View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Xrayted
Registered Users
 
Posts: 11,204
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolynsbass View Post
I just tried this with Teflon tape (plumber's tape) tonight on my new (used) DX8, which had a "sticky" throttle - once it was moving, it was fine, but if it was stopped, it would "lunge" in the direction of your movement, as it overcame friction.

Anyway, works like a charm. I should've taken pics or something, but here's what I did with the tape:
1) Cut a 5-6 inch piece of Teflon tape
2) fold it lengthwise once
3) fold it widthwise at least twice, perhaps it was even three times... At any rate, it ended up approximately the same width as the tension bar, and was several layers thick, and all one piece.
4) then I heat-shrinked the ends onto the bar, and put it back.

The hardest part about this mod was just getting those rubber strips off the sides of the radio.

Now my throttle is smooth as butter. Just enough tension on the stick so it doesn't respond to random bits of thumb movement (shaking as you move rudder), but it moves smoothly and precisely to the next position when you move it up or down.

Thanks so much for this thread!
Good to know the plumbers stuff works! I never got around to trying it although I have some in the tool box. Sounds like a good rainy day project. I have a DX9, so no more rubber grip removal to get inside anymore
__________________
Tony
Synergy 516, Gaui R-5 Speed, Cypher Vtol Jet, Spirit FBL, Hobbywing and Scorpion Tribunus ESC, Xnova motors. The girl in my DX9 tells them all what to do
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote