View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #86 (permalink)
Squenards
Registered Users

Default Phoenix: Problems (and Solutions) Updating to Newer Versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPilot View Post
Sounds like Windows 7.

MS introduced a new "feature". User Account Control

MS, knowing that many users give their day to day user account Administrator privileges. This is not recommended because software can do harmful (virus/security) installs as well as you installing helpful stuff. Because of course, when running as administrator, the machine is wide open.
People should run as a user and then when needed, log out, log in as the administrator or otherwise invoke the admin rights. While this may be best practice, it is not what users do.

MS added the UAC feature to make this happen as a default, so you are the admin but running with user rights

I'll do my best to explain it as I understand it. Someone who is MS certified can likely give a better explanation and is welcome to post one.

OK, so your user account is set as an Administrator, but the admin rights are not active. What happens is each time an action requires admin rights, either the action is denied (you don't see anything, it just won't work) or a pop up displays. The pop up does not require authentication (password) but simply clicking OK or Yes. Then the admin rights are momentarily active for this instance.

When this pop up occurs (at what level of security you want) can be set by you.

So that's why you need to select "Run as Administrator" when starting Phoenix, because it is not running with admin rights unless you have selected this. Even though, you are the Administrator, remember, you are running with user rights.

There are settings you can change which get around this new feature for programs so that they can be run as administrator without the user having to select "Run as Administrator" at each launch.

What we do at work is to set up an application to have admin rights. This means that as the admin, I continue to run with user rights, but have the authority to grant admin rights to applications on an as needed basis, or permanently.

I would not recommend changing the UAC control panel to Never Notify, but instead, run as administer when needed. You could do this at the time of launch or by changing security settings for Phoenix and then Phoenix would always run with admin rights.

I'm a Mac user so this is the best I can do for explaining it.

Mike

To get a look at the rights being run as the administrator, at a command prompt, type:
whoami /groups |more

Note that the response is "Group used for deny only".
Which indicates the UAC setting allows notification at the set security level.

I'm a Mac user as well. Will these sims run on one using Boot Camp? I hesitate to go to all the trouble if they won't work well. Thanks!
Squenards is offline        Reply With Quote