View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keyrigger
HF Scale Support

No, not quite. This is how I have three different scale helicopters set up right now. Each is slightly different and these were measured with a digital gauge so they are as accurate as I could get them.

Jet Ranger:
Cyclic - 7.5 degrees
Normal - 0, -1.6, 4.5, 7.8, 11.2
1,2,H - -4.8, 0, 4.5, 7.8, 11.2

AS350
Cyclic - 7.2 degrees
Normal - 0, 1, 4.7, 8, 11.5
1,2,H - -4.5, -1, 4.7, 8, 11.5

500MD TD
Cyclic - 7.8 degrees
Normal - 0, 0, 4.5, 7.8, 11.7
1,2,H - -4.6, 0, 4.5, 7.8, 11.7

Also shown are the amount of cyclic pitch I have for each model. If I take my Jet Ranger and AS350 and from a hover give them full collective pitch, they both climb at a very nice manageable rate and the motor doesn't bog down. I have also done that full pitch climb with the 500MD TD but not since I changed the motor to 12s and in that test, the motor did not bog down and only drew 38 amps doing that climb.

Those curves look very out of place but in reality the Idle 1,2, and H are straight lines and I have done some special work with the DX18 so that in normal, I start at 0 pitch and then intersect the regular curve and then it follows up to full collective. That is why some of them do no jive from the Normal to Idle curves.

The answer is yes, at 0 throttle in Normal, I have zero pitch and as I add throttle, the pitch is slowly added so at start up, there is never a transition from negative to positive pitch, which given the right conditions, will cause the nearly unrecoverable "Penguin Dance" and destruction or severe damage to the model. This is not the same situation as the slight shaking a helicopter does as it swings its blades out. That does not normally result in damage and if you are careful handling the helicopter after the first flight, the blades remain out and that wobble is gone on the next spool-up. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote