View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
forvols
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

new bearings installed (new bearings don't feel any better than the old ones )

Tear down revealed a great looking engine! The only issue on this engine (now 3 years of service) is that the ring is silver all the way around and I have an obvious compression leak from the ring. Cylinder looks great. Piston looks great (obviously brown in the exhaust port area), but both bearings were silky smooth. I've ordered a new ring, but it won't be in until next Monday, so I'll get to tear this thing down again to replace the ring.

Do I need to bother with trying to find an appropriate hone to hit the liner with when I replace the ring?

Anyway... the OS 50 fired right up after replacing the bearings. Good to know I didn't destroy the engine during the replacement eh?

I replaced the tail slider ring and the brass slider. Glad Dale advised me that the brass slider was reverse threaded! Makes sense considering the direction of rotation, but I wouldn't have thought of that before making a muck of things trying to get the brass slider threaded into the tail rotor yoke Thanks Dale!

So... Tx and Rx are charging. Glow igniter is charging, electric starter is charging. Plenty of fuel available.

I'll be loading all this into the work van in the morning in anticipation of flying tomorrow afternoon. NOA wind forcast for our afternoon flying session is looking like 14mph with gusts to 25. That means we will have 17mph with gusts to 28 Gonna be a bumpy flight for sure!

Anyone here really good at backward upright flight? I need to hook up with somebody that can buddy box me on my helicopter to help me get over the mental hurdle. I fly backward upright on the sim completely effortlessly. Using realflight 3.5 with all kinds of varying wind conditions and having absolutely no problems whatsoever! I can do well coordinated turns, medium speed, fast, relatively slow. I can do big turns, and tight turns. I can spend virtual tanks doing nothing but back to back backward upright stall turns (both shallow and completely vertical) with no problem. Yet, when I get the field I tense up, start shaking, and usually just say "not today".

I'm really tired of the disconnect between the sim and the flying field. If I can fly the sim like a pro, you'd think I could at least wholler the Patnera around for an extended time backwards wouldn't you?

I don't treat my sim time like a video arcade. I bail out of bad situations as I hope I would do in real life. I literally can fly for hours doing nothing but BUF, but am reduced to a shakey, nervous, lump of no confidence, doubting Thomas when it comes to doing the BUF for any lengthy amount of time in real life. Every so often I'll work up the nerve to do a circuit, but I quickly decide that I've had enough and will "save it for a better day".

Grrrrrr!
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is offline        Reply With Quote