View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
mkovalcson
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk View Post
I think it will be a bit lighter than the existing 700's as its drive train is very simple.
The lightweight factor will help in every aspect of the heli, from performance to crash costs.

I have researched nearly all the existing 700's that are available right now.
Top of the list is the diabolo...
I seriously doubt that it will be that much lighter than a TDR. My guess is that putting a Scorpion vs. a Pyro in it will cancel out any difference in weight.

A TDR flies just as well as many other helis that are running head speeds 300 rpm faster. Recently I had a sponsored pilot fly my TDR and he thought the head speeds were closer to 2300rpm, but the tach said 1883 rpm.

In fact since the TDR is so effiecient that you could run twin 3300mah packs and still get respectable air time, however they make the TDR a bit too floaty.

I was getting 6-7 minute flight times out of 4000mah packs and went to 4400mah packs just to increase the weight not because I wanted more flight time.

BTW my TDR is quieter than my Protos 500... No exaggeration.

I don't think the Protos 700 will be light enough that it will fly noticably different and in fact I think you will end up choosing batteries to get the right amount of ballast for it to fly well. However the larger gears and long belt could introduce a gyroscopic effect that might make it fly a bit differently. That is just a wild guess not rooted in any calculations.

I do think the Protos 700 will have a very good following because of its simplicity, sound and crash costs. It will also likely have a much stronger supply chain with more readily available parts than the TDR or Diabolo.

The Diabolo is very nice and is definitely on my list for potential builds. It is a bit heavier than a TDR with more metal in it and a 30mm boom, however it is designed to handle meatier power plants like the Pyro 800. It really isn't a 750mm class heli. They've found that 742mm is the longest blades it can run and the people who've tried it all went back to 710mm's or 696mm's because the cyclic response seemed to suffer.