Thread: HK450 Build
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #69 (permalink)
xrayray
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
I've been down a transmitter, and can't maiden this thing yet, so I've been watching the finless bob videos, specifically related to the tail. I thought I had mine set up right, but I notice that if I set the arm on the tail to 90* to the boom, I have a ton of pitch that goes to the right. Do I need to do the grip flip mod, or do I just ignore that, leave it setup how I have it; 90* on the servo horn, 0* on the blades, ignore the slider to tail angle?

Edit to add obligatory picture. It seems like if I do the dremel mod, it will improve the condition slightly, but it won't end up giving me pitch in the right direction. If I do the grip flip, I will have pitch in the correct direction, but unequal throw in each direction. If it matters, I intend to fly heading hold.
I have a small point to make about the tail mods. I agree with the finless videos about how the geometry is wrong on the tail and needs to be 90/90 for the most correct leverages. WELL align F-ed up but their direction is correct. It's up to you. If the tail were to blow out, would you want the servo to be pulling on the rod or pushing? If you run a carbon rod would you like it to push instead? The flimsy stock wire is intended to have pull on it or else it would start to bend between the guides on a very heavy tail load.

Also, the dremel mod increases positive pitch just because the hub is further out. It doesn't just help pitch at the other side. Yes if you have preload set it looks like you have way more negative pitch than positive (towards the tailcase), but if you can set left and right endpoints on your gyro then you're fine. This is why the dremel mod is a little better than flipping the grips.