View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #291 (permalink)
jackcutrone
Registered Users
 

Join Date: May 2012
Default A few issues I have run into and what I did

Though I am far from expert and haven't gotten into 3D yet (bought the MCPx to practice so I wouldn't have the repair costs on my Trex 600), I do have some observations that might be helpful.

1. SWASH After reading all the problems with the swash being sloppy, my LHS advised that the first thing to do was get a metal swash. I got the microheli version and doesn't have the slop of the HH version. While it was $20+ it was a lot cheaper than repairing a lot of crashes. It also has the advantage of having the links go through an enclosed metal loop on each side so while I have had some links pop from a ball, I have never had one pop off both sides and get lost. I did discover that the loops are a little thinner than the linkages so I had to sand down the face of the links a little but now it slides through just fine.

2. GEAR The HH landing gear is very flimsy so I ended up ordering some from Airtime RC. While they are not absolutely indestructible, (after a lot of use, the post cracked off in the frame) they are much, much better than the stock landing gear. The guy makes them himself and they are much more sturdy than HH's. He has a very funny video at: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=399798.

3. FRAME I bought the RKH Rakon CF mainframe for the MCPx thinking that ti would allow me to convert to brushless someday and in the meantime be lighter and stronger than the HH frame with which I had problems with canopy mounting rods breaking or bending. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. The first time I used the instruction sheet's recommended mounting holes for the MCPx stock motor. Like the stock HH frame, the mounting holes are round not permitting adjustment of the motor/gear mesh. The gear mesh seemed tight, but I wrote that off to just the usual MCPx click-click-click as you rotate the blades or gear by hand caused by the very strong magnets in the motor. Well, it turns out that it was way too tight. The first time I tried to fly it the main motor fried. So, I wrote to Rakon and they suggested I use the other set of holes which are oval and adjust the motor until it was properly meshed. The problem with that suggestion is that unlike the stock frame which has a cage to hold the motor vertical, the RKH frame holds the motor with two motor mount heatsinks and there is a tiny,tiny screw that you use to tighten the mount around the motor. Having had an experience tightening similar screws on another RKH product and having the head break off, I was cautious about tightening them too much. I was never able to get the motor to stay perfectly vertical. It would always slip. The pinion and maingear would therefore not stay in adjustment. Between that and the fact that the CF rods they use for canopy mounts kept slipping too, I got disgusted and junked it and went back to the (overpriced IMO) stock HH frame.

4. Main gear After went back to the stock frame, I flew it for a while and noticed that after a few flights, I couldn't get the heli off the ground. The main gear kept sliding a bit on the main shaft and would lose enough mesh with the pinion that it wouldn't give full power at the head. Sometimes I could cure it by pressing the main gear back on the shaft but not always. Sometimes even pressing it all the way up the shaft, I still would not get the heli off the ground. I read enough posts about similar issues that I bought the Microheli delron gear which has a metal mount and screw that holds it tight against the main shaft. After putting it on, I noticed that it was not as tight as the stock HH gear which was apparently a hair too big. Anyway, with the new gear I have plenty of power and the maingear doesn't slip down any more.

5. The tail motor plug I had a main board go out and HH sent me a new one. When it comes from the factory, HH puts a dab of silicon glue on the main and tail motor plugs so they do not pull out of the socket. Once I took that off to mount the new board, while the main plug stays in place, the tail motor plug keeps coming out of the socket even in very mild impacts with soft things likes chairs or drapes, etc. I have seen posts that suggest tinning the prongs on the plug. I have not tried that. I put a little hot glue on to replace the silicon glue from the factory which works pretty well though it isn't easy to limit the amount of glue and it looks a little sloppy.

6. Boom One of the other things I did first, at the suggestion of the LHS was to replace the stock boom with the longer HH tail boom. I have not experienced any tail blowout but as of yet I have not tried any 3d.

Even with all the above described issues, I like the MCPx a lot. I will try some of the other things I have read in the long string of posts.
__________________
May all your landings be soft.
Align 600E Pro DFC, Blade 230 S, Blade 200 SRX, Blade MCPx BL, Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)
jackcutrone is offline        Reply With Quote