.

Then it was just a case of adding the tail, the end result shown below. Note the 2nd aerial taped to the landing skid leg.

And here the tail servo cable tied to the boom support.

The data port is nicely accessible with the canopy on.

And the controls from underneath.

A tidy wiring job, even if I do say so myself! And it flies beautifully!

Steve
Impressive. Nice work Steve!
Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote