View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #777 (permalink)
cyclo
Registered Users

Default Beater resurrection

Well, my beater 450X has been resurrected like the proverbial Phoenix.

Here is the crash... landed heavily on its side. Despite the thick grass the damage was extensive: Broken blades, broken frame tab on the starboard side, broken main gear, broken gears on pitch and aileron cyclic servos, bent boom, bent tail hub, bent feathering shaft, bent swash links, cracked canopy.

The repairs would have been straight forward had the frame not broke. So I went to the LHS to buy the parts but when I got there it turns out there is a 450X on display without the AR7200BX... asking price was 200 bucks. I decided to just get it and transplant the AR7200BX from my damaged heli to it. My damaged bird has more than 300 flights on it anyways so might as well lay it to rest and just use it as a parts source.

In addition to the AR7200BX transplant, I added aluminum plates to support the tab so these won't break easily in the next crash. It is a pain in the rear to replace the frame as you have to basically build the heli up from scratch. I patched up the Fusuno canopy with CA and also added two ventilation holes on the top. This is to improve the cooling of the motor from the propeller wash. The problem with the Fusuno EX canopy is that the opening on top is smaller making for a hotter running motor which is fine in the winter but may be problematic in the summer. Finally I re-attached my capacitor to hopefully prevent brownouts. I left everything else as stock.

Here is the born again beater 450X on its maiden flight... I need to replace the tail blades with the orange ones from Fusuno as those look nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30-1024.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	421224   Click image for larger version

Name:	29-1024.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	421225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blade-450X-Crash-001-1024.jpg
Views:	1999
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	421226  
Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 500 | Oxy 5 HF 560 | 5 HF 625 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2
cyclo is online now        Reply With Quote