Thread: Telemetry...
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
cyclo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a DX8 with some telemetry for my 450X and while looking for info to understand what would make sense to monitor I finally found these pictures - so now I know the temperature sensor can be used on the 440 motor!

I have a couple of open points:

a) how do you "fix" the sensor next to the motor? Glue to the motor mount? Glue to the motor itself? How do you make sure there is good contact?

b) I'm planning to monitor that (motor temp) and battery voltage. Would monitoring also the RPM make sense?

c) Should I choose the TM1000 or the TM1100? Did not find enough info to decide...

Couple points became three!

Thanks in advance to whoever will help... I know telemetry on the 450X is somehow considered "too much" (or even useless) but I'll really like to do this project sooner or later...
I just installed the TM1000 telemetry module that came with my DX8 on my 450X over the weekend. One advantage of having it, for me anyway, is the ability to verify that the battery I just installed is indeed fully charged. It also has a "after flight" review feature so you can check if there were any degradation in signals (frame losses) during the flight. I also mounted the temp sensor around the base of the motor to get temp readings.

To answer your questions:

a) The temp sensor can be looped at the base of the motor mount. The loop size is adjustable and is tightened by a couple of plastic tubes that you can slide. I did not need to use any glue at all. Note that this sensor can also be looped around a battery if that is the one you want to monitor. On my flights I am getting a reading of between 40 and 47 C. Immediately after landing, it shoots to around 51 C... the air from the blades keeps the motor cooler.

b) I have not monitored RPM yet so no comment.

c) TM1100 is the smaller brother of TM1000 and is lighter but has limitations on the number of parameters you can monitor.

EDIT: here is an image of the TM1000 on the lower back side of the 450X frame. I am still thinking where I can attach the sat receiver that came with my DX8 :-)

Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 500 | Oxy 5 HF 560 | Oxy 5 HF 625 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2

Last edited by cyclo; 09-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Attach pic
cyclo is online now        Reply With Quote