View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #201 (permalink)
ArchmageAU
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobob View Post
And then there is me....old fart, chicken-heart, coward....still cannot hover nose in IRL, but sim has gone CRAZY....in Clear View, with 450XL, in IU, rolls both directions, loops, back and forward flips, multiple piros, nose in flying, hovering....feelin' all cocky and slick at such new found skills.

Then it's outside for IRL heart-wrenching-palpitating efforts at normal hovering and flying 8's. Creating dry mouth and hypertension...and racing heart just doing such simple things with my 450's.

I guess I'm beyond the help of even the best training plan and syllabus; there must be something going on between head and fingers that is connected to the debit card or something scarier.

IRL Discouragement....IRL...
aerobob, Calm down, relax, breathe...

Yes the hip pocket can play a big part in the nerves of flying (so can the sim practice).

Step 1. I think your ClearView setup may be too stable, too easy. to replicate real flying. What speed are you running the sim at? What DR are you using? What expo are you using? What model? What head speed? Are you adding wind?

Step 2. Appreciate IRL flying will be more stressful and take time to become accustomed to. It took nearly 100 nano flights for me to become comfortable with the nano (and it's near indestructible). The 130x still has it's days (when flying in close quarters). My X5 is new enough to me that every flight gives me some nervous moments (even though I have piro-flipped it and flown inverted circuits with it).

Flying RC helis is hard. This is part of what makes this so rewarding (if not stressful).

Progress IRL like you did in sim. IRL progress will be quicker (and safer) because of the sim, but it still will be a progression path.

Just because you can do it in the sim, does not mean that you can do it IRL yet.

If you can do it 10 times in succession in the sim with no mistakes, no crashes, no gimmies, no nervousness, then you should try it (at height) IRL.